AARP. I guess they are on to me

jmohme

When I reached the age that AARP thought I was a good target for recruitment, they started sending me mail with enrollment forms and postage paid envelopes. 
I would just open them, stuff them with the envelope it came in and all the BS info pages and mail it back to them.
They kept coming so I bumped it up to also stuffing their supplied postage paid envelope with as much of that days junk mail as I could squeeze into it.
They still kept coming about once every month or two. So bumped it up again and would stuff the envelope mostly with gun adds from Sportsmans Guide or whatever other gun related catalogs I had laying around. I would stuff them so full that I had to add tape to the envelope to keep it from busting open.

I don't know if they actually figured me out, or just got cheap, but the last few solicitations that I got from them still had addressed envelope, but now require stamps.

Oh well, it was a fun run while it lasted!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jmohme said:

When I reached the age that AARP thought I was a good target for recruitment, they started sending me mail with enrollment forms and postage paid envelopes. 
I would just open them, stuff them with the envelope it came in and all the BS info pages and mail it back to them.
They kept coming so I bumped it up to also stuffing their supplied postage paid envelope with as much of that days junk mail as I could squeeze into it.
They still kept coming about once every month or two. So bumped it up again and would stuff the envelope mostly with gun adds from Sportsmans Guide or whatever other gun related catalogs I had laying around. I would stuff them so full that I had to add tape to the envelope to keep it from busting open.

I don't know if they actually figured me out, or just got cheap, but the last few solicitations that I got from them still had addressed envelope, but now require stamps.

Oh well, it was a fun run while it lasted!

If their political stances weren't enough to keep me away, the fact that they're so profligate with their spending would. I joined AMAC and they're pretty good, but I'm thinking of starting my own organization for Old Retired Guys - http://getoffamydamnlawn.org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Back in the seventies, one of our Physicists would complain all the time about trash mail including AARP.  Soon after he started complaining, he began to put crap in the self addressed return envelopes with the intent of costing them money in postage to pressure them to stop.

Eventually he went so far as to put tin can covers and later smashed metal cans into the envelopes.  He figured that since they were paying postage on weight also, this was his ultimate revenge.

One day he told me that one of the companies had complained to his Research Director about what he was doing, and our company told him to stop, or at least use the Post Office to return the mail instead of routing through our company mail.  Apparently it acquired some return address stamp from our company.

I really was fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

He figured that since they were paying postage on weight also, this was his ultimate revenge.

I ordered some clothes online (they weren't gayish!).  And the website didn't look gayish.  But the catalogs they started sending me left nothing to the imagination.  The cover made it very clear.  It was embarrassing to get it in the mailbox.  (I had young children!)

Every time I wrote or called to have the catalog cancelled,  they would double send it.  After a while I was getting dozens each month.

I finally started taking the pre-paid envelopes from the catalogs and sticking it to a brick that I had packed in a small box and mailing it to them.

Even after a dozen bricks,  I was still getting catalogs.

So I wrapped a brick, with their shipping envelope on it,  but used my address as the recipient.

Whenever I was out of state (multiple times each weekl),  I would mail the brick to myself.

It worked pretty fast.  They quit sending me stuff.

And the clothes weren't gayish!

Neither was I!

But,  I did look Fabulous!

• Haha 1