When Buildings Had Style

Moshe

This building is in Marion In.  It was formerly a Bank, features marble columns inside along with other High end materials.  It has been vacant and unused for several years.  An out of town company purchased the building that had deteriorated due to lack of maintenance.  Some of the exterior materials were falling on to the concrete sidewalk.  The city did not know what to do with it, but it is now undergoing restoration.  They plan to have a café on the main floor and the upper floors will be apartments.  I remember going to the basement with my Dad where it featured a huge walk in vault.  The door to the vault was impressive. 

Hopefully this building can be saved. 

Marion-National-Bank-header.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, norton said:

This building is in Marion In.  It was formerly a Bank, features marble columns inside along with other High end materials.  It has been vacant and unused for several years.  An out of town company purchased the building that had deteriorated due to lack of maintenance.  Some of the exterior materials were falling on to the concrete sidewalk.  The city did not know what to do with it, but it is now undergoing restoration.  They plan to have a café on the main floor and the upper floors will be apartments.  I remember going to the basement with my Dad where it featured a huge walk in vault.  The door to the vault was impressive. 

Hopefully this building can be saved. 

Marion-National-Bank-header.jpg

Used to drive by that every day

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dric902 said:

I’m already hearing about bringing Notre Dame into the more modern era when its rebuilt.

I just watched a historian that said after the French Revolution the Cathedral wasn’t “restored” but “reinterpreted”

I really hope not.  I think the stonework survived at least. 

I wouldn't object to modern improvements in structure and fire suppression though.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Dric902 said:

I was watching a historian today explain that after the French Revolution the man in charge of the rebuilding didn’t “restore” it but “reinterpreted” it.

maybe I’m expecting the worst, but they seem to be setting it up for a “global site” approach.

”gotta get rid of the crucifix, it’s a symbol of torture”

“all those children in the sculpture are nearly naked, that’s pediphilic”

”we should strive to be more inclusive”

That wouldn't surprise me a bit.  Though it wouldn't shock me if Macron gets a lot of blowback for screwing with it.

• Like 1

d140abe7a7afa43f95279282c06ee53b.jpg

4de05a693eaf88ef54dc25187038edb6.jpg

c43d8e1ad86c862d52addbd6e5d130b0.jpg

This building was completed circa 1950. The insurance company for which it was built has long since been absorbed by a larger out of state insurer.

When I worked from an office building across the street in the mid-1960s it was fun to watch the winds whipping women’s skirts and dresses on mild spring lunch hours. And I saw one commercial for KFC being filmed on the balcony - a distraction from girl watching.

There is now talk about demolishing it to put something “better” on the site.

The pictures are from cards listed on eBay and I have presented two reverse images because the texts differ slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

c5ca55f04279c038595167ea57750d8a.jpg

Base station for the Pikes Peak Railway

0e830a25cb59f2533d15ac547eef30ea.jpg

Summit of Pikes Peak

The Railway is closed for rebuilding. The base station is owned by the railway and may be replaced in this process. Don’t know who owns the building at the summit nor whether it will be affected by the Railway rebuild.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, holyjohnson said:

i`ve always been a fan of architecture and design but i went to Monticello when i was younger and that place sealed the deal for me.

Jefferson was as incredible an architect as he was everything else,there's so much to Monticello its hard to take it all in and the house looks so much smaller than it actually is.

the floor to ceiling triple hung windows were,i think brilliant in Virginia`s swampy summers.

President Thomas Jefferson`s Monticello

It is cool that you got to go to Monticello when you were younger.

My children would ask me if I watched it being built. Apparently I was also born before the telephone was invented.

I love my children. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, racerford said:

It is cool that you got to go to Monticello when you were younger.

My children would ask me if I watched it being built. Apparently I was also born before the telephone was invented.

I love my children. 

i was`nt there to help build it,but i was there when DC and Virginia were cool and rural and safe for tourists to walk in so nearly as long ago......

• Like 3

d55d93f5f563fe21e500c4c9652e5d9d.jpg

8404f8f5385f0c08bc9a6f011643f433.jpg

Postcards from eBay offerings.

This was called “the stadium” when I was growing up. Now I think it is called Stone Castle or Rock Castle.

It was built in the 1930s by the CCC aka WPA. The rock supposedly came from deepening the channel of a nearby creek.

• Like 3