All Airlines Temporarily Halted?

Moshe

I was watching the report on the News today, it was interesting how everyone was skirting the issue even the former Head of Transportation.  A wise man once told me, "You can fool the fans, but not the players."  So, this was no software glitch for all the major airlines.  They were just quietly preventing another 9/11 in the background.  It is interesting when they do that and try to come up with a non-plausible story/reasoning for it, and distribute to the media that way.  But, on the bright side, my wife will be flying out on me at the end of week for a short reunion at her Alma Mater.  So, I am happy to have been a player and not a fan, so I know that a lot of people are safer today, and don't even know it.  Especially the precious cargo that is transported (not in the luggage compartment) daily.

4 hours ago, Paul53 said:

My first thought was a computer crash somewhere in the Air Traffic Control system.

That is what most people thought.  That would have affected even small two engine private planes.

2 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Just saw a blurb about airlines grounded because of a computer problem, "Aerodata" does weight and balance stuff for them and compute don't compute.

Interesting thought, but when I saw the er-uh, um, from the former Head on Transportation who sounds like Kermit the Frog being very evasive, that clasped it right there.  Then the ambiguous government tweet.  When you have to be bored with D.C. brass invading and SAIC's, DSAIC's, AOIC's/FOD's/DFOD's/AFOD's that lie to you on a regular basis to cover up their misdeeds, missteps, you know the familiar cadence.  So, like I said, "You can fool the fans, but not the players."  Imagine what it would do to the economy/air industry if they came out and said triumphantly, "We just averted another 9/11 style attack, and have captured the terrorists involved."  That would be catastrophic, and counter intuitive to the goals set by Trump.  There are some bad people out there, who are having a very unpleasant day somewhere dark and painful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moshe said:

That is what most people thought.  That would have affected even small two engine private planes.

Not necessarily. Airlines fly high, fast, and far. Smaller planes don't have to depend on ATC. Depending on their routing and the airports they use, they might use uncontrolled smaller airports (no towers), don't have to file a flight plan, fly by visual flight rules below 10,000 feet. I did it when I was 16, just rubbernecking the Maine coast.

• Like 2

I have always been told by pilots that they must file a flight plan when leaving.  Also, it was one of those obscure Customs rules I had to learn when they decided to Customize Immigration and take us out of the Department of "Just Us" :)  You can get in big trouble, especially after 9/11 not filing a flight plan before flying out of a public hanger at an airport.  Do people do it?  Yes.  When they get caught do they get hammered?  Yes, they do.

Maybe the regulations have changed, but I can't see a flight plan needed for a training flight. I never dealt with customs. Since I stopped flying a transponder is now required in all aircraft above certain limits, gross weight I believe. Flying cross country, a flight plan was always encouraged, otherwise you might crash and nobody would know you were overdue. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you worked around international borders, and flight plans are required for all international flights, and first landing in the USA must have customs facilities.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

A flight plan is important because it shows rescue flights where to look.  

I worked in a prison in Southern NM. There was nothing but desert and dirt roads between us and Mexico. Occasionally a helicopter would fly very low from Mexico towards the brightly lit prison. They'd stop briefly a mile South of us, presumably making a delivery, then back to Mexico they went.

How tall will the wall be?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Maybe the regulations have changed, but I can't see a flight plan needed for a training flight. I never dealt with customs. Since I stopped flying a transponder is now required in all aircraft above certain limits, gross weight I believe. Flying cross country, a flight plan was always encouraged, otherwise you might crash and nobody would know you were overdue. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you worked around international borders, and flight plans are required for all international flights, and first landing in the USA must have customs facilities.

I had to respond to the airport a lot, often for good stuff, often not.  One that went all the way to the top and was considered classified at the time of the incident, all I could tell my wife is don't come my way today.  It ended up being some Russian Nationals with undeclared pyrotechnics for a show that looked very much like large explosive ordinance.  Everyone was told to put their raid vests and gear and be ready to respond as TSA found foreign agents with explosive ordinance.  After half a day it was sorted out.  But, nothing was moving in that airport until it was.

• Like 1