Hickok45 on the Glock 19 Gen 5

JJHNSN

1 hour ago, Gobigorange said:

He wasn't that impressed. I handled one last week and wasn't either. There were a few improvements but not enough to rush out and buy one.

It seems a lot of Glock fans expected the Gen5 to be a stupendous improvement over the Gen1/2/3/4 models, but at the same time expected that all parts be backwards compatible and fully interchangeable with their older guns (and they're pissed that they're not). So it shouldn't be too surprising that Glock made some merely incremental changes and we got merely incremental improvement. It's still a more dramatic bundle of changes than any previous generation jump from Glock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobigorange said:

He wasn't that impressed. I handled one last week and wasn't either. There were a few improvements but not enough to rush out and buy one.

I agree. I'm not rushing out to buy one as I am perfectly happy with my Gen 4 Glocks. Maybe one of the new mags with the orange followers would be good to get.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I rented one and put 50 rounds through it. Seemed like a stiff 2nd gen with a beveled nose, only my 2nd gens have much better triggers thanks to years of use. The Gen5 felt like one step forward and two steps back to me. Still can't figure out how Glock is seemingly deaf and dumb when it comes to the hump. How many grip reduction companies and aftermarket frames have to hit the market before someone in R&D says to outloud "Hey, maybe we could increase sales if we came out with one that doesn't have a rear end bigger than Kim Kardashian".

• Confused 1

I know this thread was started last September so I think it's of value for some recent comments.

The Gen 5 Glocks are spectacular. I didn't intend to like them but shooting them proves they are more accurate and have a better trigger than Gen 4, and the Marksman barrel is definitely noteworthy.

All of my Glocks are in my EDC rotation; they are specifically self defense tools- I keep them stock for "combat" use. Therefore, the accuracy and trigger improvements on the Gen 5 are absolutely not necessary as they won't really matter at self defense distances. But, they won't hurt either.

Since the trigger is different and there are a couple changes internally (trigger spring), the only question is whether or not the Gen 5 will have Glock's renowned reliabily. It's a Glock, so I'm pretty sure the Gen 5 will.

Shoot the Gen 5 and you may not be impressed for whatever reason. But if you are honest with yourself, you will acknowledge the significant upgrades. I don't see myself giving up my Gen 4 G17 or G29 (I did trade my G26 in for the 19X). I would absolutely be happy with the Gen 5 G26 as it somehow feels better in the hand, and it has the butter smooth trigger that I've experienced on all the Gen 5 I've handled.

Edited by Shot Placement

it's like every new gen release, there are some things we like and some things we dont like.

I for one love the new striker safety plunger design.  this just makes sense.  I also like the beveled front of the slide and the removal of finger grooves.

What I don't like is the flared magwell and the cutout for the tacticool dudes and dudettes.  I think this satisfied a small% of the Glock users while disappointing the rest.

• Like 1

I've handled/shot one of my friends G19 Gen 5 and it was pretty nice. I know the removal of the finger grooves was a hit for some people, but the grooves in my G19 Gen 4 fit my hands perfectly so it's a wash for me. He also has a stock G19 Gen 4 and when we compared it to the Gen 5, the Gen 5 trigger did feel a little better but he and I both agree that my G19 Gen 4 with an Overwatch Precision TAC trigger is much much better. The only real negatives I have for the Gen 5 is the rounded cutout in the grip (to strip the magazine) digs into my hand. Not a big deal in a self defense situation, but it would bother me if I were shooting a box or so at the range. The other negative is the fact that the Gen 5, like the Gen 4, makes barrels, slides and internals incompatible with previous generations. If I had a choice between the Gen 4 and the Gen 5, I would go with the Gen 5. But since I already have the Gen 4 there is simply not enough improvements for me to upgrade, and even if I did, I would still replace the trigger with an Apex or Overwatch Precision.

• Like 2