Worth it to reload 9mm? Nope...

PNWguy

I currently reload for four calibers: .45-70 Govt, .45 Colt, 10mm, and .40 S&W.  I do so for cost reasons and accuracy due to using all but the .45 Colt in matches.

I just bought a G19 for GSSF matches.  I typically only shoot 100 rounds per match.  With cheap decent 9mm running around $10 for 50, that's $20 of ammo per match.

Since I am not set up for 9mm, I would have to buy the dies for about $40.  If I wanted to cast my own bullets, then I would also have to buy a mold, and then a sizer.  I'd be in it for about $150.  Or about 6 months of match ammo.

I currently use Hornady XTPs since my local WalMart stocks them for about $.20 a bullet.  With powder, re-using cases about 6 times, and primer, each round of 10mm costs me about $.30.  Or, $30 to shoot a match.  If I bought off the shelf 10mm, it would cost me about $55 using the cheapest 10mm I can find locally. 

Reloading 9mm wouldn't be that much cheaper at around $.25 a round.  So, If I buy WWB in 9mm from my local WalMart, it is $37.86 for a 200 round pack.  That is $18.93 per match.  Reloading 9mm it would cost me $25 per match.

Wow!  Definitely cheaper to buy cheap ammo from WalMart.

But, with 9mm, assuming I can re-use the cases indefinitely and collect once-fired brass from the range, then that reduces the cost per round to roughly $.15, or $15 per match.  A savings of about $4.  Not counting the three hours it takes me to create a batch of match rounds due to my single-stage press and OCD issues when reloading...

Looks like I will NOT be reloading 9mm...

If I wanted to cast my own bullets, then I would also have to buy a mold, and then a sizer.  I'd be in it for about $150.  Or about 6 months of match ammo.

A Lee 6 cav mold, handles and push through sizer would set you back around $60.  Less if you went with the Lee 2 cavity mold.

With powder, re-using cases about 6 times, and primer, each round of 10mm costs me about $.30.

IIRC, GSSF matches are lost brass matches (unless you help with the range).   Not sure I would toss 10mm brass so easily!

• Like 3

over the log haul, cost effective.

9mm brass everywhere.

when the next progressive politician is elected POTUS, and shortages/high prices happen, you will be safer if you have loaded and stockpiled.

i shoot primarily 9mm, 10mm and 223.

have processed several thousand rounds of 223 brass for loading. not big right now because we have DJT in the white house and a new justice in SCOTUS.

this can change with one election. be a boy scout, be prepared.

i WILL have a setup for and be loading 223 before it becomes a necessity. i will also buy 223 while it is relatively inexpensive.

my thought also is i enjoy reloading as much as shooting. an excellent hobby, with results that pays off in THE LONG RUN.

the result is not as much cost savings, because i get to shoot more often, for less, it evens out.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I currently reload for four calibers: .45-70 Govt, .45 Colt, 10mm, and .40 S&W.  I do so for cost reasons and accuracy due to using all but the .45 Colt in matches.

I just bought a G19 for GSSF matches.  I typically only shoot 100 rounds per match.  With cheap decent 9mm running around $10 for 50, that's $20 of ammo per match.

Since I am not set up for 9mm, I would have to buy the dies for about $40.  If I wanted to cast my own bullets, then I would also have to buy a mold, and then a sizer.  I'd be in it for about $150.  Or about 6 months of match ammo.

I currently use Hornady XTPs since my local WalMart stocks them for about $.20 a bullet.  With powder, re-using cases about 6 times, and primer, each round of 10mm costs me about $.30.  Or, $30 to shoot a match.  If I bought off the shelf 10mm, it would cost me about $55 using the cheapest 10mm I can find locally. 

Reloading 9mm wouldn't be that much cheaper at around $.25 a round.  So, If I buy WWB in 9mm from my local WalMart, it is $37.86 for a 200 round pack.  That is $18.93 per match.  Reloading 9mm it would cost me $25 per match.

Wow!  Definitely cheaper to buy cheap ammo from WalMart.

But, with 9mm, assuming I can re-use the cases indefinitely and collect once-fired brass from the range, then that reduces the cost per round to roughly $.15, or $15 per match.  A savings of about $4.  Not counting the three hours it takes me to create a batch of match rounds due to my single-stage press and OCD issues when reloading...

Looks like I will NOT be reloading 9mm...

I find reloading relaxing (although I'd never reload Pistol on a single stage, that would get old very quickly)..   You're talking about match ammo... of course that would take longer... I guarantee what you buy at Wal Mart is not going to be "match quality"... that will be much more.  Wal Mart ammo is more for plinking (at best).

I run our 9mm plinkers on my 650, and typically do about 600rds w/ little effort in an hour (of course, that's with a considerable cost over a single stage).. I can knock out enough ammo for 2 in about an hour.  Personally for me, the key is having a supply of completed rounds on hand at all times.. that way when we want to go shooting, I can just go grab a few boxes, and go... If I say, "Oh, I don't have any ammo, so I'll need to reload some first"... it becomes to much like work, and less like a hobby

When we go shooting, brass gets picked up, come home it goes in the tumbler and cleaned, then inspected and put into ziplock bags.... When I feel like reloading, I go load them up and have them ready for next time.  I do this for 9 and 40, as that is what we shoot most.

Edited by IndyGunFreak
clarity
  • Like 2

I enjoy reloading, but cranking out more than a hundred rounds in one sitting is pretty taxing on a single stage.  Plus, I'm still in the development stage of reloading; I'm still narrowing down the best loads for various firearms and their different barrels.  I did find a stout woods load for my 10mm and the KKM barrel and cranked out 100 rounds of that the other day for stockpiling; 7.1grs of WSF behind a 190gr RCBS lead bullet.  Just cast another batch of 100 190gr cast bullets for 10mm/.40 for future use on Saturday.

10 hours ago, IndyGunFreak said:

I guarantee what you buy at Wal Mart is not going to be "match quality"... that will be much more.  Wal Mart ammo is more for plinking (at best).

Some of that stuff is great for malfunction drills!  :anim_lol:

Edited by dudel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was cleaning out my basement Sunday and found 2000 9mm 124gr FMJ and 1000 .45 230gr FMJ Zero bullets I had forgotten about. I have enough old stock like that to last the rest of my life. It costs me about a dime to load .45ACP and 9 cents for 9mm, and I can do 100 in about 15 minutes of my 550. 

So yes, it's worth it for me. :)

• Like 3

I live in Kommiefornistan so I bet it's worth reloading here. Our most wisest Demo-crack leaders passed a law that will make it illegal starting with Jan 1st 2018 to buy ammo without passing a background check first. You also are prohibited to buy ammo buy by mail order, or to give ammo to anybody outside your close family - children or wife.

Let this be a warning for the rest of American people: this is what happens when when illegal immigrants are voting in the millions without fear of being prosecuted and Democrats are becoming the Party-State

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I reload with plated bullets for about 14 cents a round for 9 mm.  The cost savings is not great, but I have better quality control than the cheapest brands with which the price is competitive.  If you don't enjoy reloading it probably isn't worth it.  If it's a hobby in itself, you might consider it time well spent.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave in and bought the 9mm dies and worked up four different loads to try.  None were able to beat the cheap stuff in terms of grouping.  But, all I tried were 115gr Hornady bullets at lower levels.  I can't buy 124gr or 147gr bullets off the shelf within 40 miles of me, so I would have to buy online.  The attraction was being able to buy whatever I needed at WalMart like I do for my 10mm and .40 S&W.  180gr Hornady XTPs or my own cast bullets work the best.  Going to try some hotter 115gr loads and will order some 124gr bullets from Midway.

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2017 at 10:17 PM, PNWguy said:

I gave in and bought the 9mm dies and worked up four different loads to try.  None were able to beat the cheap stuff in terms of grouping.  But, all I tried were 115gr Hornady bullets at lower levels.  I can't buy 124gr or 147gr bullets off the shelf within 40 miles of me, so I would have to buy online.  The attraction was being able to buy whatever I needed at WalMart like I do for my 10mm and .40 S&W.  180gr Hornady XTPs or my own cast bullets work the best.  Going to try some hotter 115gr loads and will order some 124gr bullets from Midway.

You're likely to get much better pricing buying bullets in bulk online vs 100 at a time from Walmart or any name brand bullets from Midway.  

For jacketed bullets, look at Precision Delta, Zero (rozedist.com), or TJ Conevera.  

For coated bullets, see https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/coated-bullet-sources-any-chance-we-can-sticky-this.1660507/

• Like 1

Also you might want to look at bullets.com. Their plated bullets are reasonably priced and you can load practice/competition loads for about 14 cents a bullet.

I used to use Roze 147gr bthp for my +P bowling pin load and they were extremely accurate and effective. After the great Obamammo shortage Roze became impossible to acquire and I stopped looking.

If I only had a Single stage press I probably wouldn't load 9 either. With a progressive it makes more sense but I suppose it depends on if you love reloading or if it is a necessary chore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, IndyGunFreak said:

I find reloading relaxing (although I'd never reload Pistol on a single stage, that would get old very quickly)..   You're talking about match ammo... of course that would take longer... I guarantee what you buy at Wal Mart is not going to be "match quality"... that will be much more.  Wal Mart ammo is more for plinking (at best).

I run our 9mm plinkers on my 650, and typically do about 600rds w/ little effort in an hour (of course, that's with a considerable cost over a single stage).. I can knock out enough ammo for 2 in about an hour.  Personally for me, the key is having a supply of completed rounds on hand at all times.. that way when we want to go shooting, I can just go grab a few boxes, and go... If I say, "Oh, I don't have any ammo, so I'll need to reload some first"... it becomes to much like work, and less like a hobby

When we go shooting, brass gets picked up, come home it goes in the tumbler and cleaned, then inspected and put into ziplock bags.... When I feel like reloading, I go load them up and have them ready for next time.  I do this for 9 and 40, as that is what we shoot most.

My experience is about the same. I enjoy the process, so it’s never a chore and I almost always have 9mm ready for a match. I don’t shoot 9mm that often, but if I do it’s the wife and I so that’s a good bit of ammo. 

I have a set of 650’s, one set for large primers, one for small. Tools heads are all set up so it’s minutes at most to swap to any caliber and knock out some of what you want with no issues. Low stress. 

During all the “shortages” and price gouging I was never in a bad spot. 

Yes you can buy cheap 9mm but I think from a hobby standpoint the cost is irrelevant. At least to me the few pennies eithier way don’t matter. The important part is what makes you happy. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, N2extrm said:

My experience is about the same. I enjoy the process, so it’s never a chore and I almost always have 9mm ready for a match. I don’t shoot 9mm that often, but if I do it’s the wife and I so that’s a good bit of ammo. 

I have a set of 650’s, one set for large primers, one for small. Tools heads are all set up so it’s minutes at most to swap to any caliber and knock out some of what you want with no issues. Low stress. 

During all the “shortages” and price gouging I was never in a bad spot. 

Yes you can buy cheap 9mm but I think from a hobby standpoint the cost is irrelevant. At least to me the few pennies eithier way don’t matter. The important part is what makes you happy. 

Only time I went low, was during the powder "shortage".. I never ran out, but had to allocate properly.  I learned from the primer shortage.. that will never happen again.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 2:35 PM, tigermuskie said:

Tulammo $8.27 A box after tax at WM. For My needs no reason to reload 9mm anymore.

While I don't reload to save money, it is my passion, I currently load quality as well as hot 9mm loads with new quality brass cases from Starline for $6.08 a box. Not having to feed my loved guns Tula crap cases is another bonus. I won't even get into cycling issues with Tula. Didn't want that stuff for free.

Image2.png

• Like 1

I paid for a 550B in ten months reloading 9 mm(shot a lot). It was more worthwhile when Obama was president, but over the long haul it will definitely pay for itself.]

If you want to get really cheap look into a 90-ish grain mold and get into casting and powder coating.

2 hours ago, crockett said:

While I don't reload to save money, it is my passion, I currently load quality as well as hot 9mm loads with new quality brass cases from Starline for $6.08 a box. Not having to feed my loved guns Tula crap cases is another bonus. I won't even get into cycling issues with Tula. Didn't want that stuff for free.

Image2.png

and considering I have more 9mm brass than I'll probably ever need... I'm always under $6 on 9mm

• Like 1

I have been reloading and casting for decades. I don't cast handgun bullets any more as the volume is a bit too high but I cast and shoot 5,000+ rounds of CF rifle a year and my cost per round is around a dime per. Factory ammunition for 30-40 Krag, 6.5 Swede and 303 Britt make those calibers prohibitive and 30-06 just too expensive. Hence I cast and reload those calibers along with a number of HG calibers including 9mm on two Dillon 550s and a Redding T-7 for rifle case prep. I even reload 223 and 7.62X39 to give me my desired performance down range. 

It all comes down to volume and once you get a 9mm PCC reloading becomes almost manditory.

Not for me. I usually buy bulk reman 9mm from Freedom Munitions when I can catch them offering free shipping, which they seem to do 1-2 times per year. I've always had good luck with it. Occasionally I'll buy bulk from SGAmmo as well. 

I mostly reload .38 Spl and .45ACP but occasionally load .357 Mag, .38 Super, .44 Spl and .44 Magnum as they're simply pricier to buy as it is. Only rifle cartridge I really reload for anymore is .243 Win. 

I only reload 9 mm and 22-250. I have found that for ME I buy my bullets at Bass Pro. I have checked out numerous sites and I have found Berry's 124 gn. RN for $26. something for 250 rds. is about the best I can find. Once you add in shipping it's not worth it to buy from anybody else. They even have given me a gold card membership thinggy which has given me at times half off of the cost of the Berry's bullets. How do you pass up that, you can't beat it.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.