My convoluted Windows XP thing

Huaco Kid

I have many "net-books" that I use for work.  They all crashed many years ago.  I can rebuild them in 30 minutes.

But they don't last.  The activation runs out every 30 days.  You can't re-activate them because the servers don't exist any more.

I bought XP,  like,  ten times.  The first five times,  you were allowed to put it on as many computers as you wanted.  The last five times, you could put it on three computers.

I bought it.  I own it.

Now I can't use it.

It's like saying, "I've got a 40's Chevy truck."

"Sorry,  we don't support it.  You can't have it. You're shut off."  That's OK.  I'll make my own parts.  I'll buy used parts.

"Nope.  We don't support it.  Your truck won't run any more."

So, I found some "freeware" that let me image the whole disk,  from my magnificent desktop XP PC, to a thumbdrive.  But when I tried to put it on a net-book it, went blue-screen.  Denied!

So, I got an ethernet cross-over cable and am going to make a netbook-to-desktop network and "clone" the desktop XP straight to the netbook.

I'm sure it'll work.

To try to allay the microsoft-eat-me-age,  I bought a win-7 netbook from amazon for a hefty $75.

And it works just fine.

Except my XP ones boot in about 4 seconds.  The 7 one takes three minutes.  Just shoot me.

I swapped out hard-drives.  It's not the netbook, it's 7.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwalchmai said:

How would you like for me to introduce you a computer operating system that is free, that you can put on as many computers as you like, and which Microsoft and Apple cannot take away from you?

And make my five old net-books happy?!?

I OWN XP!

I have a grudge on.

5 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

And make my five old net-books happy?!?

I OWN XP!

I have a grudge on.

Respectfully, I doubt you actually "own" Xp. Most "owners" of M$ OSs are in fact "licensees". (Believe me, I fought the long fight... :))

And yes, I think you can put Linux on netbooks.

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Respectfully, I doubt you actually "own" Xp. Most "owners" of M$ OSs are in fact "licensees". (Believe me, I fought the long fight... :))

Quit confusing me.

I own it.  I bought it.  I can put it on ALL my computers.

But they took it away.

• Haha 1

Quit confusing me.
I own it.  I bought it.  I can put it on ALL my computers.
But they took it away.

The current business model in software - launched with Windows 10 and Office 365 - is monthly/annual rental. Now many are doing this. DropBox and iCloud are “free” for nominal space but have fees beyond that. Adobe products have moved to the monthly rental model. No doubt others with which I have no contact.

Why? The market is saturated with computers, so the rapid growth in annual sales and related growth in units in service and software purchased has ended.

I’m retired and have no need for latest and greatest software. I’m grudgingly running Windows 10 on a supposed one time license fee, and I’m using the Office and Acrobat I bought before retirement. No longer do elaborate writing or spreadsheets. Very basic PDF activity.

The only software I purchase regularly is Turbotax. Don’t think I have any computer games beyond whatever was included with Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The current business model in software - launched with Windows 10 and Office 365 - is monthly/annual rental.

I bought Office 16, on this foldable-gay touch-screen thing.  I OWN it.

365/eat/my/dick is not.

I hope I die before I get old.