Why I am not mowing today

Mrs.Cicero

15 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

A. my mower is broken

B. it's my kids' job

C. it's raining again

D. this is in the paddock that needs to be mowed

IMG_0094.thumb.jpg.06d76254c1e9174c3a7b4973a52790de.jpg

I would give almost anything to have one of those in my yard.  To hell with the grass!

• Like 2

Every now and then I see them walking through the yard with mama. I know they used to frequent my fenced back yard before we got the dog last year and started keeping the gates closed. I've seen them much less since the GSP has been patrolling the yard for renegade squirrels and everything else that moves.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

Every now and then I see them walking through the yard with mama. I know they used to frequent my fenced back yard before we got the dog last year and started keeping the gates closed. I've seen them much less since the GSP has been patrolling the yard for renegade squirrels and everything else that moves.

I only see them after Midnight on my security cameras walking down the street and stopping to munch on plantings and "things" growing on the Boulevard.  Sometimes 3 or 4 at a time, with their "young'uns".  Never in my backyard.  They are beautiful.

• Like 2

I grew up in a brand new suburban neighborhood that had been clearcut before the houses were built, except for the 20 acres at the top of the hill, and the 20 acres at the bottom (about 1/3mile down the road).  There were NO animals besides birds (robins, sparrows, mourning doves, cardinals, & bluejays), for years.  Now 45 years later, the deer eat everything in everyone's yards.  For the last 5 years running, a doe would drop a fawn (or 2) in my mother's hosta in the back yard.  This past year, they put up an 8 foot fence, because my mom wanted to have some uneaten landscaping.  The squirrels are fat on everyone's bird feeders - and I mean FAT.  Rabbits are everywhere.  And now they have coyotes eating people's pet dropkick dogs.  There is no hunting, of course... Although my dad keeps telling me he'd be real happy if I'd go sit on the roof with my crossbow and get him some venison, lol.

Anyway, I wanted something different for my kids.  The funny thing is, while they do appreciate the wildlife here on the farm, I don't think they quite understand how thrilled I am about all of it, (especially the bald eagles nesting up the river).  I have to admit I am mildly amused that my youngest daughter's response to seeing the fawn was, "WooHoo!  Future steaks!"  

And the real reason I wasn't mowing was E) All of the above!

• Thanks 2

About Hosta and Deer.

I have watched Deer eating among my large front yard planter full of Hosta.  I was wondering what they were eating since the Hosta leaves didn't seem to disappear while I watched.

I went out and looked at the planter, and the Deer were eating the Crabapple tree shoots coming up among the Hosta.  Not the Hosta.

My daughter can't grow Hosta because the Deer eat them right to the ground.  The only thing I found curious is that ours are variegated Hosta and hers are not.  I wonder if that's a reason. 

31 minutes ago, janice6 said:

About Hosta and Deer.

I have watched Deer eating among my large front yard planter full of Hosta.  I was wondering what they were eating since the Hosta leaves didn't seem to disappear while I watched.

I went out and looked at the planter, and the Deer were eating the Crabapple tree shoots coming up among the Hosta.  Not the Hosta.

My daughter can't grow Hosta because the Deer eat them right to the ground.  The only thing I found curious is that ours are variegated Hosta and hers are not.  I wonder if that's a reason. 

At my mom's place, the hosta are variegated and the deer usually eat everything else first, only eating the hosta when everything else is gone...  I wonder if that variegation is why, too.

• Thanks 1

My wonderful friend who loaned me his riding mower picked it up yesterday because he needs to mow his own property, so now

F) until I get my own tractor back from the mechanic, I can't mow.  

Anyway, I'm slaughtering roosters and rabbits today, and it's going to start raining again about the time I finish that job...

• Like 2