Notre Dame is burning down

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

That building is over 800 years old.  Think about all that it has seen.  

This is a tragedy.

There were a lot of renovations being done.  They think that is where this started.  Obviously nobody knows for sure yet.

They said there was a lot of lead-work going on.  I suspect that that takes a lot of fire.

(I don't consider twitter to be any kind of a news source.)

• Like 1

"Jussie Smollett was attacked by white MAGA-hat wearing racists at 2 a.m. while walking home from Subway in the middle of a polar vortex...and somehow never lost hold of his sandwich."

I'm almost 88% certain that the fire was accidental.

87.8% to be exact.

• Like 1

Shepard Smith Shuts Down Discussion of Attacks on French Churches: ‘Not on My Watch’

"Fox anchor Shepard Smith on Monday melted down when a French guest attempted to explain the ongoing attacks, violence and vandalism against French churches. Talking about the fire engulfing Notre Dame, where the cause is unknown, guest Philippe Karsenty began, “For the past years, we've had churches desecrated each and every week all over France.” "

Twenty minutes later, Smith came back to concede the point about violence against French Christians, allowing, “There have been a number of attacks on Catholic churches in the Paris area. But those two things [the Notre Dame fire and past incidents], we are not connecting at this moment.” 

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday,  Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson."

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/scott-whitlock/2019/04/15/shepard-smith-wont-allow-discussion-attacks-french-churches-not

"SHEPARD SMITH: Philippe Karsenty is on the line with us, a French elected official who is in Paris now. 

PHILIPPE KARSENTY (French elected official): Hi. 

SMITH: Felipe, what have you seen and what do you know? 

KARSENTY: Well, I was close to the scene when it happened. I left because we want to let people work around it. Everybody's really under shock now in France. I would tell you something. Even if nobody died, it's like a 9/11, a French 9/11. It's a big shock. This church was there for more than 850 years. Even the Nazis didn’t You need to know that for the past years, we've had churches desecrated each and every week all over France. So, of course, you will hear the story of the politically —  the political correctness which will tell you it's probably an accident."

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Think there is any truth to this? 

The author is a Times reporter.

1.png.cf06fb287aa30b5b25f6d89a08d19955.png2.png.8eb7308ce1a68f6ea259c9817f0eed7c.png

The thing about terrorists and bigots, if they survive the encounter, they want to take credit for it.  So, unless someone does, I will wait to see who is proud of their work.  On the lesser side, it could simply be a bedwetting arsonist.   I will remain open minded until there is evidence one way or the other.  There is a reason churches have encouraged members to carry concealed on the down low.  After the San Antonio shooting.  Messianic congregations carry flat out in the open or concealed.  They receive lots and lots of bomb threats. Then there is the whole Tree of Life slaughter, mainly because that Rabbi was anti-gun.  Life in this country and others mandate the carrying of arms to be allowed to assemble according to their religious predilections, or just be a victim,

There has been a lot of uprising in Paris, almost on the order of the French Revolution.  Churches were not popular during that time period either.  Long diatribe short, I will reserve judgment until the evidence is in,

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moshe said:

The thing about terrorists and bigots, if they survive the encounter, they want to take credit for it.  So, unless someone does, I will wait to see who is proud of their work.  On the lesser side, it could simply be a bedwetting arsonist.   I will remain open minded until there is evidence one way or the other.  There is a reason churches have encouraged members to carry concealed on the down low.  After the San Antonio shooting.  Messianic congregations carry flat out in the open or concealed.  They receive lots and lots of bomb threats. Then there is the whole Tree of Life slaughter, mainly because that Rabbi was anti-gun.  Life in this country and others mandate the carrying of arms to be allowed to assemble according to their religious predilections, or just be a victim,

There has been a lot of uprising in Paris, almost on the order of the French Revolution.  Churches were not popular during that time period either.  Long diatribe short, I will reserve judgment until the evidence is in,

No CC in France.

• Sad 1

Amazingly beautiful place.

we couldn’t make a comparable structure today. We don’t have the drive or discipline, patience or reverence to recreate it.

it would die from lawsuits, environmental studies, committee infighting, political bullshit.

and somebody is going to say it was deserved, just so they can “trend” for a day or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the news just now, it looks like some of the structure was saved. The front face of the cathedral looks pretty much intact.

I hope somebody had the time to grab all those priceless relics and get them the hell out of the building. Hell, the original crown of thorns is on display there (if you believe the stories).

If this turns out to be arson, they need to be put against a wall and shot. Unbelievable...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't heard an update in awhile, but I've yet to hear of any related fatalities.

Masonry can be rebuilt. Lost lives not so much. While the loss of History may be great, the lack of lives lost is far greater.

Perspective, my Friends.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fog said:

CPlan to rebuild.

I guess the Macaroni has already appealed to the international community for skilled craftsmen. Something like  that will take more than your average handyman.

It won't have the soul that the original artists put into it.  The original craftsmen spent their lives making a creation that would be a testament to their skill for the appreciation of all humanity.  Then next one will be a testament to the CNC machines.

Edited by janice6

1 hour ago, kerbie18 said:

I took these pics with my phone LAST WEEK. I'm sure some of you remember my spring break thread....

Good that you and your family got to see the neato stuff in Paris.

Notre Dame is not gone, just bruised a bit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

It won't have the soul that the original artists put into it.  The original craftsmen spent their lives making a creation that would be a testament to their skill for the appreciation of all humanity.  Then next one will be a testament to the CN

Not just the craftman's lives, but their children, grandchildren and great grand children.

Trades were passed on from father to son for generations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Fog said:

Plan to rebuild.

I guess the Macaroni has already appealed to the international community for skilled craftsmen. Something like  that will take more than your average handyman.

The type of people who have the skill and knowledge to reproduce 12th century work like this....are mostly history themselves....the ones alive are precious few.

• Like 3

From a practical standpoint the rebuilding will be faster just from the simple fact of power tools and big machines.

Large pieces that took a year to jack into place can now be lifted and secured in a half hour.

I think the original workman would be pleased to see that what they built was valued enough by the current generation to rebuild it.

The trees are still available. Stone is still available. Plenty of copper to be had.

It won't be exactly the same, but I can promise you those who work on it will give it their very best and instill their own soul into the work.

It is a worthy endeavor.

• Like 2