"Manly Monday" - IMO this is great

SC Tiger

8 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm glad they are learning stuff like this, but it's sad that they aren't learning it at home from their dads.

A lot of them probably don't have dads to speak of.  I think that's why he does this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I taught my daughters to do that kind of stuff.

One is an artist and she soldered Copper pipe and fittings into a 4'X8' lawn art piece.  With good joints I might add.

She is now carving a character out of an 8' tree stump in her yard with a disc grinder.

Another has found that she loves doing remodeling and sheetrock.  He husband is wondering when the whole house interior will be done.  She even changed the hall doors into pocket doors, all by herself.

• Like 4

My dad never took me hunting, my dad never taught me how to build things.  Unless it was TV or dinner he could really care less.  The only thing we ever really did together was firearms, back when he had his FFL forever ago.  I had to teach myself with the guide of some older hunters what to do.  When I built structures on my property for livestock, the next building was better than the next, because I got better at making them.  Sadly, due to my limitations, no more building, and that is sad.  Right when my son got interested in learning to use the hammer drill and getting more involved, his old man fell apart.  I have spent a LOT more time with my kids than my father ever did.  I actually played with them at their level, like hot wheels cars, and nerf, etc.  When I was three I well remember spending a lot of time by myself, locked from the outside in.  My own heartbeat used to scare the hell out of me, because I had no clue what that sound was when I was a tyke.  I got used to the idea of long stretches of time by myself.  I became comfortable with being alone.  Family time was being hauled off to a nasty Church, learning most of the profanity I know, and learning how to be a chore monkey.  From 13 on that is what I was.  Son, stain the house.  Son, go work this guy's yard.  So, go pull all the weeds.  Son, I got in a ton of gravel, you can find the shovel in the garage.  Son, the redneck idiots down the road broke the mail box.  Build a really big, deep hole through the caliche, and on and on.  But, on the bright side I learned a work ethic that I can't seem to shake.  The only problem, is my mission first mentality, is probably shortening my lifespan. 

Well, this pile of laundry sounds done.  I can rest when I am dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

One is an artist and she soldered Copper pipe and fittings into a 4'X8' lawn art piece.  With good joints I might add.

She is now carving a character out of an 8' tree stump in her yard with a disc grinder.

Another has found that she loves doing remodeling and sheetrock.  He husband is wondering when the whole house interior will be done.  She even changed the hall doors into pocket doors, all by herself.

You should take the art piece and do a water pressure test on it........ :anim_lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Probably no time at prison visitation to teach that.

Hey! hey!

No call for that negativity!

We do lots of good things here. We just don't want people moving here seeking nirvana. Leave us alone

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

You did good J.

If she's free, I'd like to put her on the payroll for a couple of weeks. I've got some drywall ceilings that could use some touch up. How is she at replacing siding?

C'mon over with her. I'll make some sun tea for you to enjoy while she teaches me how to do the job correctly. True Craftsmen/women that care about quality are in short supply these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KWalrad said:

You did good J.

If she's free, I'd like to put her on the payroll for a couple of weeks. I've got some drywall ceilings that could use some touch up. How is she at replacing siding?

C'mon over with her. I'll make some sun tea for you to enjoy while she teaches me how to do the job correctly. True Craftsmen/women that care about quality are in short supply these days.

Of all the remodeling jobs, I hate sheetrock the most.  She makes me feel ashamed with the ease with which she does it and the smoothness after the final mudding. 

Although, because of my experience with furniture building, I wish she would have put more complex artful detail into the woodwork of the new stairway she put into the basement.  She did great work, but my likes tend to more detailed Arts and Crafts embellishments than hers.

I couldn't be more proud of my "girls", they put many so called knowledgeable men to shame with the quality of their work.  Oh, and they carry guns!  In her "spare time" she has a full time job, just to get out of the house and relax.

She is in her 50's and all this is simply "fun" to her.  She has beat Cancer and a multitude of physical ailments to date, but she doesn't ever give up.  I sometimes think that she feels that she  can't leave this world if she hasn't finished all her house work.

Oh, she has never done siding.  I don't know if she likes to do that.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Of all the remodeling jobs, I hate sheetrock the most.  She makes me feel ashamed with the ease with which she does it and the smoothness after the final mudding. 

Although, because of my experience with furniture building, I wish she would have put more complex artful detail into the woodwork of the new stairway she put into the basement.  She did great work, but my likes tend to more detailed Arts and Crafts embellishments than hers.

I couldn't be more proud of my "girls", they put many so called knowledgeable men to shame with the quality of their work.  Oh, and they carry guns!  In her "spare time" she has a full time job, just to get out of the house and relax.

She is in her 50's and all this is simply "fun" to her.  She has beat Cancer and a multitude of physical ailments to date, but she doesn't ever give up.  I sometimes think that she feels that she  can't leave this world if she hasn't finished all her house work.

Oh, she has never done siding.  I don't know if she likes to do that.

Blessings to all of you, Amigo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1