Okay wise ones

Zonny

Two questions. You stated the dishwasher drains. Have you confirmed it is actually draining into the disposer or an alternate drain? We have a double sink and the installer put the dishwasher drain on the non-disposal side. (Not how I'd have done it.)

Second question, does the disposer side sink drain effectively? With that said, if the food is not getting out, I'm not sure how well the sink would drain.

Edited by Bish1309
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Zonny said:

I need a plumbing question (I think) answered but I don't want to see any of your butt cracks:

My garbage disposal 'chews' things up but it doesn't spit it out. It just stays in the disposal. The sinks are draining just fine, dishwasher functions (doesn't back-up). Also have a Reverse Osmosis system hooked up to all the mess under there which is working just fine. 

Only other time I've had a disposal quit woking, it no longer ran. I don't know what would cause it to no longer 'swallow' the food. Do I need a plumber to clear something out or do I need a plumber for a new disposal?

Had a friend once who wanted to know what kind of caulk to put around the screws on the base of the disposal (under the sink - on the bottom of the unit) because they were dripping water.  In this general area:

garbage-disposal-leaking-from-bottom-scr

SEVERAL people suggested that this was not the proper fix......

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Had a friend once who wanted to know what kind of caulk to put around the screws on the base of the disposal (under the sink - on the bottom of the unit) because they were dripping water.  In this general area:

garbage-disposal-leaking-from-bottom-scr

SEVERAL people suggested that this was not the proper fix......

You never want water in the motor, and you certainly don't want to seal it up to keep water in the motor.  The water seals around the shaft to the impeller are shot.  Replacement is a more reasonable solution.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:18 PM, Zonny said:

I need a plumbing question (I think) answered but I don't want to see any of your butt cracks:

My garbage disposal 'chews' things up but it doesn't spit it out. It just stays in the disposal. The sinks are draining just fine, dishwasher functions (doesn't back-up). Also have a Reverse Osmosis system hooked up to all the mess under there which is working just fine. 

Only other time I've had a disposal quit woking, it no longer ran. I don't know what would cause it to no longer 'swallow' the food. Do I need a plumber to clear something out or do I need a plumber for a new disposal?

I sincerely apologize for the fact that I didn't read you post more carefully.  If the disposal "chews up the scraps" but doesn't discharge them into the sink drain pipe, I would disconnect the drain line out of the disposal to the sink drain pipe.  It's possible it simply is plugged there because of insufficient flushing after the waste is "chewed up". 

It may have simply laid in the disposal drain line and built up over time till it won't flow through anymore.  I can't explain why the disposal wouldn't back up if it doesn't flush properly.  This is the only paradox to me in diagnosing.

At any rate, it is "relatively" simple to remove the drain line to the sink drain to see if it's plugged.

Thank you guys. My mom always said she learned to swear watching my dad do plumbing.  Remembering that, I think I’ll call a plumber. I have a few other small (er) issues that he can take care of at the same time. 

• Like 2

If it is not chopping the food up small enough to exit the holes you have broken blades, no fix for that. they are easy to replace and depending on the HP they are inexpensive. the big cost will be labor to get it installed.  I own rental property, all the units have garbage disposals. I could write a book on the things I have found in a disposal. one in particular was a young couple and the unit stopped running. first thing I always check to see what's in it.

I turn power off and put my hand in there and think what the heck is this, pull it out and it's a doorknob. i'm speechless, I ask the guy why the hell did you put a doorknob down the disposal. He said they lost the rubber stopper and he thought it would stop the sink up to hold water.  bad part is they took the knob off one of the bedroom doors.

i'm tellin ya I could write a book on finds in a garbage disposal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Don’t go with the least expensive Home Depot grinder. I swapped out my construction-grade disposal with one of the higher end models. Suddenly, my wife and I can actually hold a conversation at the kitchen sink while grinding up dinner scraps. I had always assumed a garbage disposal was supposed to sound like a Who concert stuck in a jet engine. Turns out, there’s some very quiet ones out there.

8 hours ago, Airmotive said:

Don’t go with the least expensive Home Depot grinder. I swapped out my construction-grade disposal with one of the higher end models. Suddenly, my wife and I can actually hold a conversation at the kitchen sink while grinding up dinner scraps. I had always assumed a garbage disposal was supposed to sound like a Who concert stuck in a jet engine. Turns out, there’s some very quiet ones out there.

Nope. I will have the plumber furnish it.  Same with faucets. Buy them at a plumbing supply store. Get one with good guts; not plastic. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zonny said:

Thank you guys. My mom always said she learned to swear watching my dad do plumbing.  Remembering that, I think I’ll call a plumber. I have a few other small (er) issues that he can take care of at the same time. 

for future reference, keep in mind that it's a disposal, not  a dispose-ALL. Don't be afraid to throw some things in the garbage. Here are 9 things not to throw in the garbage disposal. some can harm the disposal others can clog your drains.

• 1 Bones.
  • 2 Celery. The fibrous strings tend to tangle around your disposal's blades. ...
  • 3 Coffee grounds.
  • 4 Egg shells. ...
  • 5 Fruit pits. ...
  • 6 Grease and fat ...
  • 7 Pasta. ...
  • 8 Potato peels.
  • 9 rice

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

for future reference, keep in mind that it's a disposal, not  a dispose-ALL. Don't be afraid to throw some things in the garbage. Here are 9 things not to throw in the garbage disposal. some can harm the disposal others can clog your drains.

• 1 Bones.
  • 2 Celery. The fibrous strings tend to tangle around your disposal's blades. ...
  • 3 Coffee grounds.
  • 4 Egg shells. ...
  • 5 Fruit pits. ...
  • 6 Grease and fat ...
  • 7 Pasta. ...
  • 8 Potato peels.
  • 9 rice

Hmmmm. Rice would be the only thing I’m guilty of. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 5:52 PM, janice6 said:

You never want water in the motor, and you certainly don't want to seal it up to keep water in the motor.  The water seals around the shaft to the impeller are shot.  Replacement is a more reasonable solution.

In the case I described it was the only solution.  What she wanted to do would be the equivalent of adding a belly pan to a car to stop an oil leak.

We set her straight.  She's a smart lady but not the most mechanically inclined.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Borg warner said:

• 1 Bones.
  • 3 Coffee grounds.
  • 4 Egg shells. ...
  • 5 Fruit pits. ...
  • 6 Grease and fat ...
  • 7 Pasta. ...
  • 8 Potato peels.
  • 9 rice

The only garbage disposal I've had a lot of work with was when I was at Clemson.  And it would choke down on spaghetti.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, Borg warner said:

• 1 Bones.
  • 3 Coffee grounds.
  • 4 Egg shells. ...
  • 5 Fruit pits. ...
  • 6 Grease and fat ...
  • 7 Pasta. ...
  • 8 Potato peels.
  • 9 rice

Based on this list, no need for a garbage disposal.  

Onion skins and high-grade titanium alloys are about the only thing I avoid grinding up. I have been known to yell, "THIS IS SPARTA!!" before flipping on the switch.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

How about this list, I have found them in one .

1. Rocks

2. Silverware

3. Hot Wheels.

4. Fishing line

5. Money

6. bag of crack.

7. Pine cones

I could go on.....

So.... Uh.... Whatever became of the money and the...uh....bag of crack?

Asking for a friend...,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KWalrad said:

So.... Uh.... Whatever became of the money and the...uh....bag of crack?

Asking for a friend...,

the money I left on the counter and the crack I turned in to the police dept.  the renters had already moved. I gave them the information I had and never heard anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I think my ex was guilty of most of them. Maybe not the bones though. 

Thus your distain for having/using one.

Disposal, not an ex. Well...maybe that too. :)

• Like 1