Kidney stones

SilverRidge01

Not one of the more pleasant subjects to discuss but thought I'd just pass on my experience with in the past week....had some extreme pain on my left side and I mean bad pain, like excruciating pain, couldn't sit or sleep, went to the Doctor we had scans done are they showed I had or was in the process of passing kidney stones, for you gents 50-70 it is a pretty common event so I'm told, very draining on your strength, mentally and physically no appetite not much sleep to speak of, even if memory serves me I took one of those powerful painkillers for the first time, they are truly devastating can now see why the government is cracking down on the dispensing of these drugs, totally shuts down your sensory system, you know where u are but don't know why. Can't understand how people enjoy being in that state day after day, me, I'd rather sip a few Foster largers and chill out that way, anyway,  got the new storm lake barrel for my G30, two G29 10m mags a box of S&B 180 gr 10mm and as soon as this event passes heading to the pistol range .... Another day paradise !! 

• Like 1

I had a kidney stone. One. One big ass stone. 13mm. It reaked havoc on me. 3 ER trips. Two stays in the hospital and 3 lipsotripsies to break it up. And I got ecoli. 5 months of pain fevers and hospitals.

I don’t recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What, if anything, are preventive measures? Lots of filtered water and cranberry juice? 

i know cherry juice helps with gout, but not sure about kidney stones.

Regardless, best of luck for a full and speedy recovery.

• Like 2

My dog developed Bladder stones.  The vet had to perform emergency surgery to save him when they plugged his Urethra and his Bladder almost burst.  It was torn already.

My real point here is that, first, I wasn't familiar with them.  They are a product of diet also.  Second, they are like marbles with radial razor sharp ridges surrounding them.  They slowly cut and shred the Bladder if they are not passed.

Kidney or Bladder stones. life has some real treacherous ways to make you want to kill yourself at times.

Sympathies to all with either affliction!

• Like 2

My first stone experience was a real lesson learner. Several hours of thinking a BM is coming which doesn't. Then you realize you can't sit or stand or get comfortable no matter what you do. 4 hour episodes for me.

I found for me I just curl up in a fetal position on the kitchen floor gnawing at the tile floor. When it subsides, it's like it never happened. Get up, dust myself off and return to the regular stuff before it lit me up.

None of the pain killers prescribed, worked for me. Easy to not get hooked when they didn't work in the first place.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KWalrad said:

What, if anything, are preventive measures? Lots of filtered water and cranberry juice? 

i know cherry juice helps with gout, but not sure about kidney stones.

Regardless, best of luck for a full and speedy recovery.

Filtering does not get rid of minerals, if you have a problem you need distilled.  Cranberry and Lemon juice can help make urine acidic which can help.  Depends on what kind of stone you have, there are 4 types, most are calcium oxalate which can be affected by a low oxalate diet.  Sometimes your body just wants to make stones though.  My wife has had them consistently since 16.

I think the way to keep them away is drink a bunch of water and gatorade fairly fast follwed by a couple of beers fairly fast.  That will make you pee like and idiot a few times and should flush out any bad business.

• Like 3

I had a 32mm stone. They blasted it, lasered it and then lipotripsy. Stlil fragments remain and now a 1 cm stone that hasn't grown since last year. They are going to keep an eye on it.Good luck. tom.

Edited by deputy tom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

Not one of the more pleasant subjects to discuss but thought I'd just pass on my experience with in the past week....had some extreme pain on my left side and I mean bad pain, like excruciating pain, couldn't sit or sleep, went to the Doctor we had scans done are they showed I had or was in the process of passing kidney stones, for you gents 50-70 it is a pretty common event so I'm told, very draining on your strength, mentally and physically no appetite not much sleep to speak of, even if memory serves me I took one of those powerful painkillers for the first time, they are truly devastating can now see why the government is cracking down on the dispensing of these drugs, totally shuts down your sensory system, you know where u are but don't know why. Can't understand how people enjoy being in that state day after day, me, I'd rather sip a few Foster largers and chill out that way, anyway,  got the new storm lake barrel for my G30, two G29 10m mags a box of S&B 180 gr 10mm and as soon as this event passes heading to the pistol range .... Another day paradise !! 

I was 18 when I had my first one and 30 something when I had my last one. Don’t miss it one bit. The solution to pollution is dilution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And the little lady, love the heck outa her, much compassion for my predicament while I'm withering in pain,  gives me the OH, heck you men don't know how to deal with pain, try child birth, that's pain, well my only response to her was " Hmmmm come to think of it it could be rather painful getting something the size of a cinder block through a little hole like that" I didn't get much of a response ... O.o O.oO.o:hugs:

• Haha 1

OP, I'm sorry for you (and all you other sufferers) pain! I see at least one kidney stone a week, and you can always pick those patients out from the crowd. they got this kinda dishrag-in-a-Mexican-restaurant look to em.

@KWalrad prevention depends on what they're made of. Which involves having one, catching it in a little net, and taking it to your doc to have it dissected.

"I hope you get a kidney stone" is one of the most vile insults I've ever hurled at a fellow human being.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

And the little lady, love the heck outa her, much compassion for my predicament while I'm withering in pain,  gives me the OH, heck you men don't know how to deal with pain, try child birth, that's pain, well my only response to her was " Hmmmm come to think of it it could be rather painful getting something the size of a cinder block through a little hole like that" I didn't get much of a response ... O.o O.oO.o:hugs:

You can tell your little lady that my little lady had two child births and I think she much preferred them to the stones.  They were both over 24 hours BTW so no Monty Python "would you get that for my Diedre?" birth.

Edited by RenoF250
  • Sad 1

most pain i ever had  GOUT , worse then that  INFECTED GOUT ,  i had to have a sac of gout on my elbow that was infected milked once  ,  comes out like milk  ,  that i the only time i had to be held down and crying . 

stones are in second place and yep they hurt ,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

You can tell your little lady that my little lady had two child births and I think she much preferred them to the stones.  They were both over 24 hours BTW so no Monty Python "would you get that for my Diedre?" birth.

My little lady when my son was born went into labor on a Sunday night and had em the NEXT  Friday ...:hugs:

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

At least after childbirth you have a baby to love.  After a kidney stone passes, you've got nothing to have made that pain worthwhile.

This may be  somewhat morbid to some, but I never professed to not being alittle off the wall myself, regarding " not having anything to have made the pain worthwhile " this one fella made a necklace outa his,  yup a piece of jewelry, alittle out of the ordinary HUH ?? 

• Haha 1