what do you think about Minneapolis bans 'warrior training'

i`m curious as to what this actually means to LEO`s on the street.

i have been seeing these administrative bans or trying to enforce these training restrictions.

it seems to me its a way for the administration to cover asses in case of a shooting that the talking heads see as bad and the unions way of getting out of defense cost by saying the training was`nt acceptable.

but what if you have the training they don`t approve of already or if the current training later becomes deemed too 'warrior like' ,what if you use a method in that training that is deemed excessive?

i`m just curious if anyone has dealt with it or how popular this is becoming.

https://www.albertleatribune.com/2019/04/police-union-defies-minneapolis-mayors-warrior-style-training-ban/

MINNEAPOLIS — Minneapolis’ police union is partnering with a national group to offer “warrior-style” training to officers despite the mayor’s ban on the training that he says is rooted in fear.

Law Officer, a law enforcement news and training group, announced this week it will provide free online training to members of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis.

Travis Yates, the group’s training director, said in a statement that the course is designed to ensure that officers “return home each day to their family regardless of the dangers that they may face and the ignorance of some politicians.”

The training is valued at $55,000 a year and the group says it addresses issues such as “officer survival,” leadership, fitness and de-escalation.

The announcement follows Mayor Jacob Frey’s ban on the popular training last week. Frey said the “fear-based” training violates community policing values.

The city has been embracing “guardian” tactics, which focus on de-escalation and using deadly force as a last resort.

“We have adopted this new policy because proper training on use of force and de-escalation is of paramount importance,” he said in a statement. “Officers found to pursue any training that conflicts with MPD’s training and has not been preapproved will be subject to discipline,” Frey said in response to the Law Officer announcement.

The comments come as the city grapples with the ongoing murder trial of Mohamed Noor , a former Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed woman as she approached his squad car after calling 911. Attorneys for Noor have argued that he fired the single shot that killed Justine Ruszczyk Damond in July 2017 after hearing a loud noise and fearing an ambush.

“We have adopted this new policy because proper training on use of force and de-escalation is of paramount importance,” Frey recently said about the ban.

The police union’s president, Lt. Bob Kroll, called Frey’s ban illegal.

He defended the “warrior” training style, saying that it isn’t “about killing, it’s about surviving.”

Frey said the city attorney’s office was consulted when drafting the policy.

“They are confident in its legal position,” he said.

1 hour ago, holyjohnson said:

i`m curious as to what this actually means to LEO`s on the street.

i have been seeing these administrative bans or trying to enforce these training restrictions.

it seems to me its a way for the administration to cover asses in case of a shooting that the talking heads see as bad and the unions way of getting out of defense cost by saying the training was`nt acceptable.

but what if you have the training they don`t approve of already or if the current training later becomes deemed too 'warrior like' ,what if you use a method in that training that is deemed excessive?

i`m just curious if anyone has dealt with it or how popular this is becoming.

https://www.albertleatribune.com/2019/04/police-union-defies-minneapolis-mayors-warrior-style-training-ban/

MINNEAPOLIS — Minneapolis’ police union is partnering with a national group to offer “warrior-style” training to officers despite the mayor’s ban on the training that he says is rooted in fear.

Law Officer, a law enforcement news and training group, announced this week it will provide free online training to members of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis.

Travis Yates, the group’s training director, said in a statement that the course is designed to ensure that officers “return home each day to their family regardless of the dangers that they may face and the ignorance of some politicians.”

The training is valued at $55,000 a year and the group says it addresses issues such as “officer survival,” leadership, fitness and de-escalation.

The announcement follows Mayor Jacob Frey’s ban on the popular training last week. Frey said the “fear-based” training violates community policing values.

The city has been embracing “guardian” tactics, which focus on de-escalation and using deadly force as a last resort.

“We have adopted this new policy because proper training on use of force and de-escalation is of paramount importance,” he said in a statement. “Officers found to pursue any training that conflicts with MPD’s training and has not been preapproved will be subject to discipline,” Frey said in response to the Law Officer announcement.

The comments come as the city grapples with the ongoing murder trial of Mohamed Noor , a former Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed woman as she approached his squad car after calling 911. Attorneys for Noor have argued that he fired the single shot that killed Justine Ruszczyk Damond in July 2017 after hearing a loud noise and fearing an ambush.

“We have adopted this new policy because proper training on use of force and de-escalation is of paramount importance,” Frey recently said about the ban.

The police union’s president, Lt. Bob Kroll, called Frey’s ban illegal.

He defended the “warrior” training style, saying that it isn’t “about killing, it’s about surviving.”

Frey said the city attorney’s office was consulted when drafting the policy.

“They are confident in its legal position,” he said.

I think the city would like to take the "kiss your ass" as a police force tactic, versus the "meaner than you" approach.  The city likes criminals more than they like police.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/1/2019 at 9:02 PM, janice6 said:

I think the city would like to take the "kiss your ass" as a police force tactic, versus the "meaner than you" approach.  The city likes criminals more than they like police.

i thought they took care of that in 2016 when they changed the rules to the "get some distance" approach to anyone armed with anything but a gun.

i ask because i have a friend who is LE and we got to talking about 'ferguson effect' and how his Dept. is changing the training scenarios and the MPD administration against certain training and if anyone else has seen this come up.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

i thought they took care of that in 2016 when they changed the rules to the "get some distance" approach to anyone armed with anything but a gun.

i ask because i have a friend who is LE and we got to talking about 'ferguson effect' and how his Dept. is changing the training scenarios and the MPD administration against certain training and if anyone else has seen this come up.

When Noor was accepted on the force, the requirements were changed because the Mayor claimed that the "new immigrants" couldn't qualify under the old criteria.  One major change was on the Psych test.  So they essentially, eliminated it and Noor was hired.  This cost the old Mayor her job, along with crap for the Police Chief.  I hope that this $20 million settlement against the city shows just how stupid the accommodations were that let unqualified persons on the force.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

This will end up with the police being barred from any martial arts training whatsoever even on their own dime and time.  Just wait.  That's where the libridiots are headed with this.  And then they'll wonder why OISs increase instead of decreasing.  People will all say "That'll never happen," but I've been Cassandra for a long, long time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a few Law Enforcement friends who have already taken many classes out of pocket have raised some concern about it being used as a way for Localities to turn their backs on Officers by saying the training that caused to 'over reaction' is to blame and not approved by the Dept. type of CYA hang the Officer out to dry thing.

• Like 1