I'm Transitioning

My transition involves lots of tomato plants, biking, hiking, shooting, and weights at the gym.  It takes a while to get into the swing of enjoying life, but if you fall asleep in your easy chair, remember one of the basic tenets of physics: an object not  in motion, tends to stay not in motion (and try not to snore with your mouth open).

Enjoy.  You earned it. 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 4

Make the most of the time that is your own.  All to soon the body starts showing the wear and tear of a working active life and then the pains here and there start taking their toll on what you want to do, versus what you can do.

The best thing about retirement is that you can do what you want to do, not what you have to do.  The problem is that the joy of having this freedom makes the time go so fast that pretty soon you are looking backwards instead of forwards.

All in all, it was a pretty good time, and you got to do things that many people only read about.  However, the next time around, I have a select few changes as to some choices I made.  Next time some things will be different!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My kids and their kids live in fear, for when I take their kids and entertain them.  One said it takes about 3 months to undo what I did.

If you raise your kids, you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your kids, you have to raise your grandkids.

Sounds like you done it the right way.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tadbart said:

If you raise your kids, you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your kids, you have to raise your grandkids.

Sounds like you done it the right way.

I love to teach kids something new and to try to get them excited about new stuff.  Learning is the greatest enjoyment I know and I try to work it into interactions with my kids of all generations.  My son has taught her how to weld and use a plasma cutter, so I talked to her about how to construct and weld up a "harp" type structure to hold all the earrings I give her.  Busy stuff.

As an example, this weekend one of my G'daughters is coming to visit.  She is learning the Violin.  Her dad is an engineer, so I'm sure he has told her all about resonant string vibrations and harmonics.  I am going to tell her about how fascinating a drum head is because it doesn't function by harmonic generation, but rather by overtone generation.  Overtones are non-integral multiples of the fundamental, and the method of oscillation is entirely different.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Not in a ghey way. Retirement is happening. I've been working for 50 years. Time to knock that **** off. The fish are biting. Anybody want to buy a working gravel pit and equipment?

Retiring for good, to be honest will screw with your head for a good couple of years.  Just when you think you are done, you are back being handed complicated cases, at least in my dream world.  It wasn't until lately that I have been able to control the scenario, and say, I am done, figure it out on your own you lazy FNG.  I would say it has taken 2.5 years to do that.  Some of it was PTSD.  No one ever checks up on that, they just release you back into the world.  But, I worked since I was 13, early 20's after two years of grad school, I got into the USBP, then ICE Investigations, then Deportations.  So, if I did the same job for right about 20 years, and it has taken about 2.5 to exorcise those demons, I suspect you will wake up after retirement, about the same time, and wonder where the hell you are and what you are doing.

That being said, I wish you the best in retirement.  Routines aren't bad, I think, honestly, they give us more life than oozing away in a chair in front of the television and dying early.

Been retired for nearly 4 years. We live in the middle of American history, travel to see and appreciate our country. Additionally I cast my own rifle and pistol bullets, shoot 3-5 times a week, finishing several projects and am busier now than when I worked.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

Make the most of the time that is your own.  All to soon the body starts showing the wear and tear of a working active life and then the pains here and there start taking their toll on what you want to do, versus what you can do.

The best thing about retirement is that you can do what you want to do, not what you have to do.  The problem is that the joy of having this freedom makes the time go so fast that pretty soon you are looking backwards instead of forwards.

All in all, it was a pretty good time, and you got to do things that many people only read about.  However, the next time around, I have a select few changes as to some choices I made.  Next time some things will be different!

If only "next time" we could remember what happened "last time".

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

My kids and their kids live in fear, for when I take their kids and entertain them.  One said it takes about 3 months to undo what I did.

You need to work harder at the mind twisting ……………………………………. it should take at least 4 to 5 months to undo what you did. :460:

• Haha 2

Pulling the proverbial ejection handle myself at the end of August. Grandchildren, travel, shooting, and veterans organizations should fill my calendar. Trying to head into retirement without a mortgage or car payments. Looking forward to that alarm clock not going off ?

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 10:43 AM, Walt Longmire said:

Not in a ghey way. Retirement is happening. I've been working for 50 years. Time to knock that **** off. The fish are biting. Anybody want to buy a working gravel pit and equipment?

Selling it dirt cheap? Congratulations on retirement.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, janice6 said:

Everyone is well aware that I possess more fireworks than any normal person should.

And they hate mini-bikes. 

"What if he crashes and gets hurt?"

"If?"

• Haha 1