It's hockey playoff season

tous

:woohoo:

I understand that few here are fans of the best sport ever.

I made a vow in 1968 that I woudln't die until the St. Louis Blues won the Stanley Cup.

Fifty one years later ....

Either, this year or I live until I'm 329.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

If' you don't know what HNIC is, leave this thread, ya numpty.

Hmmmmm.

It appears that the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won since 1966.

But, they have won the Cup before; thirteen times from back in the Original Six days.

They don't deserve to win if they can't spell 'leaves' correctly.  :miff:

• Haha 2

• Administrators

It just occurred to me that the game could be called Honkey and the name would be equally apt. Has there ever been a black guy that played NHL? Just curious. Anyway, I'm not much for watching sports on TV, but I enjoy watching a Hockey game in person.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eric said:

It just occurred to me that the game could be called Honkey and the name would be equally apt. Has there ever been a black guy that played NHL? Just curious. Anyway, I'm not much for watching sports on TV, but I enjoy watching a Hockey game in person.

I saw a black player a while back. tom.

There have been many black guys that are and have played in the NHL.

Keep in mind that, like all of the Hispanic players in baseball, it has a lot to do with the demographics of where they grew up.

Probably not a large African population in Saskatoon.

Watching in person is so much more satisfying.

On television, you don't really see the flow of the line changes.

• Like 2

I guess it won't be too long, then, before we see several skinny muslims playing for the Wild!!  ;^>

1 hour ago, tous said:

There have been many black guys that are and have played in the NHL.

Keep in mind that, like all of the Hispanic players in baseball, it has a lot to do with the demographics of where they grew up.

Probably not a large African population in Saskatoon.

Watching in person is so much more satisfying.

On television, you don't really see the flow of the line changes.

• Like 2

I really wanted Las Vegas to take it all last year.  What a first year run they had.

And Tous, maybe you can help me out here...when I moved to Ottawa back in 1996 I went into one of those hockey 'chat rooms' that were around then and asked "Why are the Canadiens nicknamed Habs?  What is a Hab?"  I got one answer back.  The guy said Habs is short for habitats (humans).  No one else ever responded, which made me think no one else knew the answer either, but were afraid to say so.  So do you happen to know the answer?  Thanks. 

The French word for inhabitants is: habitant, and that's what the early French settlers were know as.

Thus, Hab as a shortened version for modern habitants.

Quebec is a French-speaking province.

Note well that this is wrong.

The H in the CH logo of the Montreal Canadiens  (note difference in spelling) stands for Hockey.

Edited by tous
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, tous said:

The French word for habitants is: habitant, and that's what the early French settlers were know as.

Ahhhh...there's my answer!  Thank you.  1996 was long before Google. hahaha. (And I spelled it Canadiens). :^>

Ken Dryden will always be my favorite goalie.  

• Like 1

The Detroit Redwings famous octopus at Joe Louis Arena symbolized that a team needed eight wins to win the Stanley Cup.

That was back in the Original Six days.

Today, you need to win 16 games.

NB HNIC = Hockey Night in Canada.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tous said:

The Detroit Redwings famous octopus at Joe Louis Arena symbolized that a team needed eight wins to win the Stanley Cup.

That was back in the Original Six days.

Today, you need to win 16 games.

NB HNIC = Hockey Night in Canada.

:biggrin:

Yup, the playoffs go on forever.  That's why I wait until the Finals.  I get the very best in hockey in a maximum of seven games...overtime notwithstanding.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think that the only hockey game I ever watched on TV start-to-finish was the Miracle on Ice. I'll never forget that game.

You may not be old enough to remember how the Soviets somehow bought the Olympic final basketball game in 1972.  In those days all the USA players were college amateurs.  The Soviets were their best 'professional' players from the Soviet Army.  USA had never lost an Olympic basketball game since it became an Olympic sport in 1932.  The ending of that game was mind boggling.  The refs kept calling fouls, adding time, and giving the ball to the Soviets until the Soviets had the lead when the clock was at zero.  UNBELIEVABLE!

So that 1980 hockey game, with true American amateurs defeating the Soviet Army professionals fairly and squarely, was extra sweet!!

• Like 5

Haven't seen a hockey game since the 04/05 strike. While growing up my dad had season tickets for the red wings, once I was old enough I started to buy the season tickets for my family also. When the entire NHL went on strike I said enough and haven't watched a game since.

The red wings got a new stadium on the tax payers dime a couple years back and I refuse to go there as well.

It averaged about $200.00 per game we were paying in 2003 and they say they were not getting enough money. Now they get none of mine.

• Like 1

So ( just to annoy  gwalch  :biggrin:  )

I have watched games in each series, all of them in the western conference.

A lot of penalties.  Some teams are getting 5 or 6 power plays.

Great games, the goalies have sparkled.

Few things better in sport than playoff hockey.

Just to really vex NBC, can we hope that the finals are Washington vs San Jose?

Fly across the country a few times, odd starting times, the network will hate it.

• Like 1