Completely Jonesing For A Corvette

M&P15T

I'm an idiot. Pure and simple, a complete and utter idiot. 

I can't sleep, I'm consumed with lust. I joined a Corvette forum, and have been ignoring my Mustang forum. I'm asking all the noob questions, and getting great answers.

Seriously, I gotta stop this. My current car is 100%, perfect, no need to replace it. But damn.......the thought of removing the roof panel and driving, the car hunkered down to the road, the sun & wind, the torque from that LT1 engine, the very focused type of car they are.

The 2020 Corvette is all-new, mid-engined. So the prices on the 2014-2019 C7 Corvettes should drop quite a bit when it's release. Even right now, $50K can buy a prime 2LT Z51 car. 

I need to stop this......I'm completely addicted to cars. It's a sickness that I need to get past, it's costing too much money.

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

I'm an idiot. Pure and simple, a complete and utter idiot. 

We knew that.

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

I can't sleep, I'm consumed with lust. I joined a Corvette forum, and have been ignoring my Mustang forum. I'm asking all the noob questions, and getting great answers.

Sounds like you might need something other than the corvette.  :anim_lol: There is a chick in Thailand who's dad is offering $314K US to marry her - and she's not bad looking either.  Might solve multiple problems.  :anim_rofl2:

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

Seriously, I gotta stop this. My current car is 100%, perfect, no need to replace it. But damn.......the thought of removing the roof panel and driving, the car hunkered down to the road, the sun & wind, the torque from that LT1 engine, the very focused type of car they are.

It's a Ford, isn't it?  From what I'm told on Fords, if you think they are perfect, just wait ten minutes for something to break (not that GM is much better). :anim_rofl2:

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

The 2020 Corvette is all-new, mid-engined. So the prices on the 2014-2019 C7 Corvettes should drop quite a bit when it's release. Even right now, $50K can buy a prime 2LT Z51 car. 

I need to stop this......I'm completely addicted to cars. It's a sickness that I need to get past, it's costing too much money.

Seriously - may want to research those Corvettes.  Crockett was an insufferable ass from time to time but he did detail some bad experiences with his.  But he raced the **** out of it too.  Have pictures of the new mid-engine Vette come out yet?

6 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Seriously - may want to research those Corvettes.  Crockett was an insufferable ass from time to time but he did detail some bad experiences with his.  But he raced the **** out of it too.  Have pictures of the new mid-engine Vette come out yet?

Ooooh, I've been researching. I joined the big Corvette forum, been getting all the info.

Here's that forum's section on the C8, with all the current know info. No pics yet, but supposedly auto-only, no manual trans option.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/

ETA; going mid-engine sounds like a massive mistake. Increased costs of maintenance, won't appeal to those that like to work on their own vehicles. And I can't imagine there will be much of a performance benefit, as the current car has a 50/50 weight distribution.

Edited by M&P15T

19 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Ooooh, I've been researching. I joined the big Corvette forum, been getting all the info.

Here's that forum's section on the C8, with all the current know info. No pics yet, but supposedly auto-only, no manual trans option.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/

ETA; going mid-engine sounds like a massive mistake. Increased costs of maintenance, won't appeal to those that like to work on their own vehicles. And I can't imagine there will be much of a performance benefit, as the current car has a 50/50 weight distribution.

There are advantages besides just the weight distribution.  Most cars are probably close to that now, but you also have polar moment of inertia.  Bring the weight in tighter to the midline and handling gets better.

That said - technically the C8 was mid-engine because the engine was 100% behind the front wheels (I think).

I did see some discussion on the transmission going to a flappy-paddle system, but that's the future.

Now - this could turn into the opposite situation from what you are expecting.  The C7s might wind up going up in value, because of demand from people who don't want the middie.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

There are advantages besides just the weight distribution.  Most cars are probably close to that now, but you also have polar moment of inertia.  That's the issue Porsche has had to spend MILLIONS to solve in the 911.

That said - technically the C8 was mid-engine because the engine was 100% behind the front wheels (I think).

I did see some discussion on the transmission going to a flappy-paddle system, but that's the future.

Now - this could turn into the opposite situation from what you are expecting.  The C8s might wind up going up in value, because of demand from people who don't want the middie.

C7s. C7s might go up in value.

You've hit the main point, the C7s are actually mid-engined. And I don't really see any polar moment of inertia benefit to going mid-engine, except in quick turning. 

It wouldn't help acceleration, braking, cornering, speed, etc. But it does add massive complexity, makes service and maintenance much more costly, will most certainly drive the price up, and might turn-off old-school Corvette lovers. 

Chevy would have been better off just dropping all that development $$ into a DCT for the Vette.

Did you see the Mustang GT500 is going to have a DCT??

20 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

C7s. C7s might go up in value.

Yeah - I fixed that.  My bad.

You've hit the main point, the C7s are actually mid-engined. And I don't really see any polar moment of inertia benefit to going mid-engine, except in quick turning. 

It wouldn't help acceleration, braking, cornering, speed, etc. But it does add massive complexity, makes service and maintenance much more costly, will most certainly drive the price up, and might turn-off old-school Corvette lovers. 

Chevy would have been better off just dropping all that development $$ into a DCT for the Vette.

The thing about the polar moment of inertia on the C7 is that the transmission is still hanging out the ass, isn't it?  And the engine is farther from the DNC (Dead Nuts Center) of the car, as is the transmission.

I think it depends on how they do the transmission on this one.  They should be able to bring most of the mass forward and closer to the engine.  That will help.  Will it be enough to make it worth it?  We shall see.  GM has a history of home runs with the Corvette but have also cocked it up a few times.

It is almost certainly more complex but I think Chevrolet has hit the wall with front/mid engine.  Even in a sweeping turn the weight being near the ends of the car puts stress on the tires and affects handling.  Vs a mid-engine I don't know as the engine/transmission will still not be on DNC.

Complexity and maintenance will be an issue but I'd bet your average Corvette owner doesn't do any of that himself/herself.

Did you see the Mustang GT500 is going to have a DCT??

What scares me on all of this is that it seems you are saying that the Corvette will NOT have a DCT.  And if GM does all of this and doesn't put a proper gearbox in this thing....

I assumed that what people are referring to as an 'automatic' is actually a flappy-paddle gearbox designed for performance similar to what Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc use.  If they don't do that and it is some sort of modified standard automatic, they are as stupid as I think they are.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that if they do go DCT on the C8, that it's the same one used in the GT500 though.  Modified for mid-engine, of course.

BUT - this seems to indicate a DCT is coming though it seems to have been written early in the design process....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Yeah - I fixed that.  My bad.

The thing about the polar moment of inertia on the C7 is that the transmission is still hanging out the ass, isn't it?  And the engine is farther from the DNC (Dead Nuts Center) of the car, as is the transmission.

I think it depends on how they do the transmission on this one.  They should be able to bring most of the mass forward and closer to the engine.  

It is almost certainly more complex but I think Chevrolet has hit the wall with front/mid engine.  Even in a sweeping turn the weight being near the ends of the car puts stress on the tires and affects handling.

Complexity and maintenance will be an issue but I'd bet your average Corvette owner doesn't do any of that himself/herself.

What scares me on all of this is that it seems you are saying that the Corvette will NOT have a DCT.  And if GM does all of this and doesn't put a proper DCT gearbox in this thing....

I assumed that what people are referring to as an automatic is actually a flappy-paddle gearbox.  If they don't do that and it is some sort of modified standard automatic, they are as stupid as I think they are.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that if they do go DCT on the C8, that it's the same one used in the GT500 though.  Modified for mid-engine, of course.

It's a rear trans-axle I believe, so it's mostly inboard of the rear wheels. Not like a 911 or anything, it's definitely mid-engine.

I still really don't see much benefit to going mid-engine. The current car has it's weight inside the wheel centers, it's mid-engine, so the only real benefit would be faster turn-in due to less mass at the front. And with more weight at the back, over-steer could become an issue. Steady-state corning isn't going to be improved, AFAIK. But maybe there's something I don't understand.

Plus, I'd think there would be a good chance that making the car mid-engine would cause the weight of the engine to be higher in the chassis, due to packaging issues.  And there could also be packaging issues with the geometry of the rear suspension, since the engine/transmission unit might be trying to share some of the same space as the rear suspension. Then there's complex cooling issues, other packaging issues, and most definitely storage space will be lost. Current Corvettes have decent storage out back.

On the forum, they're calling the C8 trans an "auto", not a DCT, so I'm assuming it's a slush-box-matic. Not having a DCT would be really stupid.

1 minute ago, M&P15T said:

It's a rear trans-axle I believe, so it's mostly inboard of the rear wheels. Not like a 911 or anything, it's definitely mid-engine.

I still really don't see much benefit to going mid-engine. The current car has it's weight inside the wheel centers, it's mid-engine, so the only real benefit would be faster turn-in due to less mass at the front. And with more weight at the back, over-steer could become an issue. Steady-state corning isn't going to be improved, AFAIK. But maybe there's something I don't understand.

Plus, I'd think there would be a good chance that making the car mid-engine would cause the weight of the engine to be higher in the chassis, due to packaging issues.  And there could also be packaging issues with the geometry of the rear suspension, since the engine/transmission unit might be trying to share some of the same space as the rear suspension. Then there's complex cooling issues, other packaging issues, and most definitely storage space will be lost. Current Corvettes have decent storage out back.

On the forum, they're calling the C8 trans an "auto", not a DCT, so I'm assuming it's a slush-box-matic. Not having a DCT would be really stupid.

I have to believe that they will have the engine low in the chassis.  This is a whole new design.  They can't possibly be dumb enough to raise up the engine.  Same with the DCT system.  They have to have it.

Mid-engine is probably about hitting a new market (current Porsche buyers) but also I'm sure they are able to make improvements.  Bring everything closer to the midline front-to-rear and side-to-side.  

We'll see how they come out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SC Tiger said:

I have to believe that they will have the engine low in the chassis.  This is a whole new design.  They can't possibly be dumb enough to raise up the engine.  Same with the DCT system.  They have to have it.

Mid-engine is probably about hitting a new market (current Porsche buyers) but also I'm sure they are able to make improvements.  Bring everything closer to the midline front-to-rear and side-to-side.  

We'll see how they come out.

Yep, we'll see. 

I'm hoping it's awesome, and severely depresses the value of the C7s.?

6 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Check those pics. That's a really tight area to get a longitudinally mounted V8 engine and transmission. I'm thinking it must be transversely mounted.

And it looks like a 458/488.

They all look tight like that.  But it might be a little higher or transversely done.  Not sure how Ferrari does it (it DOES look like a 458).  But I'd bet it's similar.

1 minute ago, SC Tiger said:

They all look tight like that.  But it might be a little higher or transversely done.  Not sure how Ferrari does it (it DOES look like a 458).  But I'd bet it's similar.

I just learned the C7's have direct-injection. 

I did not know that.

3 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I just learned the C7's have direct-injection. 

I did not know that.

Cool.  That might flatten the engine a bit too.

One thing on rear-engine is that about 90% of the styling is done for you by the nature of the design.  You can do a little bit to it, but it seems like all mid-engine cars look the same.

Edited by SC Tiger

Why wait on the C8 to come out? Get you a C7 now and enjoy it. There are some really good deals out there. I bought my 2016 a couple years ago. It was used (1000) miles on it. I love it. 0-60 in under 4 seconds, 32 mpg hwy, very good ride quality.

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

No manual, no interest.

DCT Flappy-paddle setup will be sweet from a speed point of view.  If GM does it right,

Not as much fun to drive though.  But I think we've pretty well reached the limit of what a standard manual setup can handle.  DCTs are a lot easier on clutches.

Edited by SC Tiger

Consider the Camaro ZL1 1LE package.  Less expensive than a Corvette, but you're getting a supercharged 6.2 liter monster with 650 hp and 650 lbs torque.  0-60 is 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in the low 11s, top speed of 198 and it's blowing away Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Porsches through the figure 8 for less than $70K. 

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Consider the Camaro ZL1 1LE package.  Less expensive than a Corvette, but you're getting a supercharged 6.2 liter monster with 650 hp and 650 lbs torque.  0-60 is 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in the low 11s, top speed of 198 and it's blowing away Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Porsches through the figure 8 for less than $70K. 

I bought this...0  to 60 in just under 3 sec., mid 10 sec quarter mile at 143 mph and top speed of 160.  All for about $50,000 less...

bumblebee.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I know Camaros area beasts, but they're like driving a tank........in a closet......with the door closed.

Not the best outward visibility, if we're honest.

• Haha 1