Anyone Able to get Anything Planted This Spring?

DrB

2 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Yuzu is a citrus that originated in China/Tibet with the flavor of lemon/lime/grapefruit/mandarin.  It unusually cold hardy for a citrus, growing into USDA Zone 8.  It is used mostly for the zest and juice of the fruit for things like ponzu, drinks, etc.

2560px-Yuzu_oranges_(6459456959).thumb.jpg.04e166a5ca6f1dc25a4f6b75807a8c24.jpg

Thanks.....  I learned something new this day.....  Hope your trees do fine for you...

Dave...

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 4:12 AM, tadbart said:

My bud in Alaska is getting his land ready for pumpkins, cukes, tomatoes, and cabbages. They grow some ridiculous stuff up there. His wife cans enough tomatoes and squash to last for two years, every year. And pickles? Peppers? Just obscene. Never in a million years would I have believed the produce that comes out of South Central Alaska, if I hadn't seen it myself.

19 hours of sunlight daily, comes in handy ;)

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soooo, not only is my planting schedule screwed up, I can't even mow.  The hubby broke the steering on the tractor the day before he left for Lithuania 3 weeks ago.  He called the mechanic and they said they could pick it up in three weeks.  He said I couldn't get it on the trailer by myself.  Well, that's the wrong thing to say to me.  I figured out how to do it (a long story that involved fixing several issues with the trailer, and then repeatedly picking up the front end of the tractor to aim the front wheels... and driving the tractor in reverse everywhere it needed to go to get up the ramp onto the trailer). I got it to the mechanic a week ago... and there were still 14 tractors ahead of me waiting to be fixed before they could get to mine. (It was put on the list when hubby first called it in).  We've had so much rain, the grass is LITERALLY (and I am using that world correctly) over the top of my knee-high muck boots.  A friend dropped off his tractor yesterday for us to try mowing with that before hubby gets back from Lithuania tomorrow night, irate that the grass is unmowed,  Anyway, I wasn't home yesterday and oldest daughter started the tractor fine but couldn't get the PTO to start.  When I got him, I couldn't even get the tractor to start... it turns over but doesn't catch.  It hough I'd just deal with it today after church... but IT RAINED ALL AFTERNOON.  AGAIN.  Anyway, the grass isn't mowed.  The corn isn't planted.  And the hubby isn't going to be happy.  Gardening is usually my Happy Space, but not today!  Instead, I am going to clean out some meat rabbit cages, wearing rose gloves so they don't make my arms look like some crazy ass cutter.  And try to get over my grump.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, DrB said:

Yep... Here also. Rain and temp in the 40's.  Weather report says same for pretty much all next week.

Dave..

We have had three days steady of cold drizzle rain.  I'm wondering if I can get the wife to believe she has had a week in Seattle...……….  

It's raining in Northern California again.  Pretty odd for this time of the year.  All the plants are in a holding pattern.  One good thing from having the sun blotted out and the sky opening up is I had a bunch of really tiny larvae eating my zucchini.  The rain seems to have drowned them.  It saves me the trouble of spraying the tomatoes and zucchini with some horticultural oil.  I'll make a pass with the sprayer once the rain goes away. 

19th of May and we're still having snow in the high country.

Largest ski resort in the state closed for the season just today. Still plenty of snow, I think it only closed because there is no one to staff it once Northern AZ University dismisses for the Summer.

Crazy weather. Supposed to be a 'high' of 69º in Phx on Wednesday.

Wife and I went to the range on Saturday and it seemed like every farm field had at least one tractor if not multiple ones in them as the farmers were rushing to beat the next wave storms.

We only seen a handful of fields that had been planted and had new growth. Been really wet this year and the timing of the storms hasn't allowed for the farmers to get into the fields.

We started doing hydroponics three years ago. 

Late winter, I enclosed one of the 4x8 beds with clear plastic, hung a heat lamp and planted tomatoes, celery, and onions. The celery got to 4 ft tall when we started havesting it and the tomatoes have set lots of fruit.

The onions are kind of an experiment. I don't know how they will do in a hydroponic garden. They look really good, but the onion bulbs seem kind of small.

Now that it is getting warmer, I am thinking about mounting a fan to blow through a screen that is wet when the hydro pump is on. Maybe it will keep the tomato plants cool enough to keep bearing when it starts getting really hot out.

I FINALLY got to mow today.  Didn't finish, but at least I can say I mowed some.  And I planted more stuff in the hoop house.  The dirt garden outside is still too wet.  I'll get something planted in the three remaining tires tomorrow, between thunderstorms, probably.

Northeastern Indiana.

Rain, rain, more rain.  Cold too.

I have been able to mow.  In addition to my yard, we own a small city lot and I also mow the large church lot.  Yesterday I was running the riding tractor through some puddles in the church lot  but got it done.

Mrs. N and I did see a couple of farm fields near home that have planted field tomatoes.   Otherwise its a bad year to be a farmer.

We had lots of rain last year too, especially in late summer where it is normally dry here.

Mrs N has managed to plant a few tomatoes, and worked around her small plot of black berries and asparagus. 

No rain for a couple of days here.  I've been picky about not mowing the grass when it is wet this year, so now it is a little too long and I've got fox tails sticking up all over the place.  Time to mow today.  Intermittently, we're still getting rainy wintery weather.  Last week the weather guy said the clouds were diverted from Indonesia.  This week, they are supposedly from up North.  It's strange weather, that's for sure.

I harvested 10 cups (1 plastic grocery bag) of arugula yesterday and made a pint jar of arugula pesto.  (Pine nuts have gotten damn expensive, I'm thinking I should find out if I can grow my own).  Anyway, DH likes it better than pesto made with basil.  I like it just as well.  I had to use the immersion blender to do it, because my food processor croaked last year and I haven't replaced it.  It was a little messy, but not too much trouble.  And it's way easier to clean.  I have enough arugula that still needs to be harvested asap (it's going to seed) that I may do another batch tonight.  Unless I try this Warm Mushroom&Arugula Salad recipe that's staring at me from the recipe book on the counter.  

I also made 7 half-pints of rhubarb jam with nutmeg, because Father's Day is coming up, and my dad prefers rhubarb jam without any berries adulterating the tartness.  I have enough rhubarb on my counter to make another batch, and a crumble, I think.

I grew Jericho Lettuce in the tire garden and it's a foot tall and needs to be eaten, too.  That's the second year I've grown it, and both years it has done better (up earlier, taller, thicker, and last longer into the summer) than any of the other lettuces (I usually try to grow 3-5 different ones, because I grew up on Iceberg and can't stand it).  I should let a bit go to seed and see how it does from that instead of the commercial stuff I've used so far.

So despite the stupid rain (which we had more of this morning, and will likely have every day for the next week), the garden is still producing.

• Like 1

Well more rain on the way here.....  Just dried up enough so I could mow somewhat.  Grass so high I have rabbits making nests in the yard.  My Border Collie loves chasing them though.

Dave..