Today’s workout fun.

Silentpoet

Got a new bench shirt in today.  Brand new these run 330 dollars or so.  It is fairly new and no real wear that I could tell.  126 bucks including shipping from Australia.  I hit 315 in the bench and 325 I just couldn't get to lockout. After that I did some board presses. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My tendinitis screams just watching that.  I haven't been able to work out in almost 2 months and it's killing me.  On the other hand, when I don't work out, I don't eat much, so I lose weight...

5 Years ago I was training for a meet.  I was benching less, about 260 or 275. And I got bad tendonitis in my biceps.  It was painful.  I think the difference is now I am just deadlifting and not squatting heavy.  My biceps seem fine now. 

Weight loss is tough for me.  I have been stuck at about 230-234 for a couple of months.  I would like to get down to the 220 class, but I am not sure that is going to happen.  But at least my blood sugar has been decent lately.

8 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

5 Years ago I was training for a meet.  I was benching less, about 260 or 275. And I got bad tendonitis in my biceps.  It was painful.  I think the difference is now I am just deadlifting and not squatting heavy.  My biceps seem fine now. 

Weight loss is tough for me.  I have been stuck at about 230-234 for a couple of months.  I would like to get down to the 220 class, but I am not sure that is going to happen.  But at least my blood sugar has been decent lately.

8 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

What did you do to get the tendinitis to GO AWAY?  This started around last Halloween for me... I kept using it/working out anyway until two months ago when I saw my doc and she said she'd send me to PT, to see if that would help at all, but she really thought the only thing that would fix it would be to completely stop using the arm until it healed.  I laughed at that - I can't lift a 50# bale of hay over my head with one arm.  Or even a much lighter bale of straw. Who could shovel manure with one arm?  Rake the garden?  About the only job I have around here that only takes one arm is running the tractor...  Anyway, it got so painful I did stop doing my 4 day/week kettlebell workouts, but it isn't better.  Every time I try to use it, it acts up again...

I don't know about biceps tendonitis, but I had an awful case of golfer's elbow from doing too many towel pullups a few years ago. It was insanely difficult to make go away. After about two years, of trying, it finally went away when I did a long linear progression of deadlifts, which stress the tendon statically and not in a bound-up kind of configuration, and did a lot of icing and hard massage. I froze ice in styrofoam cups and peeled away some of the cup to expose the ice and mashed it HARD into the tendon about as many times as I could during a week.

I also had a pretty bad case of jumper's knee and made it go away in a similar way.

I read that these injuries only heal well under load, and that approach seemed to work. Especially with the golfer's elbow, I think it would've been around forever if I didn't make it go away.

• Like 2

Well, I worked out yesterday, but modified everything so I wasn't using that arm for weight.  I did discover that I can balance a Bulgarian bag on my shoulders for every imaginable kind of squat.   If I go slow enough, I don't even have to touch the bag.  Now my butt is so sore I can't hardly sit down.  Not going to do much for upper bodyworkout, but at least lower body won't waste away to nothing in the meantime.  And I can still do core/ab work.  I also discovered it is possible to do sit-ups holding a weighted ball under the chin.  That made it somewhat harder than usual.  I'm not sure why, since it was only a 3# ball.

Yesterday I did 295 for 3. It was so fast and easy I thought 305 would go for a double but I missed the groove and had to grind it out for 1.  I also did 315 for 5 to 3 board height.  

Today my left bicep is a bit sore.  Might need more rest.  It isn’t as bad as before but I’m going to have to be less aggressive with the weight.  

I did treat my arms and shoulders last night with DMSO and a menthol based spray.  I should have also iced it.

Below are the bruises from my shirt yesterday evening.

79ECF90C-FB8A-4CAC-A150-1978A7908407.jpeg

16DDD921-D571-4D97-B71C-6F1423AAD756.jpeg

Edited by Silentpoet
Added pictures

On 5/24/2019 at 9:48 PM, Silentpoet said:

Got a new bench shirt in today.  Brand new these run 330 dollars or so.  It is fairly new and no real wear that I could tell.  126 bucks including shipping from Australia.  I hit 315 in the bench and 325 I just couldn't get to lockout. After that I did some board presses. 

$330?  WTF kind of shirt is that?  I've been out of the game for years but they used to be around $50 new from Inzer.

Is it neoprene or some other material?

I've switched my routine up to start my chest off with inclines.  Lets me pre-exhaust my chest with less weight.  Only problem is I'm getting old and the wear and tear is catching up to me.  Gonna have to probably do light stuff (sets of 12) this summer - plus I need to lose some weight.

May add squats and DLs back in if I can keep my "meathead mentality" at bay.  Big damn IF though.

18 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Yesterday I did 295 for 3. It was so fast and easy I thought 305 would go for a double but I missed the groove and had to grind it out for 1.  I also did 315 for 5 to 3 board height.  

Today my left bicep is a bit sore.  Might need more rest.  It isn’t as bad as before but I’m going to have to be less aggressive with the weight.  

I did treat my arms and shoulders last night with DMSO and a menthol based spray.  I should have also iced it.

Below are the bruises from my shirt yesterday evening.

79ECF90C-FB8A-4CAC-A150-1978A7908407.jpeg

16DDD921-D571-4D97-B71C-6F1423AAD756.jpeg

Bench shirts will do that.  I've had them draw blood.  Squat suits are even worse - but I never could stand those.  Even in competition I always used just a wrestling singlet.

Do you have to get help getting into that thing?  I always did.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, Silentpoet said:

For squatting you may want to try the Manta Ray.  It kind of locks the bar on your shoulders.

Good news is it's less strain on your arms and more comfortable.

Bad news is it's not competition legal and (more importantly) increases the distance from your waist to the bar, therefore putting the back at a slight bit more risk.  So keep the weight down in the 10-12 rep range.

• Like 1

The sum total of my exercise today, was being able to waddle like John Wayne and a pinguin with hemorrhoids in the complete dark my wife left the house, while being attacked by an invisible kitten that thought my foot and leg made a great attack instrument.  I guess, it is good my children are past the Lego phase, or that would have been my equivalent of Iron Man.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

$330?  WTF kind of shirt is that?  I've been out of the game for years but they used to be around $50 new from Inzer.

Is it neoprene or some other material?

I've switched my routine up to start my chest off with inclines.  Lets me pre-exhaust my chest with less weight.  Only problem is I'm getting old and the wear and tear is catching up to me.  Gonna have to probably do light stuff (sets of 12) this summer - plus I need to lose some weight.

May add squats and DLs back in if I can keep my "meathead mentality" at bay.  Big damn IF though.

Bench shirts will do that.  I've had them draw blood.  Squat suits are even worse - but I never could stand those.  Even in competition I always used just a wrestling singlet.

Do you have to get help getting into that thing?  I always did.

https://www.elitefts.com/metal-pro-bench-shirt.html it is 2 ply of their original material.  Basically it doesn’t feel much different, material wise, than my Titan Fury single ply shirt. 

I don’t really have help.  I can pretty much get in it but not really get it setup good. The gym is a powerlifting gym but most lifters are raw. I could probably get some help.  I’m going to get some help as I get closer to the meet.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:21 AM, SC Tiger said:

For squatting you may want to try the Manta Ray.  It kind of locks the bar on your shoulders.

Good news is it's less strain on your arms and more comfortable.

Bad news is it's not competition legal and (more importantly) increases the distance from your waist to the bar, therefore putting the back at a slight bit more risk.  So keep the weight down in the 10-12 rep range.

They have a couple of safety squat bars.  I may try them out.  I’ve used a manta ray before.  It was very helpful when I had shoulder issues.

Now on to today’s fun.  I was really trying to work on technique and getting my upper back as tight as possible. I worked up to some moderate to heavy singles but not near maxes.  I want to build an arch but I mostly end up flat.  It’s still a work in progress.  A less successful effort was to work on keeping my shoulders tucked in.  I can for a single maybe but even there I tend to overextend at lock out.  

That was my last set of the day.  Pleased with the effort and strength at the end but the form could be better.

This single was my best of the day. It felt slower than it looked.  Trying to somewhat duplicate the form of benching in the shirt.  

On 5/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, Silentpoet said:

https://www.elitefts.com/metal-pro-bench-shirt.html it is 2 ply of their original material.  Basically it doesn’t feel much different, material wise, than my Titan Fury single ply shirt. 

I don’t really have help.  I can pretty much get in it but not really get it setup good. The gym is a powerlifting gym but most lifters are raw. I could probably get some help.  I’m going to get some help as I get closer to the meet.

I onetime toyed with the idea of taking a bench shirt and cutting the back out of it so that it would slip on kind of like a snuggie.  The idea would be to get the tightness on the front and still be able to put it on myself.

Honestly though I was never willing to destroy a (at that time) $50 bench shirt to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I onetime toyed with the idea of taking a bench shirt and cutting the back out of it so that it would slip on kind of like a snuggie.  The idea would be to get the tightness on the front and still be able to put it on myself.

Honestly though I was never willing to destroy a (at that time) $50 bench shirt to try it.

Most multi ply shirts are open back. My Metal Pro has an open back and Velcro.  With help the idea is you can get it set pretty tight with a closed back.

What I do on my Titan Fury is turn it inside out.  Slip the sleeves past my elbow and then do the other arm.  Once both sleeves are past my elbows I pull it over my head.  It doesn’t set it perfectly but it’s not bad.  Honestly the hardest part is getting it past my right forearm.  Same is true with my Metal shirt even though I don’t reverse it.

More fun today.  It was kind of rough workout in my home gym.  I used my hundred pound plates because I was hoping to go heavy enough to need them.  They are a pain to load.  

This video was my last set of plain bench.  I’m had problems touching all day. Plus with the way my rack’s liftoffs are setup it feels like I have to pull the bar out a mile to clear them.

This next one was really heavy for me. Plus at this range of motion the shirt doesn’t really help much aside from maybe stabilizing my shoulders a little.

My fest set of the day was 315 for 3 but I couldn’t really get it to touch my chest.  I didn’t video it because it was the first set after I failed with 315 where I actually touched but got out of my groove so it stalled half way up.

• 3 weeks later...