Milsurp rifles.

KBKEITH

I have two. A Canadian L1A1 (inch pattern FAL) and a Sako Mauser.

The L1A1 never had to be converted because it has always been semi-auto (what maroon would think a full auto rifle in 7.62x51 is a good idea).

The Sako is built on a WWII K98 receiver and bolt with virtually everything else replaced. The Sako is virtually identical to the Browning/FN Safari Grade rifle.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, G23c said:

I have a Tikka M39 that is a great shooter. from back in the day, all the prices all have jumped the last 10 years or so..

I have a Sako and VKT. The Sako I haven’t shot yet, but the VKT shoots very good. The M39 is a great rifle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I have a Sako and VKT. The Sako I haven’t shot yet, but the VKT shoots very good. The M39 is a great rifle.

Agreed, the difference between the M39's and the wartime 91/30's is significant. not jut the barrels, even just the stocks, Still some good 91/30 shooters.

• Like 2

I've had Mausers including 1938 Turk, BRNO, 1891 argentine, 7mm 1893 Spanish and a Siamese Mauser action that I wanted to build a 45-70 but never did. The one I always wanted was a Swedish Mauser. Also like the Spanish FR-8. I had a couple of SMLE's, a Mk 3 and a Mk4 Longbranch but always wanted a Jungle carbine. I regret selling my mk3. I like the 303 cartridge andwould have like to have had a P14. I've had Arisakas 6.5 and 7.7, and Mosins and my very first centerfire rifle that I bought in 1967 was an 8mm Steyr and it was a beater. I have one today that I bought for old time's sake and it's in like new condition.

I had an SKS but consider the AK a much better rifle except that you could never buy an AK in original condition because they were select fire. The only other Milsurp rifle I own today is a Greek Garand with a Boyd's stock that I refinished.

garand1 008.JPG

• Like 5

So many.  We are living in the golden age of milsurps.  Or at least we were.

In this order, of the ones I own

1917 Enfield

M1 Garand

Swiss K31

Chinese Norinco SKS

Not really a milsurp, but my replica of the 1861 Springfield musket.

Also a replica smooth bore northwest Trade Gun.

Own a WASR 10-its a bullet hose, not much else.

I also own  a Russian Mosin Nagant.  Its sort of meh to me, but lots of people love them. 

• Like 2

I cast and load for a number of MilSurps and am including a few photos of what the loads look like for  6.5 Swede, 303 Brit and 30-40 Krag. Cuts my cost dramatically increasing fun. I also cast and load for the 7.62X39 and 30-06. 

Swede Load.jpg

No4 Mk1 Load.jpg

Load bul.jpg

• Like 3

To be authentic and real, if I want to be like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, due to my accent, I should get myself the SVT 40.

"Get off my lawn" - with the Eastern European thick accent....and that long muzzle brake pointed at somebody's face.

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 1

M1A1 1944

I walked into the LGS and the owner said take a look in the back, we just got it on a trade. Usually I'm not that interested in military arms however the folding stock had an appeal plus the M1A1 was in good condition and the price was reasonable. 

24319953308_d5043c94b7_b.jpg

38172413781_bc82738718_b.jpg

24319949768_55fdd99bbf_b.jpg

24319951168_33d47f03cb_b.jpg

36905548433_058e29c9ac_b.jpg

37539803851_45ddae243e.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, jmax said:

I cast and load for a number of MilSurps and am including a few photos of what the loads look like for  6.5 Swede, 303 Brit and 30-40 Krag. Cuts my cost dramatically increasing fun. I also cast and load for the 7.62X39 and 30-06. 

Swede Load.jpg

No4 Mk1 Load.jpg

Load bul.jpg

JMax, what kind of lube are you using?  Are you using the pan method? 

On 7/22/2018 at 9:10 PM, norton said:

JMax, what kind of lube are you using?  Are you using the pan method? 

I have found that to get optimum accuracy the bullets need to be sized close the chamber throat diameter precluding pan lubing and I use Lyman moly for my 06 and Krag and am switching to that lube for all of my cast. I had used RCBS lube that came with one of the LAMs and some Lyman orange magic that was given to me. I am pushing my 06 over 1900 ft/sec w/o leading but I gas check all rifle loads. I use 3 RCBS LAM lube sizers and a very old Lyman 45 minimizing changing out sizing dies. My Krag and 06 bullets are sized to .311, my 5 groove 303 Brit .314, 7.62x39 .313 and the 6.5 is .268. 

Edited by jmax
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

800px-CBP_M14.jpg

At the time, I liked these.  Though they were used only for blanks.  I liked them in the sense, they were used for celebrate high functions.  I liked them less on the flip sides at funerals.  Looks like they are still using them long after my time, as we never had the goofy CBP patch during my time.  It looks like the Sam Brown belt and campaign hat survived the transition too.  But, I suspect that Is now just for formal.  The rank and file has gone to nylon.  The Bike patrol were the first to transition to nylon instead of leather.

• Like 2

By the mid-sixties, anything that hadn't been sporterized or wasn't a WWII bring-back souvenir was in totally beat to hell condition. But when I was in high school they were still way cheaper than any new rifle and all my friends had one. The ammo was cheap too, I had a Hungarian Steyr straight-pull, two of my friends had 8mm Mauser's, My brother had an 1895 7mm Mauser and another guy had a 7.7 Arisaka. All of these guns were beaters but some of them were fairly accurate.

Then sometime after 2000, Mil-surp rifles started becoming available that were in really nice condition. Persian Mauser's,  straight-pull Steyr's. 1891 Argentine Mauser's, and even some pretty nice 91/31 Moisn's and 91/59 carbines  that had been arsenal reconditioned, and the Finnish Mosin's were really nice. There were some Russian captured German Mauser's that were in good conditon, and there were some Swedish 1896 Mauser's in nice condition, too. There were also a bunch of Turkish Mauser's and some of them were in nice condition but others, sold through big 5 sporting goods stores were only in fair condition. There was also a lot of Turk 8mm ammo available and that was really some HOT ammo. Then there were a bunch of Ishapore SMLE's in 308 caliber and one importer started selling "Jungle carbine' versions of the same gun. Other great Mil-surp rifles chambered in 308 were Spanish FR8 Mauser's and the Israeli K98 Mauser's re-barreled to 308.

Around the same time another company, the Gibbs Rifle Company began converting SMLE's to 45-70 caliber which they called The Summit rifle. These sold for about $350 back in the early 2000's. I wish I had bought one but at the time money was tight. also available for a time wer the Swiss K31 straight-pull rifles. many of these rifles were available in very nice mechanical condition, but for some reason the stocks were beat up even though the bluing was good. these were very accurate rifles.

This was truly the golden age of Mil-surp rifles and it doesn't seem like all that long ago. I bought an sold a few different ones, and the only one I managed to hang onto was a Nice Hungarian Steyr M95 cavalry carbine for sentimental reasons, because that was the first centerfire rifle I ever owned and the one I have now is in like-new, unissued condition and even has a bayonet.

Here's what an 1895 M95 carbine looks like. the aammunition clip is not a stripper clip. it is an en-block clip tha tis ejected after the last round is fired. The 8x56R ammo is not really 8mm. The bullet diameter is .330 or 8.3mm. Bullet weight is 200 grains.

103b.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

My brother and I shared a Japanese Arasaki   7.7 when we were in our mid teens.  The Type 30  had been rechambered to 30-06 and .06' ammo was soo cheap. We did not know anything about bullet and bore diameters back then. The .308 in the .311 rifle was not likely that accurate. But the old Milsurp started two young  men on a life long  journey of firearms interest. 

1 hour ago, Dog Soldier said:

My brother and I shared a Japanese Arasaki   7.7 when we were in our mid teens.  The Type 30  had been rechambered to 30-06 and .06' ammo was soo cheap. We did not know anything about bullet and bore diameters back then. The .308 in the .311 rifle was not likely that accurate. But the old Milsurp started two young  men on a life long  journey of firearms interest. 

My brother had a couple of Arisakas.  They had very strong actions and he used to reload the 7.7 to 30-06 velocities. As I recall he got his first deer with a 7.7.  I always wanted a 6.5 Arisaka. The 6.5 Jap cartridge was ahead of it's time. It's case dimensions and ballistics were very similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The only thing wrong with the rifle was it's safety. very hard to manipulate and didn't always stay on "safe"

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

Yes, I have what the WWII Vets called the ".25 Jap" rifle. It of course was not a .257 but a .264 caliber. Many of the Arisaka  Type 38 20 " barreled carbine replaced the Murata 1880 rifle. Many of the Type 38 carbines were rechambered to then popular .257 Roberts?  This was not a good marriage but it was a deer rifle?? 

One of our family members a WWII vet passed a very nice Type 38 Carbine on to me. It is in perfect condition. The Chrysanthemum  Crest has been neatly removed. This says it was not a Battle Field PU weapon. American GIs post war occupying Japan were allowed one war souvenir with the Crest removed.  A Battle Field capture was allowed to own with the Crest. The Army had captured Japanese weapon stations located around Japan. 

This a Pic of the Type 38 and 2 battle field P/UIMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c4e5d31bc4c31e4292815d4db48af7b6.JPGs a Luger and a Nambu. The Type 38 carbine is point blank at 275 yds so it shoots high at 100 yds. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, I have what the WWII Vets called the ".25 Jap" rifle. It of course was not a .257 but a .264 caliber. Many of the Arisaka  Type 38 20 " barreled carbine replaced the Murata 1880 rifle. Many of the Type 38 carbines were rechambered to then popular .257 Roberts?  This was not a good marriage but it was a deer rifle?? 

One of our family members a WWII vet passed a very nice Type 38 Carbine on to me. It is in perfect condition. The Chrysanthemum  Crest has been neatly removed. This says it was not a Battle Field PU weapon. American GIs post war occupying Japan were allowed one war souvenir with the Crest removed.  A Battle Field capture was allowed to own with the Crest. The Army had captured Japanese weapon stations located around Japan. 

This a Pic of the Type 38 and 2 battle field P/UIMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c4e5d31bc4c31e4292815d4db48af7b6.JPGs a Luger and a Nambu. The Type 38 carbine is point blank at 275 yds so it shoots high at 100 yds. 

Beautiful rifle and pistols too. Ammo is available for that rifle.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/164

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/custom-ammo-6-5x50mm-japanese-arisaka-140gr-interlock-sp-prod96359.aspx

2 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Yes , the ammo is available from a number of sources. I am a dedicated hand loader so I have dies and bullets for the Carbine. It is a very mild and pleasant rifle to shoot. I would like to zero the sights but that would require damaging the original condition. So "No" on that!!!

• Like 1