Milsurp rifles.

KBKEITH

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, I have what the WWII Vets called the ".25 Jap" rifle. It of course was not a .257 but a .264 caliber. Many of the Arisaka  Type 38 20 " barreled carbine replaced the Murata 1880 rifle. Many of the Type 38 carbines were rechambered to then popular .257 Roberts?  This was not a good marriage but it was a deer rifle?? 

One of our family members a WWII vet passed a very nice Type 38 Carbine on to me. It is in perfect condition. The Chrysanthemum  Crest has been neatly removed. This says it was not a Battle Field PU weapon. American GIs post war occupying Japan were allowed one war souvenir with the Crest removed.  A Battle Field capture was allowed to own with the Crest. The Army had captured Japanese weapon stations located around Japan. 

This a Pic of the Type 38 and 2 battle field P/UIMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c4e5d31bc4c31e4292815d4db48af7b6.JPGs a Luger and a Nambu. The Type 38 carbine is point blank at 275 yds so it shoots high at 100 yds. 

Lugers I am not a fan of for obvious reasons.  However, the Nambu has often been referred to as the "suicide" pistol, as it would kill or injure the shooter more often than it would shoot.

47 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Lugers I am not a fan of for obvious reasons.  However, the Nambu has often been referred to as the "suicide" pistol, as it would kill or injure the shooter more often than it would shoot.

You are confusing the Nambu Type II 1902  with the Nambu Type 94 cicia 1929. The pistol pictured is a very nice Type II graded at $1,500 dollars. The Luger is a 1913 DWM sans the stock lugs. Many countries including the U.S. tested the Lugers. Most of our Euro Allies were issuing the Luger pistol which was replace by the Walther P 38 during the Nazi years. 

The Japanese Type 94 Nambu Pistol know as a "Suicide", pistol.  Current graded price on this Type 94 is $875 dollars. 

img_4517_5.jpg.d42cf2c04d87f1b70a061d8b03ac243f.jpg

30 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I remember the P-38, they seemed to be everywhere for sale for quite awhile.

Yes, they  were very popular post 1945. The Walther P-38 replaced the Luger in 1938 as the Reich Military Pistol. S&W Engineers used the P-38 to design the first American Semi-Auto. That was the S&W 39-9 , 9MM. The P-38 was adopted and made my other Nations. The German P-1/P-38 was the pistol of the German Border Guards.  The P-1 9MM 1985 with steel TD lever is a shooter. 

IMG_0610.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, I have what the WWII Vets called the ".25 Jap" rifle. It of course was not a .257 but a .264 caliber. Many of the Arisaka  Type 38 20 " barreled carbine replaced the Murata 1880 rifle. Many of the Type 38 carbines were rechambered to then popular .257 Roberts?  This was not a good marriage but it was a deer rifle?? 

One of our family members a WWII vet passed a very nice Type 38 Carbine on to me. It is in perfect condition. The Chrysanthemum  Crest has been neatly removed. This says it was not a Battle Field PU weapon. American GIs post war occupying Japan were allowed one war souvenir with the Crest removed.  A Battle Field capture was allowed to own with the Crest. The Army had captured Japanese weapon stations located around Japan. 

This a Pic of the Type 38 and 2 battle field P/UIMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c4e5d31bc4c31e4292815d4db48af7b6.JPGs a Luger and a Nambu. The Type 38 carbine is point blank at 275 yds so it shoots high at 100 yds. 

That is a stunning Type 38 Carbine. I have some 6.5 Jap from years ago when I had one of the rifles, and shot it pretty regularly. It’s a hell of a cartridge. Arguably the best 6.5 IMO. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My favorites are a H&R M-1 Garand (Converted to Match grade and rebarrelled to 7.62X51, and a Lithgow (Austrlian)! No.1 Mklll.

I had a WW1 .30 Luger that I loved dearly, but like most folks I had a period in my life when baby beds, washing machines and dryers, etc trumped guns.?

• Sad 1

1917 Eddystone Presentation rifle I'm fortunate enough to have. John A Topping was President of Republic Iron & Steel in PA during WW1. In August 1918 the Eddystone Plant held a banquet to commemorate One million rifles mfg'd (1917s), and rifles were given to some of the big-whigs related to Eddystone and production. 

image.jpeg