Dune (2020) Has Started Filming

SC Tiger

Apparently the Dune remake has begun filming and has a helluva cast lineup:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/03/hans-zimmer-denis-villeneuve-dune-full-cast/

Pretty decent cast: - Poe Dameron, Aquaman, Thanos, Drax, Ilsa Faust (at least two MI movies), Anton Chigurh (the BG with strange hair from "No Country For Old Men"), and Dr. Eric Selvig (dude who called Thor a roid-head).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Edited by SC Tiger

Dune is a difficult book series to make into a movie. Lots of history and character development.

Dune lovers will be disappointed and newbies will be confused.

Lord of the Rings took three movies and close to nine hours to do, and fans still criticized it for not following the books close enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Dune is a difficult book series to make into a movie. Lots of history and character development.

Dune lovers will be disappointed and newbies will be confused.

Lord of the Rings took three movies and close to nine hours to do, and fans still criticized it for not following the books close enough.

Theaters were handing out cheat sheets for the 1980s movie.

• Like 2

No matter how good the participants, it still remains to the Director to create the story. 

In the movie Dune, I don't believe that the Director had any real knowledge of what he was doing, and probably couldn't figure out the nuances comprising the story.  He just made a special effects film of disjointed events and scenes.  Nothing in the screen presentation held that story together. 

I have little hope for a remake, since it takes insight of the genre to produce the involvement with the audience.  Busby Berkley made spectacular scenes for movies that while interesting in themselves, had no story to tell of their own.  Special effects are not the story, they are simply ingredients of the story telling process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

No matter how good the participants, it still remains to the Director to create the story. 

In the movie Dune, I don't believe that the Director had any real knowledge of what he was doing, and probably couldn't figure out the nuances comprising the story.  He just made a special effects film of disjointed events and scenes.  Nothing in the screen presentation held that story together. 

I have little hope for a remake, since it takes insight of the genre to produce the involvement with the audience.  Busby Berkley made spectacular scenes for movies that while interesting in themselves, had no story to tell of their own.  Special effects are not the story, they are simply ingredients of the story telling process.

Yep. Those who read the book (or LOTR, for that matter) created a vivid movie in our heads that's hard to match. Jackson's LOTR was pretty good at matching the book (as was Lonesome Dove), but it's a tough job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

He fell off a building, was shot by Tom Selleck, then died of a stroke years later.  Somewhere in there Kevin Costner stabbed him with a sword.

Tough SOB, I'll give him that.

Magnum didn't really kill him. He just retired and another in a series of Hans's took his place.

8 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Christ. There's nine hours if my life I'll never get back. I'd rather nail my testicles to the roof and jump off, then pour turpentine on the open wound than sit through that crap again. I'd like to give Peter Jackson 10,000 paper cuts and then push him into a pool full of lemon juice for making that ****. Friggin' walking dick with ears.

Edited by KWalrad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Christ. There's nine hours if my life I'll never get back. I'd rather nail my testicles to the roof and jump off, then pour turpentine on the open wound than sit through that crap again. I'd like to give Peter Jackson 10,000 paper cuts and then push him into a pool full of lemon juice for making that ****. Friggin' walking dick with ears.

Don’t hold back, tell us what you really think

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I loved the first few books, hated the 1985 movie and liked the 2000 mini series a lot. I doubt I will see this movie as the story is a lot to cram in 2 or 3 hours and I have no doubt that at least one of the main cast will preach about White privilege, Black oppression or some other BS between now and the movie release. I don't care if celebrities vote different than I do but the level of virtue signaling and general happy horse **** that many engage in now is more than I care to support.

Edited by G26S239
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's just me, but why - when the original movie was really well done by excellent actors - does Hollywood feel they have to remake the movie.  From my point of view, so many movies have been remade only to utterly fail in being any ware as good as the original movie.  What happened to all the writers in Hollywood?  They seem unable to come up with anything new that is worthwhile. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Citra47 said:

Maybe it's just me, but why - when the original movie was really well done by excellent actors - does Hollywood feel they have to remake the movie.  From my point of view, so many movies have been remade only to utterly fail in being any ware as good as the original movie.  What happened to all the writers in Hollywood?  They seem unable to come up with anything new that is worthwhile. 

Because people will pay to see it. Look at the Star Wars franchise. What, two, maybe three good movies followed by an endless stream of steaming piles. And every one of them made money. Same for the Trek crap. As long as it has loud effects people will pay to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Because people will pay to see it. Look at the Star Wars franchise. What, two, maybe three good movies followed by an endless stream of steaming piles. And every one of them made money. Same for the Trek crap. As long as it has loud effects people will pay to see it.

Obviously some people will may to see the new/old movies.  I'm not one of them. I have never seen a remake as good as an original movie. Now I watch Amazon Prime Video and NETFLIX with an occasional sip of Jack Daniel's.

As others have expressed, I am not a big fan of remaking movies, especially if the only reason is to get an African or female actor to play the role previously performed by a white male.

Is Denzel Washington going to re-do every role ever performed by a white guy?

However, I am hard pressed to choose a favorite between Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) with  Charles Laughton and Clark Gable or Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) with Trevor Howard and Marlon Brando.

The Bounty with Mel Gibson was interesting, but not to the level of the previous two.

So, remakes can be good, but again, as others have mentioned, contemporary movies are just brief vignettes that hint at character and plot connected by gee-whiz CGI anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tous said:

As others have expressed, I am not a big fan of remaking movies, especially if the only reason is to get an African or female actor to play the role previously performed by a white male.

Is Denzel Washington going to re-do every role ever performed by a white guy?

Man on fire was a worthy remake, but both film versions miss something.  The Scott Glenn version basically tried to show him getting by on pure will.  The Denzel version brought more phsyicality. But both lacked something that the book conveyed.  In the book Creasey goes after every single person responsible for the crime, up the criminal hierarchy.  In the end he is going after the boss of bosses of the mafia.  People are cheering him on because he is doing something the authorities can't or refuse to do about crime.  Of the 3 versions of the story there is still room for the best version.  Kind of like the Song Demolition Man, there is just something lacking in every version I have heard.  The ultimate version can still be made.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

Man on fire was a worthy remake, but both film versions miss something.  The Scott Glenn version basically tried to show him getting by on pure will.  The Denzel version brought more phsyicality. But both lacked something that the book conveyed.  In the book Creasey goes after every single person responsible for the crime, up the criminal hierarchy.  In the end he is going after the boss of bosses of the mafia.  People are cheering him on because he is doing something the authorities can't or refuse to do about crime.  Of the 3 versions of the story there is still room for the best version.  Kind of like the Song Demolition Man, there is just something lacking in every version I have heard.  The ultimate version can still be made.

Agreed. The book was much better than either movie.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KWalrad said:

what if i buy the popcorn?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KWalrad said:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

what if i buy the popcorn?

Well... I do like my popcorn.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a red-hot poker shoved up my ass than sit through those movies again.

I did enjoy the books as a wee lad though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KWalrad said:

Christ. There's nine hours if my life I'll never get back. I'd rather nail my testicles to the roof and jump off, then pour turpentine on the open wound than sit through that crap again.

Didn't SteveO already do that stunt?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1