Honey Badger Ammo

Swampfox762

I have been reading up on this ammo for a few weeks now.  Watching Vids, reading reviews, etc.  I have about decided to get a couple boxes in .45 for my daily carry.  It's called "Honey Badger" for a reason.  Google the vid, Nastya$$ Honey Badger, you'll see what I mean.  Careful....the vid has "language".....

Have any of you used any of this Ammo?  Or, do any of you carry this ammo?  If so, I'd appreciate your personal opinions on it.  It sure looks amazing, and at 1325 FPS  at 135 gr bullet, it's a screamer for a .45 And, the bullet doesn't even seem to deform after hitting Bone!  At present I carry Federal HST Hollow point.

Here's an article that pretty much sums up the Bullet.  Opinions???  Thanks.:D

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/the-black-hills-honey-badger-line-of-ammo/357523

Honey Badger.jpg

So a slightly modified Lehigh Extreme Penetrator bullet.  I carry the 10mm extreme penetrator in a backup mag for the G20, and as a backup magazine in my P7M8.  

At a buck and a half a round for the honey badger as opposed to 1.75 or so for the Underwood version, I'd say it looks decent.  

Some people consider them to be a gimmick type round, but at this point I don't think there are very many real world use reports out there to know for sure.  

• Like 2

The Phillips head ammo works spectacularly in ballistics Gel but I question whether it has AS dramatic an effect on flesh and bone. Also, when you exchange projectile mass for velocity it's a trade-off and not much is really gained. a 22-250 drives a 55 grain bullet at 3700 fps and a 45-70 drives 400 grain bullet at only about 1300 fps and the 22-250 actually produces more muzzle energy (1671 vs 1500) but which caliber would you rather use to hunt dangerous game?

The only Lehigh loads that I like are the ones that use a full weight projectile like the Underwood 90 grain Plus +P .380 Penetrator at 1200 fps or the 220 grain 44 spec which develops 1050 fps/ 539 ft lbs. Neither of these load trade projectile mass for velocity.

In the 45 Auto, I'd stick with the 230 grain HST. they expand consistently and make a really big hole and if the standard load isn't enough for you, you  always go with the 230 grain HST Plus+P load

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

Wouldn't that be almost the equivalent of ball ammo?  The penetration keeps on giving.  I don't want to give through the BG, into a grandma (they are younger here than you think), and into a great grand daughter (that is more common here than you think with 17-18 years making kids, who make kids about the same age and so forth).  I am just not seeing these tips for populated areas.  Now, sticks carry makes more sense.  In town carry, not so much.

• Like 1

There is a big different in 'Defender' type and 'Penetrator' type...yes, Lehigh, trying to sell their ammo but the 'testing'(I know) of 'Defender' seems very promising..the 'Penetrator' type does just that, (over?) penetrate. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+of+Lehigh+defender+vs+penetrator&view=detail&mid=8DD01D233757828B6B948DD01D233757828B6B94&FORM=VIRE

Yeah, that was pretty much my point.  You have the equivalent of a full metal jacket, just that it is shaped like a Philips head screw driver.  I do like his Freudian slip though, "Designed to fail-er function."  Also, unless you are shooting Rossie O'Donnell, or Michael Moore, that sucker is going to be a through and through.  Good for killing an BG in a rural situation, not so much urban situation, unless you are trying to take out as many people indiscriminately as possible.

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Please Moshe, your statement is so tempting.....maybe if I had terminal cancer I could go on a spree.......

I thought I did, because some quack thought I did.  I got a second opinion, before the registered child molesters started disappearing with long range bullet holes.

24 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I thought I did, because some quack thought I did.  I got a second opinion, before the registered child molesters started disappearing with long range bullet holes.

I was thinking mainly of Democrat politicians, but it's easy to confuse the two.

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

I was thinking mainly of Democrat politicians, but it's easy to confuse the two.

Last post as I get tired of political comments in the 'gun' section but the above is a great way to get a visit from the FBI...

Threatening other officials is a Class C or D felony, usually carrying maximum penalties of 5 or 10 years under 18 U.S.C. § 875, 18 U.S.C. § 876 and other statutes, that is investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation

8 minutes ago, usnret said:

Last post as I get tired of political comments in the 'gun' section but the above is a great way to get a visit from the FBI...

Dude it was a joke.  Duh.  You might need to use your brain for something other than keeping your skull from collapsing.  Surprised you lasted long enough to retire from the Navy, must have been a skimmer puke on shore duty.

If you don't like it you know what you can do.  

• 5 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:50 AM, usnret said:

There is a big different in 'Defender' type and 'Penetrator' type...yes, Lehigh, trying to sell their ammo but the 'testing'(I know) of 'Defender' seems very promising..the 'Penetrator' type does just that, (over?) penetrate. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+of+Lehigh+defender+vs+penetrator&view=detail&mid=8DD01D233757828B6B948DD01D233757828B6B94&FORM=VIRE

The way they decrease penetration with the solid copper Phillips-head bullets is by using a lighter-for-caliber projectile which has less mass and less sectional density but the end result is that it's a less powerful round. That's just like taking a .380 hollowpoint that expands too much and limits penetration, and reducing the velocity so that penetrate more and expand less. Better to increase velocity so that it both expands AND penetrates, which is exactly what Underwood has done with it's Plus+P 90 grain 1200 fps 380 load.

A better approach rather than using a lighter weight projectile to decrease penetration is to use a controlled expansion projectile that balances expansion with penetration and bullet weight and can use a projectile that has more mass but can be driven at a maximum velocity for it's weight. In 9mm, you have the 124 grain HST's both plus +P and standard velocity that are state of the art and have proved to work very well. Then there is the Hornady Plus+P critical duty that was adopted by the FBI as their duty round and like the Phillips-head ammo, is barrier blind but without the shortcomings of having to trade mass for velocity and having to rely on the "magic" of non-expanding fluted bullets creating a wound channel.

We already have defensive ammo that works very well. There is no need to re-invent the wheel all over again.

https://press.hornady.com/release/2018/04/26/hornady-awarded-fbi-9mmp-service-ammunition-contract/

Edited by Borg warner