Aero Comes out with .460 Rowland

Moshe

For those who might care, they have the .460 Rowland in pistol and regular size.  For those that have the .460 in a Glock 21 format, it might make a nice addition.  The pistol could be SBR'ed, and canned.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, Moshe said:

For those who might care, they have the .460 Rowland in pistol and regular size.  For those that have the .460 in a Glock 21 format, it might make a nice addition.  The pistol could be SBR'ed, and canned.

As far as putting a suppressor on it> then you'd have to reduce the velocity considerably for it to run subsonic, wouldn't you? I have limited experience with suppressors and I'm not sure how much sound suppression you get with supersonic ammo.

Here's a link:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/2/23/new-for-2019-tnw-firearms-aero-survival-rifle-in-460-rowland/

9 hours ago, Moshe said:

It does impact velocity somewhat, but less with subsonic rounds.  I suspect they don't make subsonic .460, but it is LOUD.  Not quite AR-15 loud, but getting there.

The question would be how much sound suppression would there be with full power ammo? 460 Rowland operates at 40,000 Psi and drives a 230 grain bullet at 1400 fps.

There wouldn't be much point in subsonic 460 Rowland ammo because it would be the same as the standard 45 auto which is a better cartridge to try to suppress because even Plus +P ammo is subsonic and it's a low pressure round, 21,000 psi for standard ammo and just 23,000 for plus+P. And any semi-auto set up to run full power 460 would probably not function with the cartridge loaded down that much.

The loudest Handgun I've ever heard fired was a S&W 460 magnum and I was about 10 yards away and had ear protection on but it was insanely loud, much louder than an AR-15 being fired at that same range that same day. And the 460 S&W has a maximum chamber pressure of 65,000 PSI and I suspect chamber pressure might have as much, if not more to do with sound suppression as does velocity since all that lowering velocity to under 1000 fps does is eliminate the "Sonic Boom"

Edited by Borg warner

• 1 month later...