So... Do you answer questions with "So"?

gwalchmai

Today was Recycling Day in Gwinnett County, in celebration of the upcoming Earth Day next week. (One might ask why the county administrators didn't schedule Gwinnett Recycling Day on the Earth Day weekend, but that would only show one's lack of acquaintance with county administrators.)

In any event, Gwalchmai Manor being on the western frontier of the county and The Event being near the eastern, I had ample time to listen to WABE ("Where ATL meets NPR") during my drive. Mr. Scott Simon of Weekend Edition was interviewing a young woman who is a sophomore at Georgetown University about a non-binding referendum there regarding a proposed fee increase to fund reparations for alleged descendants of slaves sold by the University in 1832. I noticed that she began her responses with "So..." I then noticed another interviewee doing the same.

I've noticed this trend among younger (hipper?) people in the media and I find it excruciating. Later, Laura Hillenbrand was interviewed about the recent death of Richard Cole and I noticed that she began every response with a fully formed sentence, and sounded like an intelligent person.

Sorry, gotta go - someone is walking on my lawn...

Edited by gwalchmai

reminded me of me and a buddy in the Army.  I was doing some paperwork and explaining something.  Every time I'd finish an explanation he'd ask another one or two word question.  We kept it up for about 10 minutes until our NCO lost it and had to leave the office.  12 years later it still makes me laugh.  

20 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

reminded me of me and a buddy in the Army.  I was doing some paperwork and explaining something.  Every time I'd finish an explanation he'd ask another one or two word question.  We kept it up for about 10 minutes until our NCO lost it and had to leave the office.  12 years later it still makes me laugh.  

Huh?

8 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Huh?

Actually, I think he said "why" every time.  We weren't doing it to annoy the NCO on purpose, that was just a side benefit.  Entering flight hours into the old system from paper logs could be quite tedious, especially when the company gives you a full week's worth at once to enter.  Spending 7 hours straight doing data entry was not one of my favorite things, but it wasn't as bad as other.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about:

SIMON: And how would the money in this fund be used?

MICHAEL: So the referendum proposes a $27.20 fee added to the cost of attendance semesterly at Georgetown University. It's designated by five students and five descendants, who would be democratically elected. And they would utilize the funds to work on projects or initiatives meant to empower and support descendant communities - things like eyeglass exams, things like Internet access, paving roads.

So we included things like that as recommendations so that they're nonbinding in order to allow the descendants and students on the board to really sit down and to analyze the needs of descendant communities and to collaboratively come up with the best way to address those needs...

========

9 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Today was Recycling Day in Gwinnett County, in celebration of the upcoming Earth Day next week. (One might ask why the county administrators didn't schedule Gwinnett Recycling Day on the Earth Day weekend, but that would only show one's lack of acquaintance with county administrators.)

In any event, Gwalchmai Manor being on the western frontier of the county and The Event being near the eastern, I had ample time to listen to WABE ("Where ATL meets NPR") during my drive. Mr. Scott Simon of Weekend Edition was interviewing a young woman who is a sophomore at Georgetown University about a non-binding referendum there regarding a proposed fee increase to fund reparations for alleged descendants of slaves sold by the University in 1832. I noticed that she began her responses with "So..." I then noticed another interviewee doing the same.

I've noticed this trend among younger (hipper?) people in the media and I find it excruciating. Later, Laura Hillenbrand was interviewed about the recent death of Richard Cole and I noticed that she began every response with a fully formed sentence, and sounded like an intelligent person.

Sorry, gotta go - someone is walking on my lawn...

It seems unfortunate that a large percentage of our population can not make a statement without starting the sentence with "So,".  It's been going on long enough that I find it very irritating.