My convoluted Windows XP thing

Huaco Kid

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm too squeamy to to try anything that new.

For my purposes, windows XP was just fine and it was better than windows 95 but support ran out so I switched to Win 7. At first it took a while to learn all the secret handshakes to make the hidden controls work but I finally figured it out and then I was happy with it. Now Microsuck notified me that they will no longer support windows 7 after the first of next year and I would be forced to switch to windows 10 which I hear really sucks the big one with  constant updates that take a long time to download and install.

So I did some research and I found that you can get you can get extended support for windows 7 but it costs something like $300 a year. And then I reasd something about a W7 emulator that mak3es windows 10 run like Windows 7. It seems like each new version of windows gets worse as time goes on. I wish they'd just sell a basic system that you can add onto if you want or need extra features. I wouldn't even mind having to pay reasonable licensing fees to hold on to that basic system and have it be supported and not have to buy into the whole Planned obsolescence scam.

Edited by Borg warner

6 hours ago, Borg warner said:

For my purposes, windows XP was just fine and it was better than windows 95 but support ran out so I switched to Win 7. At first it took a while to learn all the secret handshakes to make the hidden controls work but I finally figured it out and then I was happy with it. Now Microsuck notified me that they will no longer support windows 7 after the first of next year and I would be forced to switch to windows 10 which I hear really sucks the big one with  constant updates that take a long time to download and install.

So I did some research and I found that you can get you can get extended support for windows 7 but it costs something like $300 a year. And then I reasd something about a W7 emulator that mak3es windows 10 run like Windows 7. It seems like each new version of windows gets worse as time goes on. I wish they'd just sell a basic system that you can add onto if you want or need extra features. I wouldn't even mind having to pay reasonable licensing fees to hold on to that basic system and have it be supported and not have to buy into the whole Planned obsolescence scam.

Yes. I finally realized that for all the aggravation it takes to make Windows work you can use a Linux distro and thumb your nose at Redmond.

Now, it's true that I'm posting this from my old Win10 laptop but that's mainly because I kept it running to do my taxes on. I have Manjaro on a duplicate laptop and will complete the move to it when I move my office in a couple of months.

Truth is though, there are aggravations with whatever computing environment one chooses. That's why I'm planning to migrate to vermiculture as my main pastime for the future.

10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Yes. I finally realized that for all the aggravation it takes to make Windows work you can use a Linux distro and thumb your nose at Redmond.

Now, it's true that I'm posting this from my old Win10 laptop but that's mainly because I kept it running to do my taxes on. I have Manjaro on a duplicate laptop and will complete the move to it when I move my office in a couple of months.

Truth is though, there are aggravations with whatever computing environment one chooses. That's why I'm planning to migrate to vermiculture as my main pastime for the future.

image.png.6a93f61e5e48fbf7db5d62fc242f5b68.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I bought XP,  like,  ten times.  The first five times,  you were allowed to put it on as many computers as you wanted.  The last five times, you could put it on three computers.

I bought it.  I own it.

Now I can't use it.

It's like saying, "I've got a 40's Chevy truck."

Your destiny lies with linux.  Just embrace it and move on.

• Like 1

So, with Linux, can I access the internet, and my yahoo email account?  What kind of Browser would I have to use? People think I'm crazy because I actually like Internet explorer mainly because I can set it up so that it has a minimal tool bar at the top ands a minimal taskbar at the bottom. At the very top, there's the black tool bar that has the forward and back arrows and the address bar on the Left side and minimize, expand and shutdown on the right, along with Icons for Home, tools and Favorites. and below that there's the narrow white bar that says, "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help over on the left.

That is what I'm used to and it's what I like and it's MINIMAL and I like Minimal and I don't like a bunch of clutter. And speaking of Favorites (or bookmarks) is the re a control on other browsers that is on the toolbar, or is it hidden and you nave to learn the secret handshake to be able to use it?

Also the task bar at the bottom is the way I like it with IE.

So obviously I won't be able to use internet explorer with Linux, but what other kind of browser can I use that is logical and minimal but with everything out in the open and no hidden or disappearing controls? I think that's probably even more important that a non clutters screen having NO hidden controls. I know that you can customize your browser and add things to it but that just means a whole bunch of complicated rigmarole will be involved in trying to figure out how the **** to be able to do it

Here's a screenshot of a google Chrome browser home page that has everything that I need hidden away and a bunch of stuff I don't need front and center.

This is why I hate to change to a whole new system. to say that I'm not a Techie is a huge understatement. I'm a throwback from the cave man era.

256d.jpg

Edited by Borg warner

Chrome is available for Linux. I use Firefox. They both have the features you mention and are both very customizable.

One thing I recommend people do is to install Chrome or Firefox on your Windows machine and configure it just like you want it, then save all your settings using a saved account. Then install the browser in Linux and you have all your settings, bookmarks (favorites), saved passwords, etc.

Edited by gwalchmai

Technology marches on, I have used both systems in the past.  Prior to that a Commodore 64.  I was a fan of XP, it was done well.  The new systems with larger than needed software, created more problems than it solved.  But, I used to program in Basic and Pascal.  I am lost after C+++

Only $4.50 (ethernet x-over cable) and 100 hours wasted so far.

I got a lot of freeware that did some bad things,  and got some programs that do great things,  that I don't think you're supposed to do.

The computer-to-computer network worked (hours),  but didn't work.

I quit trying to "image" the good OS (to hard drives,  flash drives,  portable drives),  and cloned it to an external hard drive I had.  And it installed,  with some (hours) issues.  It worked.

But it didn't work,  because it thinks all the hardware changed and now it still wants reactivated,  which I've also hacked.

But I did download Ubuntu and software that makes the .iso a bootable thumb-drive.  It's in the wings.

I hate Win10,  I want my XP back.  dammit.

(I did download some freeware that seems to give me free Win10.  It's probably legit.)