Double plane crash, Alaska

Just saw this on Fox.

At least 6 missing after 2 Alaska floatplanes carrying cruise passengers collide in mid-air, officials say

"Six people were unaccounted for Monday and 10 others were injured after two floatplanes carrying cruise passengers taking part in shore excursions collided in mid-air over Southeast Alaska, officials said."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-floatplanes-down-coast-guard

Most passengers are focused on watching for critters or checking out the view. When the pilots do it also, this is the result. I know several people that have died in mid air collisions. I spent lots of time riding in choppers to and from the oil platforms. The pilots liked to put me in the copilot seat because they knew I would be on high alert for 'enemy' aircraft.

Those views are unmatchable. I can see how even if someone sees it every day, it could still be distracting to the performance of vital tasks, like flying a plane. Also, you just about can't take a small plane flight in Alaska without seeing a crash site of some other small plane. Quite a few have augered into the side of a mountain due to sudden changes in visibility. Isn't there a saying about Alaskan pilots? If you haven't crashed yet, you will.

Taking a ride in a Beaver on floats in Alaska convinced me that I was destined to be a private pilot. Returning home, and actually sitting behind the yoke, in clear skies, over flat ground, in comparatively safe and boring circumstances, returned me to my senses.

In the late 90's my brother and I knew a guy that held tables at many of the same gun shows we participated in. Handsome fellow in his prime years. Flew for a lodge during the summer. Fateful trip, he had a plane full of paying customers. Otter or Beaver, I don't remember which. Flying over a river when a Cub comes up underneath his plane. Prop chews up the underside of his plane. Both go down and all perish. Very remote area. It happens all too often up here.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Couldn't have been very 'flyable' since both crashed onto the water.

I just went back and read the article, and searched and while there are no specifics that I can find... I'd bet money you're wrong.  One plane actually crashed into the water, and every occupant was killed.  

10 out of 11 people don't live in the other plane if it actually crashes into the water.  Humans don't survive that sort of impact.  

7 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

I just went back and read the article, and searched and while there are no specifics that I can find... I'd bet money you're wrong.  One plane actually crashed into the water, and every occupant was killed.  

10 out of 11 people don't live in the other plane if it actually crashes into the water.  Humans don't survive that sort of impact.  

I guess you haven't lived in Alaska and been aware of very many plane crashes. Yeah if they screw on into the ground, no one is walking away. But a controlled crash into the water is another story.

35 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I guess you haven't lived in Alaska and been aware of very many plane crashes. Yeah if they screw on into the ground, no one is walking away. But a controlled crash into the water is another story.

A controlled "crash" into the water is exactly what I meant. 

Which is why I said "damaged, but flyable."

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Like one landing on top of the other taking off.  :headscratch:

Prolly. Or the Otter was landing and the beaver accelerated into the path of the Otter, as you have extremely limited visibility below and behind you, so a plane accelerating can stay in your blind spot or move into it without your ability to see it.