Alright now, look

Dric902

A good friend of mine was telling me about his new AR for home defense. Right next to his bed loaded with super duper man destroyer ammo and a 1000 lumen light to burn the face off a zombie and a remote laser.

I asked him if he had hearing protection with the rifle.....no, I’m sure I won’t even notice if the time comes.

have you ever fired it in an enclosed area....at the indoor range

have you tried it without the hearing protection...he’ll no, I’m not crazy

I have fired one in a living room, put some hearing protection with it next to your bed. I promise you that your first shot will be great, the next won’t be for a few seconds and not as great as the previous one. Because you will say “oh ****” twice and check to see if it blew up in your hand before you fire again, and you won’t want to then.

Saying that you won’t notice “when the **** hits the fan” is nice to build up your man card, but it’s bullshit in practice. 

use a low pressure caliber like a 44/38 special, 20 gauge, or even 45 if your not going to use hearing protection for home defense. It will still be loud as hell but not painful and startling like a 223.

Just my .02 cents

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

A good friend of mine was telling me about his new AR for home defense. Right next to his bed loaded with super duper man destroyer ammo and a 1000 lumen light to burn the face off a zombie and a remote laser.

I asked him if he had hearing protection with the rifle.....no, I’m sure I won’t even notice if the time comes.

I have fired one in a living room, put some hearing protection with it next to your bed. I promise you that your first shot will be great, the next won’t be for a few seconds and not as great as the previous one. Because you will say “oh ****” twice and check to see if it blew up in your hand before you fire again, and you won’t want to then.

Saying that you won’t notice “when the **** hits the fan” is nice to build up your man card, but it’s bull**** in practice. 

use a low pressure caliber like a 44/38 special, 20 gauge, or even 45 if your not going to use hearing protection for home defense. It will still be loud as hell but not painful and startling like a 223.

Just my .02 cents

I'm not saying your wrong Dric, but I'll chip in my .02 which differs a bit.  I've never fired an AR without hearing protection and don't plan to start.  I also don't use an AR for home defense preferring my Mossberg 930.  I have fired my Mossberg in a HD situation without hearing protection and outside.  I'm hear (LOL) to tell you that I didn't notice the bang at all either time and I could still hear the air whooshing out of his tires.  I don't recommend it, cause who knows I may have suffered some hearing loss, but at the time my blood was up and all I cared about was stopping him from getting away, so the blast was a non factor.  Again I was outside not inside and it was a 12 gauge, not an AR in .556.

between the noise/pressure level, and the length to be effective, I changed my home defense gun from a .223 rifle to a 300 blackout pistol.  I do have some subsonic expanding rounds for it, but prefer the 120 grain rounds.  If my suppressor ever gets out of NFA lockup it'll end up the same length as an AR-15 rifle, but a whole lot quieter.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

So the conclusion I reach is that auditory exclusion happens, but there are decibel limits.

Decibels and percussion limits. With good hearing protection, no problem. And it deafens and concusses the bad guy as well.

I have on good authority that nothing will convince a home invader of your willingness to shoot more than wearing electronic hearing protection when you confront him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, Dric902 said:

Saying that you won’t notice “when the **** hits the fan” is nice to build up your man card, but it’s bull**** in practice. 

Just my .02 cents

I hear you.  Well, I don't so well.  Both my ear drums are pretty much blown, and I can force air through them.  For five years, I had issued the equivalent of fat lawn mower ear muffs, because when you are in uniform, you used what they gave you.  Every three months like clock work, you were in line with 13 or so other guys firing a full auto M-4.  I  had to sacrifice my right ear, to get a good aim.  The guy on my left is also blasting away and you are almost so close you could lock arms.  So, with traffic noise, or a noisy restaurant, I have no damn clue what someone is saying to me.  So, yes,  the AR can be a home defense weapon.  However, when I obtained proper flat, rifle, hearing protection for my kids and wife at an outdoor range, they complained it was too loud.  Hearing loss is not fun.  My AR is for outside work.  My .45 ACP is for indoor work, along with a shotgun.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, M&P15T said:

I've considered getting some electronic ear muffs for HD. Seems like a good idea, including at the range.

I have lost most of my hearing and I find Electronic Ear Muffs to be a great addition to your shooting requirements.

Without the muffs I have trouble, with them when the shooting stops, I have a build in hearing aide!

• 3 weeks later...

...and yet day after day the regular old solider fights indoors and out without ear pro for the most part.  People put WAY too much though into a situation that won't likely happen but then entirely discount the reality of people that are actually doing this very thing.

I'd love to see stats where anyone defending their home with anything wore ear pro.  It's a silly debate.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix
  • Like 1

I've fired 5.56 many times indoors without hearing protection. We were too cool for it in the day. :couch: Training is no place for that sort of shenanigan, either.

I don't recall the sound being much of a distractor, but my ears rang for a while afterward. 

What I do remember is the concussion off the muzzle. Add a few of them together and it could become disorienting. We were shooting 20 inch rifles. Start to shorten the barrel and sound becomes enough to be physically damaging (around the 10-11 inch length) and the concussion becomes much more pronounced. Making the room smaller is another layer to factor. A hallway will be pretty rough, even with hearing protection. Many describe it as feeling like you got hit int the face without the effects of the punch, and I find that accurate.

If you get the chance try to do some shooting in a shoot house. Make sure it has a roof for full effect. It can help with the distraction and let you become familiar with what is going to come at you. Chances are the event would be handled OK, as many SD events are successful every day by people with no idea what they are in for.

Edited by LostinTexas

On 4/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, G19 DB said:

Just put a can on it.

Well, actually, some of the most dangerous sound waves are the ones you can't hear.  Even then a "can" doesn't always reduce the "heard" noise enough to protect your hearing.

It's actually quite important when using a can to wear hearing protection.   In fact, you might want to double up (squishies as well as regular ears).

It's only going to be worse inside of something like a house.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Historian said:

Well, actually, some of the most dangerous sound waves are the ones you can't hear.  Even then a "can" doesn't always reduce the "heard" noise enough to protect your hearing.

It's actually quite important when using a can to wear hearing protection.   In fact, you might want to double up (squishies as well as regular ears).

It's only going to be worse inside of something like a house.

He probably never shot anything with a suppressor. Supersonic 5.56 is going to be loud. It has a high pitch and sharp report. The suppressor doesn't help the concussion that much either.

There are more distracting and disorienting things than sound when shooting indoors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

He probably never shot anything with a suppressor. Supersonic 5.56 is going to be loud. It has a high pitch and sharp report. The suppressor doesn't help the concussion that much either.

There are more distracting and disorienting things than sound when shooting indoors.

Very true about the 5.56 with a can on it.  Let alone what happens indoors.

Lots of compression.

• Like 1