Milsurp rifles.

KBKEITH

Of the ones that you own which is your most favorite?

For me it's my Swiss K31. The craftsmanship of this rifle is outstanding. The design of the straight-pull action is unique. The trigger is unbelievable. It's very accurate. The GP11 7.5mm Swiss surplus ammo is beautiful. Made specifically for this rifle it is considered by some to be match grade. I just love this rifle and the ammo.

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5776.PNG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

• Like 6

I only have one.  A generic Chicom SKS from circa 1964 or so.  No mods or aftermarket anything on it.  

But the thing is pretty darn accurate even using the cheap steel cased stuff and the iron sights that came with it.   I have no concerns using this at 100 yards for deer.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wishoot said:

I only have one.  A generic Chicom SKS from circa 1964 or so.  No mods or aftermarket anything on it.  

But the thing is pretty darn accurate even using the cheap steel cased stuff and the iron sights that came with it.   I have no concerns using this at 100 yards for deer.  

I love my SKS rifles. I have a Chinese one that I bought back in 1991 when you could get them by the crateful at about 90-100 bucks each. My other is a Yugo model M59/66A1 that has the grenade launcher. Both shoot well.

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 9/12/2017 at 5:43 AM, KBKEITH said:

Of the ones that you own which is your most favorite?

For me it's my Swiss K31. The craftsmanship of this rifle is outstanding. The design of the straight-pull action is unique. The trigger is unbelievable. It's very accurate. The GP11 7.5mm Swiss surplus ammo is beautiful. Made specifically for this rifle it is considered by some to be match grade. I just love this rifle and the ammo.

IMG_5775.JPG

That is a beautiful rifle. The only old military rifle I have is an old Arisaka Model 99 bolt-action. I've had this thing since I was thirteen r so. It is fairly rough, but there are a lot of memories tied up in it. This isn't mine, but this is the model I have:

726_1.thumb.jpg.bf013daece5f6d8a06668fdd4b75f69a.jpg

726_4.thumb.jpg.74883d878fe18c31e00ec1203553870e.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Eric said:

That is a beautiful rifle. The only old military rifle I have is an old Arisaka Model 99 bolt-action. I've had this thing since I was thirteen r so. It is fairly rough, but there are a lot of memories tied up in it. This isn't mine, but this is the model I have:

726_1.thumb.jpg.bf013daece5f6d8a06668fdd4b75f69a.jpg

726_4.thumb.jpg.74883d878fe18c31e00ec1203553870e.jpg

That's a cool rifle, Eric. Do you ever get a chance to shoot it?

If only these old rifles could talk......

• Like 2

On 9/15/2017 at 1:55 PM, KBKEITH said:

I love my SKS rifles.  .... My other is a Yugo model M59/66A1 that has the grenade launcher. 

My only milsurp.

r3ujsKr.jpg

I've considered chopping it down, making it a bit more handy. There's a whole lot of unnecessary steel on the end of that barrel, beginning from the front sight/bayonet lug. Haven't done anything about it though - 'history,' resale value and etc. 

Looks more fun this way though. (not mine)

Edited by Grabbrass
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Grabbrass said:

My only milsurp.

r3ujsKr.jpg

I've considered chopping it down, making it a bit more handy. There's a whole lot of unnecessary steel on the end of that barrel, beginning from the front sight/bayonet lug. Haven't done anything about it though - 'history,' resale value and etc. 

Looks more fun this way though. (not mine)

Yep, your Yugo looks just like mine. I agree that there's too much crap at the end of the barrel. And much like you I will probably not remove any of it. Hell, you never know when we might need to launch some grenades.:)

I like how that guy modified his by cutting it down. It looks much more handy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KBKEITH said:

Yep, your Yugo looks just like mine. I agree that there's too much crap at the end of the barrel. And much like you I will probably not remove any of it. Hell, you never know when we might need to launch some grenades.:)

I like how that guy modified his by cutting it down. It looks much more handy.

Another reason to leave it alone, despite how cool it looks cut down ... the front sight housing he's using comes from bulletbutton.com and costs $61.00. Just a hunk 'o metal, but in a special shape. You can work the existing sight housing, machine off the bayo lug, etc, and refinish, but it's probably about $62.00 worth of PITA, if you know what I'm sayin'.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grabbrass said:

Another reason to leave it alone, despite how cool it looks cut down ... the front sight housing he's using comes from bulletbutton.com and costs $61.00. Just a hunk 'o metal, but in a special shape. You can work the existing sight housing, machine off the bayo lug, etc, and refinish, but it's probably about $62.00 worth of PITA, if you know what I'm sayin'.

PITA is right. Not worth it for me. I have my unfettered Chinese version that gets most time at the range anyway. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

My only military surplus weapon is an M1 Garand.

I always wanted a .303 Enfield and a Model 98 but never ended up getting either one.  

These guns were so plentiful and cheap when I was young, I feel kind of bad that I never purchased one back in the day. 

You made a fine choice for only having one. I would love to have a Garand but I never really had a good opportunity to do so. I could get one from Fulton Armory but they are pretty pricey.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KBKEITH said:

You made a fine choice for only having one. I would love to have a Garand but I never really had a good opportunity to do so. I could get one from Fulton Armory but they are pretty pricey.

A guy at work got a Garand through CMP and he sold me the one he had been competing with for $300.  The stock was even bedded.  This was twenty years ago.  One of my milsurp expert buddies said for that price, if it just cycles ammunition, it was a bargain.  

Later, it turned out his CMP rifle was really inaccurate.  I felt bad, but I never offered to swap again.  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I had a few but they got lost in a canoeing trip trying to cross the river in the rapids trying to get to the cabin.  Of those my favorites are two.....oops..., I meant were..  Both were 03A4's. 

• Like 1

I have two that come to mind. One is a minty 1917 Eddystone that was presented to one of the primary individuals responsible for supplying steel to the Eddystone plant to commemorate the one millionth rifle mfg. To be clear it isn't THE millionth rifle but rather one presented to commemorate that milestone at a banquet in Eddystone PA in Aug 1918. 

The other is a 1903A1 National Match rifle built on a 1942 mfg Remington receiver. Stunning wood, polished bolt, Lyman rec sight, SA 3-39 star-gauged bbl. While not 100% original as per Remington receiver, it is probably the nicest 1903 I've ever seen. 

Do do not have the rifles readily handy (they're locked away) or I'd post a pic.