Great-grandmother with CBD oil arrested at Disney World

pipedreams

Looks like a case where a bit of common sense should apply.

"Hester Jordan Burkhalter, a great-grandmother from North Carolina, began using CBD oil for her arthritis after her doctor recommended it, Fox 35 in Orlando reported. She even had a note from the medical professional in her purse at the time of arrest, but it didn’t matter.

Despite the fact that it’s sold on store shelves across the state, CBD oil is still technically illegal in the state of Florida (unless the user has a prescription). This has created a confusing situation in the Sunshine State.

Jennifer Synnamon, a Florida attorney, told Fox 35, “a little drop of oil, with the CBD, is a felony. Meanwhile, you can have up to 19.9 grams of leaf-marijuana, and it’s a first-degree misdemeanor.”"

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/grandmother-cbd-arrested-disney-world

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I learned as a Golden Rule in all my years of Law Enforcement, whenever possible leave the elderly alone.  Taking them into custody and traumatizing them can lead to stress, which can lead to heart failure, which can lead to law suits.  When I was deporting people, we became frustrated with the New Patrol, and my former boss who said he would vet all people coming in from down south for removal.  Some idiot took a 70 something year old man into custody.  It ended up being a huge deal, and a huge liability.  We had Agent/Officer discretion.  That meant, I wasn't going to take someone into custody who was likely to die in custody.  There was an incident when I was in the Patrol that should have been a big learning experience.  Midnight shift caught a USC smuggler and decided to dump it on Day shift.  Day shift brass got pissed and said it was Midnight's problem.  The guy was dead in his cell by Swing Shift.  It doesn't matter what Agency you are, if someone dies in custody it his a huge problem.  Newark once passed on a Korean woman that they knew was terminal.  She died in custody and D.C. blew up about it.  Then the Korean guy decided to shoot up his school or whatever.  Then D.C. wanted to know if he was any relation to the Korean woman that died, etc.  

The moral of the story, is leave old women alone.

• Like 2

Yes.  I had a doctor who would write down both prescription medication, and a list of natural substances over the counter to purchase.  Like, for instance Vitamin D, and would recommend where to get the good stuff, rather than the Walmart Chinese crapola.  Palmeto also helps men control their PSA.

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

Yes.  I had a doctor who would write down both prescription medication, and a list of natural substances over the counter to purchase.  Like, for instance Vitamin D, and would recommend where to get the good stuff, rather than the Walmart Chinese crapola.  Palmeto also helps men control their PSA.

CVS is in the process or has tested all supplements they sell. 10% so far failed the test.

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Can a doctor write a prescription for a non-controlled substance like CBD oil or even over-the-counter medicine?

I do it all the time, not CBD preparations, but OTC. Seems silly to me to write for Ibuprofen 200mg or claritin 10mg. Used to be insurance wouldn’t pay for it, now they do.