We adopted a new family member!

Sigobsessed

Mrs Sig and I went down and found a new family member! Her name is Daffodil and we just call her Daffy!  The aspca took her from her abusers, she is a five year old beagle and only weighed 8lbs and couldn’t even hold herself up! She’s up to 12lbs now and has tons of energy! Here’s some pics of the little angel!!!

2C47E204-B674-43F7-A30B-5D05942F676F.jpeg

F47363B7-5B98-4EA7-9844-40CA351BA364.jpeg

AEAF87E8-52E5-4FC9-B993-EE7EDF7BD1AE.jpeg

7B5FC0F2-D792-4CC7-927B-21B244EDECEE.jpeg

1B8D4239-BC97-4849-A066-3698EACDECF1.jpeg

9CBF5042-1E34-41C2-9BD6-8A78AE1ECB32.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Sigobsessed said:

Mrs Sig and I went down and found a new family member! Her name is Daffodil and we just call her Daffy!  The aspca took her from her abusers, she is a five year old beagle and only weighed 8lbs and couldn’t even hold herself up! She’s up to 12lbs now and has tons of energy! Here’s some pics of the little angel!!!

2C47E204-B674-43F7-A30B-5D05942F676F.jpeg

F47363B7-5B98-4EA7-9844-40CA351BA364.jpeg

AEAF87E8-52E5-4FC9-B993-EE7EDF7BD1AE.jpeg

7B5FC0F2-D792-4CC7-927B-21B244EDECEE.jpeg

1B8D4239-BC97-4849-A066-3698EACDECF1.jpeg

9CBF5042-1E34-41C2-9BD6-8A78AE1ECB32.jpeg

She's a beauty.  You've done a wonderful thing for both your family and the dog..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love dogs, they are the only one's capable of unconditional love on the planet.  I finally had a break through with our rat terrier pup this morning.  He has been resistant to using the outside.  I don't want to put him in the backyard with the GSD.  He loves the little guy, but plays rough.  That, and Snoopy can easily squeeze out of the hurricane fence gates.  I put him on a leash and take him to the bus stop daily without success.  He is quick about his business, so catching him and getting him outside is pointless.  I felt some resistance in the leash and she dropped a steamer in about five seconds flat.  Of course I told him what a wonderful dog he was, and gave him some training treats on returning to the house.  Now, the trick is, being able to walk him out into the yard so he can repeat the process and associate reward with doing his business outside. I noticed you had pee pads for your beagle.  I wish you the best in your new dog, and training him.  Dogs are smart.  They can also be devious.  I get tired of my GSD running around and yipping at the caged live stock as that stresses them.  So, when I hear bark, he thinks there is a person or problem.  When I hear yip, I know he is doing something he is not supposed to.  So, I remove him from his fun in the sun back to his sleeping kennel for a few hours and then release him back out.  The yipping has decreased quite a bit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Moshe said:

I love dogs, they are the only one's capable of unconditional love on the planet.  I finally had a break through with our rat terrier pup this morning.  He has been resistant to using the outside.  I don't want to put him in the backyard with the GSD.  He loves the little guy, but plays rough.  That, and Snoopy can easily squeeze out of the hurricane fence gates.  I put him on a leash and take him to the bus stop daily without success.  He is quick about his business, so catching him and getting him outside is pointless.  I felt some resistance in the leash and she dropped a steamer in about five seconds flat.  Of course I told him what a wonderful dog he was, and gave him some training treats on returning to the house.  Now, the trick is, being able to walk him out into the yard so he can repeat the process and associate reward with doing his business outside. I noticed you had pee pads for your beagle.  I wish you the best in your new dog, and training him.  Dogs are smart.  They can also be devious.  I get tired of my GSD running around and yipping at the caged live stock as that stresses them.  So, when I hear bark, he thinks there is a person or problem.  When I hear yip, I know he is doing something he is not supposed to.  So, I remove him from his fun in the sun back to his sleeping kennel for a few hours and then release him back out.  The yipping has decreased quite a bit.

Daffy goes outside when you bring her outside but she doesn’t know your not supposed to go inside yet! 

Im glad that your making progress with your little one! This little gal is very intelligent! She’s already getting us figured out I think! She is showing great improvement in her trust of us each day! Hopefully soon she will forget the past and just be able to enjoy her life with us!!!

• Like 2

I tell people that I trained my dog to wait at the top of the stairs, and put his head down when I come up so I can kiss him on top of the head.

My son says the dog trained me to kiss the top of his head, when I come up stairs.

Perspective is everything.l

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I tell people that I trained my dog to wait at the top of the stairs, and put his head down when I come up so I can kiss him on top of the head.

My son says the dog trained me to kiss the top of his head, when I come up stairs.

Perspective is everything.l

My wife was irritated the other day.  Snoopy got ahold of one of her slippers and she told him to drop it and he went on his merry way.  I told him Yuck! Drop it!, Like I have done for all my puppies, and he immediately dropped it.  Puppies are like toddlers, they will put anything in their mouth.  So, Yuck! Drop it! is something I tach them early on so they don't hurt themselves.  It works for objects you don't want mauled either.

• Thanks 1

My wife has a tendency to have a discussion with my dog  about why he shouldn't do something.  I have tried to have a discussion with my wife about this but sometimes I think we both are having the same problem.

I am resolute about consistency when using words for commands.  Always the same words for the same expectation of obedience.  Simple statement, few words.  My wife will have a drawn out dissertation with him and never use the same phrase twice for the same command.  

When I listen to her talk to the dog, it is mindful of some of the discussions we have had with each other.  Both tend to produce the same outcome.

• Like 1