Which barrel for my new G19 for GSSF Unlimited?

PNWguy

Picking up a new G19 Gen 4 FS to shoot in GSSF.  For Unlimited, was thinking of picking up an aftermarket barrel.  Was wanting something that helped reduce recoil.  I recall that Lone Wolf used to have extended length barrels with two ports on the end.  Can't seem to find them now.

Any other ideas?

I don't know that just porting the barrel will cause issues, but on an extended threaded barrel with a comp, you need a heavier load just to make the gun cycle.  It kind of defeats the purpose if you have to run a higher powered load to make the comp work...unless you're using the comp to tame a heavier load.  For example, a minor PF 185gr JHP load that runs just fine in a stock G30 or G21 won't even cycle enough to extract/eject the brass when fired from a comp'd 6" LW G21 barrel.

"The GLOCK 19C Gen4 marks the first time a compact C pistol has been offered as part of the Gen 4 family. The GLOCK 19C Gen4 is equipped with integral barrel ports which optimize performance during rapid firing allowing the shooter to get back on target quicker. Additional benefits are reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil. The GLOCK 19C Gen4 also features the Modular Back Strap system, which allows shooters to customize the pistol's grip to accommodate any hand size, Gen4 rough textured technology on the frame, and a dual recoil spring assembly. The G19C Gen4 9x19mm pistol also retains the GLOCK accessory rail for accessory attachments."  Glock.com

If I wanted ports, I'd get this.  But YMMV. 

The gun functions fine with a variety of ammo, but the barrel, so far, is less accurate than the stock one.  It is odd.  This gun will not group with certain ammo no matter the barrel.  Blazer Brass 124gr shots around an 8" group at 25yds.  With Remington UMC 124gr, 115gr, and WWB 115gr, it will do between 2 1/8" to 3".  Best the Storm Lake barrel will do is 3".  Part of it may be the awful trigger; worst Glock trigger I've ever experienced.  Polished it last night and did some work and it is a little better, but still noticeably worse than my stock G29 trigger.  

I will try to simply shoot it more and see if it's just me.  Might have just been an off day at the range.  Might also try reloading for 9mm and see if some target loads with Hornady bullets yields tighter groups.  Or might just buy a new Glock trigger group and see if that helps. 

The goal is consistent 2" groups at 25yds with off-the-shelf ammo.

• 8 months later...

Go with KKM and a 3 or 4 port comp with a couple bleeders. Should run well with +P or NATO ammo, maybe not bulk. Running a comp requires matching ammo to your combination to keep gun flat and reliable.

• 1 month later...

I'd be a little concerned with reliability using a ported barrel with most factory ammo. Most range grade ammo doesn't create the volume of gas needed to run a ported or comped barrel in an otherwise stock 9mm. If you plan to run reloads, you could build a load specifically for it tho. Good luck.

s45

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.