So My Wife Likes Plays

Moshe

This weekend we are slated to see the like production of Anne Frank.  They have watched the movie, so they know how it worked out, and not so well for Anne, sadly.  But, it is good that the story goes on, and doesn't just melt away in the cobwebs of history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's one for you if it should happen to tour near you: The Screwtape Letters. It's a one-man performance of the C. S. Lewis book of the same name. No singing or dancing, very thought-provoking. I just attended a performance here in Tulsa at the end of March. Here are the upcoming performances:  https://fpatheatre.com/production/the-screwtape-letters/

• Like 1

I have always enjoyed C.S. Lewis with such novels as "Stranger in a Strange Land."  But, I am a strange duck, I also used to listen H.P. Lovecraft to go to sleep when I was single.  I might start reading a bit more, now, after my eye surgery to open the lids.  Reading was a PITA until a little while ago.  So, I would turn on the TV to fall asleep.  My wife will come to bed turn off the tv and proceed to put on a light plant called Kindle.  It is kind of like trying to sleep with a mag light in your face.

• Like 2

My life likes it, but she likes most musical.  I am somehow dubious about a family dancing, prancing, and singing their way out of Nazi Germany.

As may be. For certain they had a ski lodge in Vermont at one time. Wife and I visited it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one for you if it should happen to tour near you: The Screwtape Letters. It's a one-man performance of the C. S. Lewis book of the same name. No singing or dancing, very thought-provoking. I just attended a performance here in Tulsa at the end of March. Here are the upcoming performances:  https://fpatheatre.com/production/the-screwtape-letters/

Looks interesting, but none close to me. Maybe it will end up on a DVD.

Hal Holbrook had a one man routine “Mark Twain Tonight” which eventually ended up on video. Very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, we went to the play.  I found it irritating from the start.  You go into the foyer and there is a guy dressed in a full WWII  Nazi uniform demanding papers which were you ticket stubs you picked up from on call.  I said, "There is no way in hell I am going to talk to the Nazi."  The usher said, "Sir, it is part of the show."  I replied, "I don't give a damn."  My wife didn't seem to mind so, I just stood away with my arms crossed and glaring.  This is the same **** they pull of Jewish students to harass them on University campuses.  So, I thought it was in terrible taste and shouldn't have been done. 

It got worse than that, they had their two German speaking Nazi's parading through the audience.  Their German sucked, so I understood them just fine.  Then at the end the Nazi's burst in on the set and lead the howling and, wailing Jews to their deaths.  They were going right past me.  I kept feeling my muscles twitch, and wanted to leap on the Nazi's, beat, stab, and shoot them respectively.  Irrational I know, but it was like an instinctive urge.  Something deep within that said kill those monsters.  So, I thought their version of Anne Frank was over the top with parading through the audience and demanding papers.  My wife cried, I got a blood lust built up.

1 minute ago, KWalrad said:

Four letters...

E

X

I

T

If it disturbs you that much, then by all means, sit there and stew instead of dismissing yourself and taking your leave.

I also have a four letter word for you:

W

I

F

E

I think that says it all,  She likes the movie for a sob story.  Women like to vent emotions that way. 

Also, she was my:

R

I

D

E

A bit of a hike to take that walker 60 miles.

No, but the glare of death is now in my purview now that my eye lids have been operated on.  I thought the Nazi stamping tickets was in complete **** taste considering Jews are treated like this in most United States Campuses with bullies "Demanding their papers."  That was just to get in the ******* play.  It was worse if there were as a plantation owner saying, "Niger, where are you travel passes?"  Screaming shitty German that I understood well about the "Juden" and pointing a Luger at a set of screaming, wailing Jews, set off something primal in me that wanted to kill.  Had it been two real Nazis doing that to two real Jews, I wouldn't hesitate.  There would be two dead Nazis beaten, stabbed, and shot. I did find one bit of humor, Pater was supposed to have had a cat named Moshe, they pronounced once correctly then he was called Mushe.  They did well on the Hanukah scene, someone coached them in a Hebrew song I am familiar with singing. 

So, that being said, I didn't yell at the actors.  But, I sure as **** was not going to play, give me your papers ****.

23 hours ago, Moshe said:

I also have a four letter word for you:

W

I

F

E

I think that says it all,  She likes the movie for a sob story.  Women like to vent emotions that way. 

Also, she was my:

R

I

D

E

A bit of a hike to take that walker 60 miles.

That was a bit of poor planing on your part, I would say.

?

Let’s see: you went to a play about the life/times of Anne Frank, with the period-correct portrayal of Nazi Germany... and you’re upset by how they acted?? You realize that that’s how they were, right? What were you expecting, Girl Scouts?

I don’t think you’re getting the concept of DRAMATIC EFFECT. It’s kinda how plays (and movies) work, and why people go to see them in the first place. Being immersed in the period and culture/society of whatever the play happens to be about is a part of the experience. People want to see how it was; maybe something to keep in mind the next time you entertain these internet mall-ninja Walter Mitty fantasies of assaulting play actors (or “death-glaring” them, whatever).  ?

Finally, I think everyone should have at least a passing idea of how horrible the Nazi regime really was, and what a great thing it was that good men rose up to defeat it. Aren’t we always quoting “those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it”? You even said as much in the OP: “But, it is good that the story goes on, and doesn't just melt away in the cobwebs of history.”

Edited by Rizzo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, willie-pete said:

That was a bit of poor planing on your part, I would say.

?

Well, believe it or not, I cannot prognosticate the future of racial insensitivity, and I cannot drive that far on my own physically.  So, I am guessing, if I had a choice, which only Hindus and Buddhists adhere too, my only poor planning would have been being born?

57 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Well, believe it or not, I cannot prognosticate the future of racial insensitivity, and I cannot drive that far on my own physically.  So, I am guessing, if I had a choice, which only Hindus and Buddhists adhere too, my only poor planning would have been being born?

Or not having Uber on speed dial.

4 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Actually, I think I’ve been to Conroe back when I lived in Texas and spent some time at Ellington.

Not much there.  Less where I live.  You could probably get an Uber in Humble, and more than likely Houston.