What to do with people who lose their mind

RenoF250

We have someone that has gone out of their mind - won't sleep, has conversations with people that aren't there, sees things, etc.  This happened fairly quickly and wondering what to do for them.  ER regular docs only fix physical problems and don't seem to be very helpful with mental issues.  This has happened before and they got over it but it was not this bad.

Tough to figure out what to do with the homeless that have this problem when you can't deal with it in regular insured people with family members trying to help.

• Like 2

There might actually be a physical problem causing the confusion.

My dad called me a few months ago talking nonsense. After a few minutes I asked to speak with my sister who is taking care of him.

I advised her to check his blood sugar (he is diabetic), turns out it was extremely low, below 40 IIRC.

A glass of orange juice later he  was back to himself and made an appointment to see his doctor the next day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, billkill said:

There might actually be a physical problem causing the confusion.

My dad called me a few months ago talking nonsense. After a few minutes I asked to speak with my sister who is taking care of him.

I advised her to check his blood sugar (he is diabetic), turns out it was extremely low, below 40 IIRC.

A glass of orange juice later he  was back to himself and made an appointment to see his doctor the next day.

Last time the problem seemed to be linked to infection.  I will have blood sugar checked.  Been up for almost 3 days, I have to think lack of sleep is a big contributor.

1 minute ago, RenoF250 said:

Last time the problem seemed to be linked to infection.  I will have blood sugar checked.  Been up for almost 3 days, I have to think lack of sleep is a big contributor.

Sheeesh. Get well soon!

Wishing you the best....

• Like 1

You did not mention the age of the patient. In the elderly, especially women, relatively sudden cognitive problems are often (perhaps usually) due to UTI. A simple dipstick test will not always detect UTI.

Edited by OldDad
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, OldDad said:

You did not mention the age of the patient. In the elderly, especially women, relatively sudden cognitive problems are often (perhaps usually) due to UTI. A simple dipstick test will not always detect UTI.

~70YO Woman.  We are working on the UTI issue.  She is not real portable though, so almost have to ambulance to hospital to check that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

~70YO Woman.  We are working on the UTI issue.  She is not real portable though, so almost have to ambulance to hospital to check that.

The lab should supply you with a sterile sample jar. Getting the sample might be a problem, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

In hospital now, clear for UTI.  I think not sleeping for 3 days is not helping.

I'm sure this has been checked, but has there been any recent change in her medications? For example, Metformin can cause insomnia, loss of appetite, diarrhea. There are also drug interactions to consider. I'm not a doc by any stretch of the imagination, but I do work with the elderly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldDad said:

I'm sure this has been checked, but has there been any recent change in her medications? For example, Metformin can cause insomnia, loss of appetite, diarrhea. There are also drug interactions to consider. I'm not a doc by any stretch of the imagination, but I do work with the elderly.

No, I have been asking about the meds.  Some pot gummies now and then.  No Metformin, has been taking Methorexate for a looonnngggg time.  Hopefully the hospital figures it out.  Their diagnostic abilities have not impressed me recently though.  Seems if it is not actively bleeding they don't want to check.

• Like 2

Even change from genetic A to genetic B could cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldDad said:

The OP said that these symptoms appeared suddenly. Alzheimer's never does. A stroke or similar CVA could cause sudden onset of vascular dementia.

No, OP stated they appeared fairly quickly, which is different than sudden. In addition, signs could of been going on for an extended time and they just become pronounced enough that others started realizing at taking them more serious. 

• Like 3

The OP said that " This has happened before and they got over it but it was not this bad." A patient doesn't "get over" Alzheimer's - the symptoms may level off for awhile, but generally do not improve. On the other hand, people with vascular dementia may improve between CVAs. Of course the overall decline is inexorable. Also, Alzheimer's is not characterized by visual hallucinations. Some other dementias are (e.g. Lewy Body Dementia.) Those dementias also do not appear "fairly quickly."

I am not a doctor, but have had 33 years experience with and study of dementia, both within my own family and, for 17 years, my work with residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. I know whereof I speak.

• Like 1

20 years as a medic and sometimes people only want to see what they want to see. 

Obviously, you rule out the most threatening, blood sugar, CVA/TIA, renal failure, sepsis, chemical imbalance-both medication induced or biological. It appears at this point that most of the test are coming back negative. You look for a brain tumor or recent head trauma increasing the intracranial pressure. When you rule out everything else, yes, what is being described is dementia. Most families don't see the onset and some deny the signs stating it is just 'old age'. Usually we get called in when they become violent. Yes, people have periods of being more lucid and in-control than other times. Sundowning the person appears basically normal during the day, but as the afternoon/evening progresses they become more confused and exhibit more symptoms. Unfortunately, since the individual isn't sleeping, this can even compound the problem more. 

I watched my grandfather, who during the day was able to farm and go about his life normal, but at night had to be medicated because of the extreme confusion. 

• Sad 1