Facing a career choice

devildog2067

On 4/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, Silentpoet said:

Which better aligns with your passions and your talents?

I love thinking about aerospace and defense topics. I'm a pretty good manager. I think if the operational job was in an aerospace company I'd have said yes, but it's not.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, Al Czervik said:

Best wishes.  They seem like two very different paths.  Do you have experience managing people and departments?  Most people hate it, few are good at it.

In big businesses in which I am familiar, if you aren't an Executive Director or VP by 35-40, you never will be.

I do. I'm a pretty good manager. But in the business I'm in right now, a big team is 6 people. So it's a different set of management skills than leading a P&L with hundreds of folks reporting to you.

Every exit I've looked at is a VP exit (2 levels down from CEO); I'm 37.

I sent the email closing the door on Option 2 on Monday and told my firm I'm committed to staying in the new role assuming we can get details worked out.

Then yesterday the phone rang, and I've been asked to interview for my literal dream job. Not sure how realistic of a shot I have, but we'll see how it goes.

Life is funny sometimes.

Edited by devildog2067
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, devildog2067 said:

I sent the email closing the door on Option 2 on Monday and told my firm I'm committed to staying in the new role assuming we can get details worked out.

Then yesterday the phone rang, and I've been asked to interview for my literal dream job. Not sure how realistic of a shot I have, but we'll see how it goes.

Life is funny sometimes.

Does your dream job involve electric fences and peeing?

:biggrin:

Best of luck, amigo.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, devildog2067 said:

Life is funny sometimes.

Definitely looking forward to hearing about the dream job. And yes, life sure is funny.

3 hours ago, tous said:

Best space strategy:

Point the things up.

That's where space is.

No charge for the consult, amigo.

:biggrin:

Don't listen to Mr. Slide-rule.

Stealthy space stuff needs to hide under Antarctica, so I say point things down, and they'll pop out into space where nobody will think to look.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, devildog2067 said:

Life is funny sometimes.

Wishing you the very best of luck!  

• Like 1