A Bit of Panic Sets In...

tadbart

I have ELEVEN classes left of my Master of Science in Nursing- Family Nurse Practitioner school. Eighty-five days.

Twenty-five shifts at work.

This semester seems to be all about test prep and role understanding.

After I graduate, I have a Board licensure test to take. 150 questions, pass or fail. Assuming I pass (I reaaaalllly need to brush up on anemias, murmurs, and developmental milestones), then there's applying for an NPI number (allows me to be reimbursed by Medicare) and a DEA (yeah, those bastards) background check and licensure.

From there, I just gotta con someone into hiring a brand new, scared to death Nurse Practitioner. As it stands today, I've interviewed for one job ("Come back with a license and we will talk numbers!"), and been asked to apply for 2 others. Unfortunately, the one where I think I will learn the best and not be in a sink-or-swim scenario, pays the least, by A LOT. But I like the place, the owner, the staff. The drive sucks, but I'm used to it, driving to school, and I can do 2 days in a row with a hotel night in between, tax deductible. Might push for a part-time gig there, and a full-time gig in the fast track of my ER. The other job is at a SUPER fast paced urgent care. The owner PAYS, is brilliantly intelligent, and a royal sketchyass prick. Part of me wants to wing it, and chase the cash, and the rest of me is shooting off sirens, red flags, and foghorns.

It's starting to sink in. The State will most likely trust me with a prescription pad. I've been a nurse for a while- the idea of poking people with needles and doing the "prep work" for the docs has always come easy. Actually DIAGNOSING, based on said prep work, and basing a treatment plan on that diagnosis, is scary AS F#&%.  

Gonna wind up $28k in debt for this degree- honestly not that bad, considering the possible upside. A decent investment, which will probably pay itself off the first year. No vehicle payments, no credit card payments, just a mortgage and cyclical bills. Decent place to be in. I just need to hold off on the S-class Audi and max my retirements, while saving for the ranch land in Colorado.

Perhaps I won't kill people. Much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Start your square breathing, in-2-3-4-5, hold-2-3-4-5, out-2-3-4-5, nothing-2-3-4-5.

go with your gut on the job.

focus on finishing school first, then review course, I took the “necessary” something one, you’ll do fine with whatever you pick or a self study Fitzgerald.

relax buddy, you got this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Fitz, Liek, others... man, it's a whirlwind. Add the emotions of surviving this crap with people who have become friends and confidantes (More than EMT, LPN, RN, BSN classes), to the reality... it's a lot.

I'll try to keep my head screwed on straight. There's plenty of practice tests to take, before the big one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, willie-pete said:

I can only offer a small bit of advice.

Never work for a prick.

Been there, done that, no fun, luckily he left before I did.

Sir. We met. I know you're wise. This is good advice.

• Like 4

Thanks for the update Tad. I've been wondering how "short" you are. You've got this, don't let your evil brain voice convince you of anything different. You've worked harder than 98% of the people in this country to get to where you are. Hell, you've probably actually done, or at least been a hands-on assistant to everything that you've been book learning for the last forever-and-a-day.

You've got this. 150 questions? Puh-lease! You can answer that many in your sleep while standing on your head. Remember, deep breathes and do your kagle exercises.

Perhaps you won't kill people. Much.

Much.

I don't know for certain, but I would be willing to bet that there's a saying amongst veteran doctors and nurses that says that One isn't truly a Doctor or Nurse until they have lost a patient.

As bad as losing a patient is, if you've done everything that you could possibly due, and you performed in accordance with your training and industry standards, then you should be able to sleep at night with a clear conscious. It's going to happen eventually. Bear in mind that you're a trained Professional and you've sacrificed and worked your ass off to get to where you are. Finish this. Kick its ass, get that paper in your hand, and go be the best damn you that you can be.

And don't kill people. Much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What do you hear about that thing?
  The Brooklyn thing?
The guy from downtown.
  The guy from where Christie lived?
The guy who disappeared, the one they made the beef on. Know the guy I mean? His name was Batts. His people are driving everyone crazy looking for him.
  Nobody knows what happened. He came into the joint that night and then just disappeared.

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

One day at a time. Does NCLEX make the exams at the NP level?

I'd intended to do as you did, but I was having fun working in the ER, and time passed, then suddenly I was too close to retirement to take it on.

Good luck with the exam! When my parents were alive they tried to stop seeing docs and the NP instead.

PS: get a cloth tubing cover for your stethoscope. They look cool and will keep the tubing from forming a permanent bend from wearing it around your neck.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 2

You'll be fine. I can kinda understand what you're going through. My grandson who lives with me has been training to be a paramedic. He's taking 24 college credits while building a house and volunteering at the local f.d. He just received his EMT license. I expect we'll be hearing good news from you soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paul53 said:

One day at a time. Does NCLEX make the exams at the NP level?

I'd intended to do as you did, but I was having fun working in the ER, and time passed, then suddenly I was too close to retirement to take it on.

Good luck with the exam! When my parents were alive they tried to stop seeing docs and the NP instead.

PS: get a cloth tubing cover for your stethoscope. They look cool and will keep the tubing from forming a permanent bend from wearing it around your neck.

There are 2 accrediting bodies that offer the test. AANP and ANCC. I'm taking the AANP test.

I understand about the passage of time- I made a promise to finish by age 45. Beating that by mere months.

Been reading reviews on those electronic scopes- my hearing isn't the greatest anymore. Pondering one of those as a gift to myself. Not so sure about the cover- seems like a good place for bugs to hide...

• Like 2

It is normal to look upon a future endeavor when we are comfortable with where we are today.

But, comfort leads nowhere, keeps us where we are, what we already know, what we have done rather than what we will do.

Get out there and kick the future's ass, amigo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tadbart.

I have negotiated contracts for MDs. Unerringly, student debt has been taken over by the hiring party.

In your case, it goes like this. You'll also have a pad.

So I would suggest that you check around if what I'm telling you is applicable in your area. I bet it is.

Best,

Ricordo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everything is impossible until you do it.

You got through nursing school. I can't imagine you'd fail now. Some of the greatest actors are supposed to have used Inderal for horrible stage fright. But they didn't have the brain trust of The Bore Sight behind them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tadbart said:

There are 2 accrediting bodies that offer the test. AANP and ANCC. I'm taking the AANP test.

I understand about the passage of time- I made a promise to finish by age 45. Beating that by mere months.

Been reading reviews on those electronic scopes- my hearing isn't the greatest anymore. Pondering one of those as a gift to myself. Not so sure about the cover- seems like a good place for bugs to hide...

So that’s different from other scopes how?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

yup. just ain't had the time to use it. sure is beautiful, though!

I think that if you take that thing out and put it through its paces, you might relieve some of your stresses.

All work and no play, as they say.  

:biggrin:

• Like 3