"The Highwaymen"

SC Tiger

If you haven't, give "The Highwaymen" a look on Netflix.  It's the story of Frank Hamer's pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde from his perspective.  It's not 100% authentic but it is a good movie.

What does appear to be authentic is how the public adored Bonnie and Clyde.  Which is disturbing, but not surprising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

If you haven't, give "The Highwaymen" a look on Netflix.  It's the story of Frank Hamer's pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde from his perspective.  It's not 100% authentic but it is a good movie.

What does appear to be authentic is how the public adored Bonnie and Clyde.  Which is disturbing, but not surprising.

That's true.  Look how back then they admired criminals just like they do now.  The only difference from then to now, is that we now call them politicians instead of thieves and murderers.

• Administrators

It wasn't incredible, but I enjoyed it. Costner and Harrelson together will always get a look from me. With the exception of a couple of monologues by Costner and Harrelson, there wasn't a lot of substance to the movie, but again, I enjoyed it well enough. I always love a period setting like that, especially with a lot of guns and cars.

The one question I walked away from the movie with was whether that huge steel Michelin-Man-esque armor suit in one of the Dallas scenes was actually a thing back then. It looked ridiculous, but it would probably would have been fairly effective, with some obvious limitations. It would be like a tank in a tight urban setting. It would need to have a screening force to keep a bad guy from getting in close, where the armored guy could simply be pushed over and/or a gun barrel stuck into a soft spot in the suit.

Anyway, it was a decent flick. I particularly liked the look into Depression-era poverty in the US south. Not many modern movies have depicted that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it was OK. Then again, I watched Lynch's 1984 version of Dune last night on Amazon, and it was "OK", too. You just have to wonder about some artistic decisions, but I guess I couldn't do near as well.

Anyway, I thought the gun store scene with Costner buying all the hardware was supposed to be reminiscent of The Terminator, but was silly seeing as how he didn't use them. Plus Hamer probably didn't have funds to pay for all that anyway. IMHO that screen time would have been better spent with Hamer 'splaining why he liked that .35 Remington.

Oh, and Harrelson's restroom scene was good. ?

23 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Yeah, it was OK. Then again, I watched Lynch's 1984 version of Dune last night on Amazon, and it was "OK", too. You just have to wonder about some artistic decisions, but I guess I couldn't do near as well.

Anyway, I thought the gun store scene with Costner buying all the hardware was supposed to be reminiscent of The Terminator, but was silly seeing as how he didn't use them. Plus Hamer probably didn't have funds to pay for all that anyway. IMHO that screen time would have been better spent with Hamer 'splaining why he liked that .35 Remington.

Oh, and Harrelson's restroom scene was good. ?

That scene was great.  "Barrow may be the king, but I'm a Texas Ranger."  

I also loved the part where he was offering to bribe the Louisiana Sheriff and they pinned him to the desk and showed him the whatever-it-was.

"Well then you're just the type of men we're looking for."

Gun store scene was actually kinda funny but I noticed he stayed with the Peacemaker until the last shootout.  Hamer actually used a modified .35 Remington - was modified to take a detachable box magazine.  He liked it because he felt like they were going to be facing Bonnie and Clyde in their car.  And the guns were actually supplied by Colt (for the most part).  Apparently one of the cars Bonnie and Clyde had used in a shootout and abandoned was examined and a .45 slug wouldn't penetrate the body.  

Hamer supposedly kept all of the guns from the hunt, and was also given most of Bonnie and Clyde's guns as well.  Just as well, because they never paid him.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

It wasn't incredible, but I enjoyed it. Costner and Harrelson together will always get a look from me. With the exception of a couple of monologues by Costner and Harrelson, there wasn't a lot of substance to the movie, but again, I enjoyed it well enough. I always love a period setting like that, especially with a lot of guns and cars.

The one question I walked away from the movie with was whether that huge steel Michelin-Man-esque armor suit in one of the Dallas scenes was actually a thing back then. It looked ridiculous, but it would probably would have been fairly effective, with some obvious limitations. It would be like a tank in a tight urban setting. It would need to have a screening force to keep a bad guy from getting in close, where the armored guy could simply be pushed over and/or a gun barrel stuck into a soft spot in the suit.

Anyway, it was a decent flick. I particularly liked the look into Depression-era poverty in the US south. Not many modern movies have depicted that.

I saw the armor but it looked almost like a joke.  It might be good when facing an opponent in a car, (if you could move laterally in it) but if they got in close you better get them before they get within hands range.   

The woman governor of Texas was a surprise but that was actually true.  She was an obvious puppet candidate of her husband but was still surprising.  She actually disbanded the Rangers because they refused to serve a corrupt governor and about 40 quit.  She then disbanded the rest.  They were re-constituted in 1935 after she left office.

47 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

I thought it was a great movie. Frank Hamer is a favorite law man of mine. tom. :cowboy2:

Hamer was a very un-appreciated lawman among the general public.  I think the part about him being the most decorated Texas Ranger in their history is true.

There are questions as to whether Hamer and his men gave Bonnie and Clyde a chance to surrender.  IMO, sometime right about the 2-dozen murder mark, you stop giving a **** and takes them however yous can gets them.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

i thought it was good,Better than Bonnie and Clyde with faye dunaway. (except for Gene Hackman)

and way better than that remake a few years ago.

i like the aspect of the Law chasing them and what they had to do to get close to them.

Harrelson and Costner were good in it too.

the scene in the hardware store buying the guns made me wish for the old days.

Edited by holyjohnson