10mm Storm lake conversion barrel for G30

SilverRidge01

Out of all the handguns I own the glock model 30 is my favorite, great shooter, just feels good in hand, it's like a good women ( never mind I get carried away at times ) anyway just a few moments ago ordered from optics planet the storm lake 10mm drop in barrel for the model 30 on sale, reduced 17%, have always been curious about its performance, read many opinions comparing it to the .45 ACP with that in mind do you learned fellas have any comments both negative and positive regarding the caliber. Think I posted on here also have a .400 Corbon drop in barrel which is also a very fine flat shooting round, too bad the cost is so unappealing, but there are a few companies that offer the ammo. 

Was advised no modifications needed just a simple drop in barrel' that why I like the Glock 30 platform so much, now have the .45 ACP, .45 super, .400 CorBon and now 10mm .. Expanding the thread one step further talking about versatility my taurus judge 3x3 now can fire these calibers, .410' 45 colt ' .22' 22 magnum, .17 HMR, .380' I've got barrel inserts for each caliber, never run outa calibers to amuse myself ... Almost forgot should have the barrel next few days from FedX will head to the local gun range and see how it performs, will be back with photos and results ..

Edited by SilverRidge01
  • Like 1

Extraction can be a problem and sometimes you might have to change to a 10mm extractor to reliably shoot 10mm ammo because of the different rim sizes. There's supposed to be a way to modify the 45 acp extractor to work with both and if you know a gunsmith who knows how to do it, it would be a worthwhile modification.   But some conversions work with the stock extractor and others don't. Also I would prefer a KKM barrel to a storm lake now that storm lake is owned by the same company that owns Remington and marlin.

The 10mm is an excellent cartridge and I really like the underwood full power ammo. I also like the new 200 grain HST load from Hornady as a defensive load. I don't think recoil would be excessive in a gun as beefy as a G30 especially if your G30 fits your hand. I prefer the SF frame on the G30 or the G29.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Silver, have you dealt with Optics Planet before? Ive had terrible luck with them. IIRC 5 weeks is the fastest shipping I got from them. Hope you have a better experience.

Dealt with them once or twice b4 purchased a spoting scope and holster, so far so good,no problems they are sending the barrel FedX so I've been tracking it on the FedX site should arrive per them on 5/1 by 8 pm ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G26S239 said:

For the price of an extractor it would be easier to just get one.

First it would be better to see if the gun functions reliably with the G30 extractor. Otherwise, you'd have to swap extractors every time you swapped barrels.

I wish someone made an Aftermarket extractor especially for the 10-to-45 conversions. If the conversion barrel works fine as a drop-in no problem. I have a G23 with a KKM 9-to-40 conversion barrel and I see no need whatsoever to change ejector or extractor to assure reliability because it's been 100% reliable for a couple of thousand rounds.

I've thought about selling my G20 and getting a G21 and getting a conversion barrel but it makes more sense to me to either just get a whole other gun (a G21) or just a complete G21 slide. Also my G20 is an SF so I'd want to get either a G21 SF or a Gen 4 gun. But getting a complete G21 slide is probably better for me since I've filed down the finger groove bumps and undercut the trigger guard on my G20SF.

Yes, I waited months for the latest Burris Scope.  Once you have your load right, you don't need a range finder or a spotter.  It is integrated.  They listed in stock and then not, then in stock, then not.  It took a good six months to get my scope.

Changing extractors isn't difficult. Before I bought my current 27 I changed the trigger housing w/ejector on the 26 before shooting 40* from my 26 frame. OTOH I'd probably just get a 29 upper or, more likely, a 29 rather than swap parts if I decided to get into 10mm. 

*In 2015 I bought an NiBX 27 upper w/magazine from ebay before the P80 kits were available. In any case I have the 27 and the extra upper which can still be used to convert my spare 26 to a 27.

Just outa curiosity sake I was messing with the glock 21 high cap mags I use for my glock 30 the 400 Corbon rounds fit perfectly as they do in the standard factory .45 mags, checked the specs on the 10mm just a longer case than the 45 or 400 do I need to upgrade my mags to a 29 for the 10mm ?

2 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

Just outa curiosity sake I was messing with the glock 21 high cap mags I use for my glock 30 the 400 Corbon rounds fit perfectly as they do in the standard factory .45 mags, checked the specs on the 10mm just a longer case than the 45 or 400 do I need to upgrade my mags to a 29 for the 10mm ?

The problem is not case length but case diameter.  The 45 ACP case is larger in diameter and will not grip 10mm cases as securely  Use G29 mags with 10mm for the best reliability.

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

The problem is not case length but case diameter.  The 45 ACP case is larger in diameter and will not grip 10mm cases as securely  Use G29 mags with 10mm for the best reliability.

Thank you sir your a wealth of good firearms information, I ordered a mag in 

10mm,  the .400 Corbon case is just a necked down .45 case so fits perfectly 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, SilverRidge01 said:

Dealt with them once or twice b4 purchased a spoting scope and holster, so far so good,no problems they are sending the barrel FedX so I've been tracking it on the FedX site should arrive per them on 5/1 by 8 pm ...

Received barrel by FedX this pm good transaction with Optics planet tomorrow will

gets a box of 100 rounds should have mag next day or so if the usps don’t screw it up then we are good to go ....:shooting-two-guns:

The difference in weight between a Glock 29 SF and a Glock 30 SF is 15 grams (about half an ounce). 

G29SF with empty magazine = 760 grams /  26.81 oz

G30SF with empty magazine = 745 grams / 26.28 oz

If i'm not mistaken, that difference in weight is because the Glock 29 has a slightly heavier slide.   This may be suggestive that a slightly heavier spring will help with recoil. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 11:52 PM, G26S239 said:

I never tried that conversion but I did shoot 45 Super out of my previously owned G30. I used Wolff 19# recoil spring set and it worked great. You might need to change the extractor.

I’ve been interested in the 45 Super for a while. Never thought about anything but a steel 1911 for it though.

*looking at my G30*

hmmm

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:02 PM, Paul53 said:

Silver, have you dealt with Optics Planet before? Ive had terrible luck with them. IIRC 5 weeks is the fastest shipping I got from them. Hope you have a better experience.

Two companies I would never want to deal with: One, Storm lake, since they've been taken over by The Outdoor Group, AKA Cerebus Capital Management, which owns Remington and Marlin, and Optics Planet, which, from my own personal experience, is a nightmare to deal with. Their customer service is best described by the expression, "The Left hand never knows what the right hand is doing".

Better to buy your barrels directly from KKM. Pay little more, but buy once, cry once.  Or better yet, get a stronger recoil spring and run 45 Super in your G30. As much as I love the 10mm, the 45 Super comes close enough for all practical purposes.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...