Lookout! Granny's stealin

Silentpoet

On 4/23/2019 at 10:29 PM, PATCHMAN said:

An Arizona mother was arrested for allegedly assaulting her son for not keeping a "good enough" lookout as his grandmother shoplifted.

OK so we got three generations of shoplifters.

I guess they go by the motto that the family that steals together, stays together.  

Technically, that's one generation of shoplifter and two generations of lookouts.

But, yeah.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

There are multi generational crime families, welfare families, accounting, physician, acting...

The Roma aka Gypsies are infamous as traveling thieves and scam artists. Are they all that way?

Pretty much. They've always been very tight-knit and insular and they've always been outcasts and treated like dirt. I live in a city of 500,000 people that's like a giant small town and it seems like everyone here has heard about this one family of Gypsies that's always been in some kind of trouble although not so much in the past ten years so maybe the family is dying off or they've moved away.

But one time I was in a Michael's arts and crafts store around Christmas time and some tall, dark-haired woman in her early 30's came into the store wearing tinted glasses and filled up her hanf basket with stuff and then took off running out the door and jumped into a waiting car, a Cadillac with an older woman driving.

Later I was telling someone about it and they seemed to remember the mother and daughter and the car as part of the family who were known for doing stuff like that.  

Pretty much. They've always been very tight-knit and insular and they've always been outcasts and treated like dirt. I live in a city of 500,000 people that's like a giant small town and it seems like everyone here has heard about this one family of Gypsies that's always been in some kind of trouble although not so much in the past ten years so maybe the family is dying off or they've moved away.
But one time I was in a Michael's arts and crafts store around Christmas time and some tall, dark-haired woman in her early 30's came into the store wearing tinted glasses and filled up her hanf basket with stuff and then took off running out the door and jumped into a waiting car, a Cadillac with an older woman driving.
Later I was telling someone about it and they seemed to remember the mother and daughter and the car as part of the family who were known for doing stuff like that.  

The NAZI Holocaust included not only Jews but also Gypsies and others the party deemed undesirables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, railfancwb said:

The NAZI Holocaust included not only Jews but also Gypsies and others the party deemed undesirables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm well aware of that fact and as I said, they've always been treated like dirt. And I think that has ingrained in them an "Us versus Them" mentality which can justify breaking the law. In saying this, I'm making a generalization based on my limited understanding  of the Roma people in America from the 1900's to the present day and my experience in living in a city with a prominent Roma family. I alos came in contact with Roma people when living in Los Angeles and many of them were from New York City.

Since 1998 I've lived in or around Spokane WA where the Marks family, who are Vlax Romani from Greece, were involved in a lot of illegal activity which culminated in a botched police raid in 1986 which the Spokane PD conducted without a valid search warrant where they confiscated $1.6 million in cash, and $160,000 in jewelry, and 35 items determined to be from from burglaries.

The family claimed that the cash was being held for other Romani families who did not trust banks, part of which was likely true. The family brought suit against the city of Spokane for $59 million, and after 11 years the case was settled out of court for $1.43 million. Then in 2007 the head of the family, Jimmy Marks died of a heart attack in 2007 and the family was indicted on other charges in 2011. Since then the family has either managed to stay out of trouble or the older ones are dying off and the younger ones might be assimilating into the mainstream. And since the 90's many other Roma families have moved away.

1997 acquittals:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/apr/26/marks-family-cleared-of-conspiracy-counts/

2011 indictments:

https://www.kxly.com/news/marks-family-members-indicted-in-40m-psychic-scam/177355680

Edited by Borg warner