Need Help with G30S Failures to Feed

Maccabeus

I thought about asking at TOS, but I'm going to trust you guys to come through for me and hopefully avoid the thread derails and pointless attempts at humor (like I usually try to contribute) that comes from a more trafficked site.

I've owned and operated a G30S for about 6 years.  Range trips would include a mag or two of Golden Saber 230gr and 50-100 rounds of whatever FMJ was cheap.  No problems for 5 years.  About a year ago, I bought some Underwood hard cast for carrying while hiking.  I had a failure to feed about every 5 rounds.  I assumed it just didn't like that ammo.

A few months later, I ran out of Golden Saber and switched to Ranger T 230gr +P that I had picked up in volume on sale.  I initially put ~100 rounds through it with no problem.  

Fast forward to maybe 6 months ago.  Now the Ranger ammo is giving FTF jams almost 1/magazine.  FMJ was running fine.  So, I start thinking it doesn't like the Ranger or I have mag spring issues.

I replaced all the springs in my 9 rnd and 13 rnd mags.  (No changes to my 10 rnd mags, since I never carry any of those).  Still getting failures to feed in all three magazine sizes.

So, I ordered a new guide rod.  Most recent trip:  FTF's not only continue, some FMJs are jamming, too.  Here's a few samples from this last outing (sorry for the focus issues):

1248505544_IMG_20190222_151632120(2).jpg.05dcc2974869ad7eb6da65c04fd7b360.jpg

20670334_IMG_20190129_151843621(2).jpg.fc54b16421b4aa4c3e75d601f6a35511.jpg

1248505544_IMG_20190222_151632120(2).jpg.05dcc2974869ad7eb6da65c04fd7b360.jpg

2083300366_IMG_20190222_151800177(2).jpg.0a46a68e07f2120a12bbaa016a0130de.jpg

What am I dealing with here?

It's not magazine springs.  It's not the recoil spring.  I don't believe I'm limp-wristing as I've been shooting this pistol successfully for years and on the same range trips with this problem occurring, I'm having no problems at all with my G26.3, G43, and, most recently, my new M&P 2.0 Compact .40 & P365, which are all firing fine. (And, I've always thought of limp-wristing as a stove-pipe inducing problem rather than producing FTFs).

So.....…….?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_20190222_151322998 (2).jpg

Edited by Maccabeus

I'll take a closer look at the magazines, but I hadn't noticed anything glaringly obvious.  The trouble also seemed to be happening across the 9 or 10 magazines I have. 

I've never gone beyond a basic field strip and cleaning with my Glocks. I guess I'll need to YouTube a couple videos before tinkering with the extractor.

Worse case scenario, I'll keep it locked away another couple months and try to get to Smyrna for a check-up when I next head over to ATL.

Thanks for the comments so far.

So all the magazine were not purchased at the same time?   It couldn't be you have the magazine spring upside down?   That can cause the follower to...do exactly what we are seeing.

Bullet profile can do it.  Those look like Gold Dot or some similar hollow point.

Does it have the problem with FMJ?

• Like 1

I have had the same problem with Underwood with 10mm.  It turned the pistol into a jam-o-matic.  People might giggle, or poke fun, but after that incident I used Double Tap, without any failure to feed.  I bought my one and only box of Underwood years ago, and haven't had a problem since.  So, there you go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

So all the magazine were not purchased at the same time?   It couldn't be you have the magazine spring upside down?   That can cause the follower to...do exactly what we are seeing.

Bullet profile can do it.  Those look like Gold Dot or some similar hollow point.

Does it have the problem with FMJ?

Yes, not all mags are the same age. Some came with the pistol when I bought it used 6 yesterday ago.  Others were purchased new thereafter to have a few more on hand.

If I have a spring upside down or backwards, then they are all wrong, because they all look the same. Here are some representative samples:

IMG_20190313_132727249_HDR.thumb.jpg.51e47dd6499e6f406ec9a78af12c702c.jpg

Here are the magazine tops, with and without flash, in case it captures different details:

IMG_20190313_132229606_HDR.thumb.jpg.f96ff63691c114062cd701a11c117aaa.jpgIMG_20190313_132240175.thumb.jpg.e1a990d3b304b285b18d2a6a952734c2.jpg

And, yes, it has also happened with FMJ, although, not as frequently.

At this stage it could be a couple of things and I'd replace a few parts at a time until you fix it.

How many rounds on the gun and is the main spring the one that came with the pistol?  If it has over 20,000 rounds i'd replace it with a standard Glock 30 spring.

You could be slightly out of battery.

After that i would consider looking at the extractor and replacing the spring and the extractor.  Just on the off chance it's slightly bent.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Historian said:

At this stage it could be a couple of things and I'd replace a few parts at a time until you fix it.

How many rounds on the gun and is the main spring the one that came with the pistol?  If it has over 20,000 rounds i'd replace it with a standard Glock 30 spring.

You could be slightly out of battery.

After that i would consider looking at the extractor and replacing the spring and the extractor.  Just on the off chance it's slightly bent.

I've probably put less than 3000 rounds through it, but I don't know how many the first owner did (although it seemed close to pristine when I bought it).

By "main spring" (that makes me think of revolvers), do you mean the recoil spring assembly?  That's what I just changed most recently.  When that didn't help, I posted here.

I guess, the extractor & its spring sound like the next most likely culprits based on the various comments so far.

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

I've probably put less than 3000 rounds through it, but I don't know how many the first owner did (although it seemed close to pristine when I bought it).

By "main spring" (that makes me think of revolvers), do you mean the recoil spring assembly?  That's what I just changed most recently.  When that didn't help, I posted here.

I guess, the extractor & its spring sound like the next most likely culprits based on the various comments so far.

Yep. I meant recoil spring. Sorry about that.

My bet is its the extractor.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, Moshe said:

I have had the same problem with Underwood with 10mm.  It turned the pistol into a jam-o-matic.  People might giggle, or poke fun, but after that incident I used Double Tap, without any failure to feed.  I bought my one and only box of Underwood years ago, and haven't had a problem since.  So, there you go.

I use Underwood 10mm in my G20 almost exclusively with no issues. I haven't tried Double Tap yet.

Have you detail stripped and cleaned you G30? If not, that would be the next step I would take. When I had FTFs in my G19, did a complete strip down and found the extractor so jammed up with carbon that it took some doing just to get it out. I think that was what was causing  my problems.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Collim1 said:

Any luck yet?  

I would replace the extractor, and the extractor rod/spring, and the recoil spring. Shouldn’t be too expensive. 

No, it's become a bit of a back burner project. 

Life and work have been busy and I have my newish and functional M&P 2.0 Compact .40 filling in as my nightstand gun while the G30 is acting up.

I'll be heading to Atlanta in a month or so, and I'm toying with just taking it to Smyrna and letting them give it an overhaul.

Thanks for inquiring.  ?

11 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

No, it's become a bit of a back burner project. 

Life and work have been busy and I have my newish and functional M&P 2.0 Compact .40 filling in as my nightstand gun while the G30 is acting up.

I'll be heading to Atlanta in a month or so, and I'm toying with just taking it to Smyrna and letting them give it an overhaul.

Thanks for inquiring.  ?

Thats an excellent plan!

I sent one to them a year or two ago. I sent it in a cardboard box with 3 magazines, I got it back in an OEM Glock plastic case, new mags and all new internals.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1