Machete attack on the Appalachian Trail!

gwalchmai

For years, hiking all or parts of the AT has been a bucket list thing for me, and I studied up on the trail and mental/physical/logistical requirements for undertaking a long hike. As you can imagine, firearms are a hot button issue among the AT crowd, with the vast majority condemning the carrying of weapons. They preach situational awareness, but always default to the victim stance when evil appears. It's all unicorns and rainbows with this crowd. Hell, they don't even approve of pocket knives.

When I'm in the woods hiking, my threat radar is going 24/7. I take great pains to be aware of other two-legged critters in my vicinity -- those I pass, those I can see ahead. I take mental inventory of their affect and any potential weapons they might have. No different than walking down the street in an unfamiliar urban environment. And I'm certain many who frequent this forum do the same.

The bad guy in this case should have been visually identified as a potential threat. The victims should have had a plan to deal with him (and anybody they met on the trail). He was a predator, and they were his prey.

Wasn't the first time this has happened, and won't be the last.  The ability to identify threats and act accordingly is as important as anything in your pack. Hike in threat condition "yellow", until you spot company... then go to condition "orange". If things go south, condition "red" will be an easier adjustment.

• Like 2

For twenty four years, one of my summer outings would typically be a backpacking trip.  One of my hiking buddies was super liberal and he objected to the fact that I had a 9mm pistol in my pack.  I'd tell him, "It's not for bears. It's for people," but I don't think he ever got that one crazy guy with a machete can ruin your whole day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've always been of the opinion that it is much more important to be armed (and alert) while hiking/camping in the woods than while walking down a city street.  The solitude of a forrest or wilderness emboldens the crazies and the predators to act out, simply because they believe with less to no people around and easy to "disappear" by going off the trail, they can get away with it.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, minervadoe said:

One of my hiking buddies was super liberal and he objected to the fact that I had a 9mm pistol in my pack.

Even when it was just a bunch of us 11 / 12 year olds, doing overnight weekend camping in the woods,  everyone of us had a .22 rifle or shotgun.

Because those fish aren't going to catch themselves.

• Like 3

I love critters.  But, that doesn't mean I'm not prepared to use deadly force if threatened by 2 or 4 legged versions.  When I was into camping, I always believed it was better to be prepared then to wish I had been.  

• Like 4

I heard about this this morning.

Evidently the man and woman were with a group of people, at a camp site. When the crazy dude attacked, the rest of the group took the **** off and left them to their fate. The man was killed, and the woman played dead, and ran when the crazy dude wasn't paying attention to her.

• Sad 2

Several lessons to be had from this:

1. A nice walk in the woods can go south quickly. Be alert for the warning signs.

2. Be prepared to defend yourself and your family/friends.... that means having the equipment and the mindset to use it. Failure is not an option when it's kill or be killed.

3. Don't depend on others for your personal safety. "Safety in numbers" proved to be a false sense of security in this latest case. The wolf  attacked, and most of the sheep herd took flight. Just because a person isn't a perceived threat doesn't mean they can be counted upon to help if danger rears its head. Given fight or flight, the sheep will choose flight as the default response.

4. Distance can be a significant factor in saving your own life. Distance can mean precious seconds to defend yourself. Put some distance between yourself and others in a static situation when the others (and their intentions) are unknown to you. It's not being anti-social... it's being careful.

Edited by TXUSMC
  • Like 1

The AT was on my bucket list.  "Was" being the operative word in that sentence, since not every state the trail goes through has CPL reciprocity with MI.

Also, there are only two rules...

1) No place is safe.

2) No one is trustworthy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

When I first heard about that all I could think was what kind of person would do that without a gun? Then I remembered all of my wife's liberal college friends who talked about doing it. The sunshine and rainbows, and mama bears are always cute and cuddly crowd. Maybe the one who got away will get a clue and realize laws don't stop crazy. But bullets can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1