Okay wise ones

Zonny

I need a plumbing question (I think) answered but I don't want to see any of your butt cracks:

My garbage disposal 'chews' things up but it doesn't spit it out. It just stays in the disposal. The sinks are draining just fine, dishwasher functions (doesn't back-up). Also have a Reverse Osmosis system hooked up to all the mess under there which is working just fine. 

Only other time I've had a disposal quit woking, it no longer ran. I don't know what would cause it to no longer 'swallow' the food. Do I need a plumber to clear something out or do I need a plumber for a new disposal?

• Thanks 1

I've seen where the blade (the little propeller chewer-upper-thingy) was worn / broken (they have little pivot-arms on them that can break / come off).  It would chew the stuff up pretty good,  but not enough for it to go through the exit holes.

• Like 1

And don't ever come home from school,  to find Mom wicked-mad and covered in gunk,  with half of Dad's tools scattered around the kitchen,  only to inform you that it took her all afternoon to dislodge a BB that was jammed in the garbage disposal.

Because she'll be really really pissed.

• Haha 3

It also may be a case of the blades being stuck or rusted in place. We had one that didn't get used often enough and the blades no longer spun freely. 

Unplug it from the outlet, disconnect it from the sink and drain line, take it outside and give it the once over. There should be a spot for a wrench on the bottom where you can turn it while looking inside with a flashlight. If the blades aren't all turning, lube it and try to break them free with a long screwdriver or replace it.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

• Like 1

HK and KW are probably right,if you have a lot of Iron in your water the Impellers are probably stuck or rusted in place.

and unplug it before you reach in and see if they move.....

Edited by holyjohnson
safety first!
  • Like 1

Everything is free spinning. I don't see any evidence of 'teeth'. Are they underneath that plate?

I will try the above cocktail. Although since it's going to pour right through, I can't imagine anything will have time to 'work'.

If found this: 

Disposal Grinds Poorly

If your disposal grinds poorly, make sure that you are running enough water while operating the unit and that you are not grinding matter that you shouldn’t.

If you can hear the garbage disposal running but it is not grinding, the blades may be broken.

Normally, it isn’t worth trying to repair a broken garbage disposal. It’s usually easier and cheaper to just replace the entire unit.

Guess it's time to invite some butt crack to the house ;)

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dan Guillory said:

Before you disconnect anything, try pushing the “reset” button. Look around body to find it.

It runs just fine. It just doesn't process the waste enough that it 'goes away'.

5 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Could the holes, like in the picture be clogged?  Are you SURE the blades are revolving?

Mine got stuck once and sounded like it was running but it was locked up.  Put my hand down there and moved them around a bit and it freed them up.

Yes. They're free. Just like Willy.

someone once told me to try to put a cup of ice cubes followed by a cup of rock salt then run the water and disposal,i never tried it,i just replaced the disposal.

but this person never lied to me before,of course i only met them that one time.

1 It spins when the switch is turn on.

2 It reverses direction each time you turn on the switch.  It must slow down to a very low      speed first, the blades can get stuck in place and not fly out thereby not chopping              scraps.

3 The blades fly out when it spins up to the stop due to centrifugal force, each time the        switch is turned on.  ( many times you can hear them click when they do this)

4 There is free water flow through the disposal whether it runs or not.

5 If it meets all the above and you are still not chopping up scraps, it's either working            poorly, or worn out.

6 If it doesn't do the above functions, either take it out and repair it, or replace it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're blades could have become dull with years of use.  The other issue might be a fuse burning out that powers your disposal.  In either case, I suggest a professional looking at the situation for safety reasons.

9 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

It's fubar'd. 

Yes, it is fakakta.  But, she was looking for help.  That is why I suggested a professional look at it.  I think she is a nice lady, and I don't want her reaching in and getting a stub for a hand.

• Thanks 1

When replacing the disposal you might consider a batch disposal. It requires you to put a stopper (usually magnetic) before the disposal will turn on. This very useful for people with children, or have a strong fear of sticking their hand in a disposal for fear of coming out with a bloody stump(s).

On the downside you cant watch stuff get ground up. This may lessen children from wanting to play with the disposal.

• Thanks 1