Kentucky derby outcome

SilverRidge01

Can you believe how much officiating has taken over sports, truly obscene, not only horse racing, basketball, football, hockey, baseball, and you know what the tragedy is? They look at the event through sophisticated cameras for 20 minutes at a time at various angles and still  get it wrong. IMHO it was travesty taking that race away from the winner, if it was a blatant foul okay, but this was part of racing the way it always was ..I'm really losing interest in watching sports, pro football is the worst of all, was it a catch, did he have full possession for three seconds b4 his knee hit the ground and he lost possession of the football, was it a football move? Come on give me a break!!! Let em play the game without all these restrictions like the good ole days ...

• Like 1

My understanding is that they started 19 horses.  That is too many horses on one track.  Will eventually lead to one helluva collision.

I know they don't want one to go down but honestly - what I saw I couldn't tell if anything happened or not.  They're horses, not race cars, and they have a mind of their own.  

• Like 2

Pro baseball is going the same way. Stupid effin' rules that do nothing but make the sport less enjoyable.

Seems to me that the issue at the Derby on Saturday was based upon the second place horse running up the ass of the first place horse. Common sense would dictate that the fault lay with #2. Disqualify that nag. Lead it off the track and turn it into glue, dog food, and a nice thick steak for the former owner and jockey to share.

Edited by KWalrad
  • Like 1

I yelled "You can't do that" when he veered out two lanes and then before I could say anything else he veered back in 2 or 3 lanes. It's not bumper cars out there. He didn't foul the eventual winner, he got disqualified for running into 2 or 3 other horses. Begin at the 2:00 mark. He starts going wide and then veers back in and bumps the horse on the rail around 2:12. I thought he was going to pin that horse against the rail the way he was running out of control.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, johnbt said:

I yelled "You can't do that" when he veered out two lanes and then before I could say anything else he veered back in 2 or 3 lanes. It's not bumper cars out there. He didn't foul the eventual winner, he got disqualified for running into 2 or 3 other horses. Begin at the 2:00 mark. He starts going wide and then veers back in and bumps the horse on the rail around 2:12. I thought he was going to pin that horse against the rail the way he was running out of control.

I would be scared to run that track as wet as it was.  And 19 horses is too many horses.

I don't watch horse racing because I don't want to see a big pileup of horses and the results of having to have them destroyed.  But the sport is really hurting, and this won't help.

There were reports of something spooking the lead horse - a cameraman in an odd spot or something.

• Like 1

He'd only run in 4 races before the Derby. 

Paid attendance at the Derby was 150,000+.  Plenty of noise and cameras too.

I copied this blurb on his 1st race 5 months ago...

"Maximum Security won his career debut in dominant, front-running fashion with a 9 ¾-length romp in a 6 ½-furlong maiden claiming race on Dec. 20, 2018 at Gulfstream Park. In that race, the colt by New Year’s Day could have been claimed by anyone for $16,000."

6 1/2 furlongs is 3/4 of a mile fwiw.

• Like 1

The stewards have a head-on camera view that is not what you see on TV. I've read a couple of things by guys who have seen that camera footage, and said that Maximum Security crossed four lanes. The jockey of the first horse he interfered with pulled his horse up and right and probably was responsible for averting a disaster. If the nation had been treated to the spectacle of several of America's best thoroughbreds having to be put down right there on the track, I imagine everyone would be singing a different tune.

24 minutes ago, Pistolay said:

The stewards have a head-on camera view that is not what you see on TV. I've read a couple of things by guys who have seen that camera footage, and said that Maximum Security crossed four lanes. The jockey of the first horse he interfered with pulled his horse up and right and probably was responsible for averting a disaster. If the nation had been treated to the spectacle of several of America's best thoroughbreds having to be put down right there on the track, I imagine everyone would be singing a different tune.

Well they should release that footage of the horse crossing four lanes, if they have it let the public see it, and that off the wall stuff that the call is not appealable,   I've followed horse racing for many years and seen horses make physical contact with another horse without a claim of foul, I saw no physical contact with any horse, jockey stated the horse was very young and might have been startled by crowd noise and drifted to the left, horses drift all the time in races to get better position for the stretch run,  different age we live in too much technology in sports, too many replays, too many " let's go to the video replay" if its blatant call it, the old no harm, no foul, this leave it to the officials discretion doesn't cut, let them play the game let the horses run the race, last week after a playoff hoops two officials stated they missed or made three wrong calls, it decided the winner, in a championship football playoff game an obvious blatant interference wasn't made and the Saints lost because the referees should have conferred and didn't .. Too much officiating that's my .02 cents ... 

• Thanks 1

He looked spooked, then it looked like he got his head screwed back on straight and realized the race was getting away from him. I didn't see the jockey steering him to the outside.

These are trained, dumb, domesticated and inbred animals, that sometimes do what dumb, domesticated, inbred animals do.

I just saw a young inexperienced horse with a lot of heart. Damn shame to take that away, for that.

• Thanks 1

"I saw no physical contact with any horse"

There was lots of contact. I saw it when it happened. I was surprised they took as long as they did to disqualify him.

7529970D-FFE2-485C-8828-CB0041E42D38.thumb.jpeg.b902a6dc0b6c3fa6194cdb24a82195cc.jpeg

Notice how far Maximum Security has moved off the rail. His butt has pushed the other horse’s head to the right and their legs are banging together. 

From the video critique at www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/05/06/kentucky-derby-2019-maximum-security-owner-talks-disqualification-appeal-preakness/1115844001/

Edited by johnbt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

...the old no harm, no foul... 

This is about a lot more than just the winner. Second place in the Derby pays $600K, third place $300K, fourth place $150K, and fifth place $90K, not to mention the tens of millions of dollars that were bet on the race. When horses started getting pushed around (we know for a fact that at least 2 horses were physically impeded), the positions behind the winner were impacted. There was plenty of harm.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, Pistolay said:

You can tell he went wide and then came back down to the rail.  The question I have is why did he do that?  To me his head looks cranked to the side like he saw something.  I think the jockey was trying to keep him in line but I don't know - I can't tell what kind of "steering input" the jockey is giving the horse but right around the last turn the horse's head is really cranked.  It looked like the horse turned late for some reason.

The last thing anyone wants is a pileup of horses.  That would probably lead to at least one injured horse.

There was an angle in that video I hadn't seen before.

Edited by SC Tiger

17 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

No question there was interference.

No question he should have been disqualified.

No question the " best " horse didn't win.

No question people are pissed.

That's why they call it a horse race.

I guess my question is was the jockey guiding him to do that, or was the horse just doing horse things?

Think tadbart got most of it right, the noise level spooked him and it was a young inexperienced animal we get into a lot of variables, second guessing who had the right of way, which horse made the initial move, but I've been to races where the physical contact was awhole lot worse than this, much worse, but like Yogi used to say " it ain't over til it's over !" This one was is definitely over!!  and the pundents will talk about it for years ...

Just a point if I may and we shall let it lay, 19 big animals running full speed trying to get to the rail ahead of all the others, you best believe there is physical contact next time u watch racing don't focus on the lead horse during a race watch the back of the pack, it's a war trying to get position ..these wonderful  horses don't have turn signals or rear view mirrors or directionals,  to the victor go the spoils ....

Edited by SilverRidge01

"I guess my question is was the jockey guiding him to do that, or was the horse just doing horse things?"

Looks like the horse did it on his own. Doesn't matter who did it though because intent isn't required, only impeding.

www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/05/06/kentucky-derby-rule-disqualified-maximum-security-safety/1114172001/

There's a good 38-second video of the big veer out.  Watch it a the 15-second mark.

He'd only run in 4 races before the Derby. 
Paid attendance at the Derby was 150,000+.  Plenty of noise and cameras too.
I copied this blurb on his 1st race 5 months ago...
"Maximum Security won his career debut in dominant, front-running fashion with a 9 ¾-length romp in a 6 ½-furlong maiden claiming race on Dec. 20, 2018 at Gulfstream Park. In that race, the colt by New Year’s Day could have been claimed by anyone for $16,000."
6 1/2 furlongs is 3/4 of a mile fwiw.

Track owners LOVE the short races. More races to bet on during the day means more take for the track.

Looks as though Thoroughbred racing is on the same downward spiral which ended most harness racing years ago.

Suspect interest in the Preakness and Belmont Stakes this year will be well down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Track owners LOVE the short races. More races to bet on during the day means more take for the track.

Looks as though Thoroughbred racing is on the same downward spiral which ended most harness racing years ago.

Suspect interest in the Preakness and Belmont Stakes this year will be well down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly it wouldn't bother me too much.  I know people love it, but I've seen when the horses gets hurt and it can be quite horrifying.

10 hours ago, tadbart said:

The horse looked to his left and veered to his right. Something spooked him at that furlong pole. the more I watch that video, the more I see a horse doing horse stuff.

That's what I noticed.  I wonder if the horse tried to turn too far left, and the Jockey over-corrected.  Or he just skidded to the outside.  The damn track was muddy as hell.

12 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`m just shocked the horse didn't know the rules.....

they are horses they start 40 feet apart in gates and crowd together to get the best track to run on.

maybe the fastest horse should just win.

Damn stupid horses.  They should read up on the rules.........

Of course - if you ask them they'd rather be in a meadow or something just running around.

Edited by SC Tiger