Latest toy arrived.

PNWguy

Got in my new Extar EP-9 the other day.  Took two weeks to get to my FFL after ordering it directly from the manufacturer for $419 + $20 S&H.  Came with a single Magpul 17-round mag and I plan on buying more Glock 33-round mags like the one I already had.

Incredibly light and fast handling.  Polymer is OK, but obviously not as nicely done as Glock, or Ruger, or even Taurus.  No magazine I tried would drop free from it.  That's trying a G19 OEM mag, 33-round OEM mag, and Magpul 17-round mag. 

All controls are super stiff, safety is polymer and feels wiggly and weak; needs upgraded.  Trigger pull is nice and crisp, though.  Obvious why it's a $400 gun in a a typically $1200 class of weapons.

Added a weapon light and red dot and ordered a new Magpul grip since the stock one is cheap and slippery.

Would love to shoot it, but everything is under 2' of snow out here.

Should make for a fun range toy and good HD gun.

07SmWNFJRFety3VzusQa5g.jpg.39b9ee173fbf580c5b0cf52f08abbb9f.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Got in my new Extar EP-9 the other day.  Took two weeks to get to my FFL after ordering it directly from the manufacturer for $419 + $20 S&H.  Came with a single Magpul 17-round mag and I plan on buying more Glock 33-round mags like the one I already had.

Incredibly light and fast handling.  Polymer is OK, but obviously not as nicely done as Glock, or Ruger, or even Taurus.  No magazine I tried would drop free from it.  That's trying a G19 OEM mag, 33-round OEM mag, and Magpul 17-round mag. 

All controls are super stiff, safety is polymer and feels wiggly and weak; needs upgraded.  Trigger pull is nice and crisp, though.  Obvious why it's a $400 gun in a a typically $1200 class of weapons.

Added a weapon light and red dot and ordered a new Magpul grip since the stock one is cheap and slippery.

Would love to shoot it, but everything is under 2' of snow out here.

Should make for a fun range toy and good HD gun.

07SmWNFJRFety3VzusQa5g.jpg.39b9ee173fbf580c5b0cf52f08abbb9f.jpg

That's nuckin futs. tom. :devildance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I'd be interested in the 10mm version but I don't think they're on the market yet.

That's the one I originally wanted, but they released them for testing to a few gun people almost a year ago and are still not available.

Pure speculation would be that they had some catastrophic failures and that's why they still aren't for sale and why they are silent on a release date.

The 9mm versions are still selling like hotcakes and hard to get.

Once mine has been vetted, it will be my HD gun.  Should be ideal.

A 10mm version would make an awesome backpacking gun.

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Gave it one of my silly camo jobs since the cheap polymer was driving me nuts...

IMG_20190307_111536655.jpg.4598fc57788186634b0482405ccd78fd.jpg

That Knife and sheath looks like something I have. Mine is Japanese Damascus 18 layers oak handle cast iron hilt. the sheath is meant to go on the left side at an almost 45 degree angle for cross draw. My G20SK foes on my right hip when I'm in the woods. A company that did some Cerekote for me made my kydex sheath. it holds the knife very securely an dyou really have to yank on it to get it out.

If Extar is having problems with the 10mm version, I wonder about the 45 ACP version. Their website says that they are prioritizing production of the 9mm versions and that neither the 10mm or 45 versions are available yet.

https://www.extarusa.com/ep45.htm

knife2.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

That Knife and sheath looks like something I have. Mine is Japanese Damascus 18 layers oak handle cast iron hilt. the sheath is meant to go on the left side at an almost 45 degree angle for cross draw. My G20SK foes on my right hip when I'm in the woods. A company that did some Cerekote for me made my kydex sheath. it holds the knife very securely an dyou really have to yank on it to get it out.

If Extar is having problems with the 10mm version, I wonder about the 45 ACP version. Their website says that they are prioritizing production of the 9mm versions and that neither the 10mm or 45 versions are available yet.

https://www.extarusa.com/ep45.htm

knife2.JPG

Knife is a plain old Ontario Knife Company Rat 5 and the sheath was made by some obscure company that I forgot the name of.  Your sheath looks like it was made by the same guy.  It was pricey, but great quality!

52 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Knife is a plain old Ontario Knife Company Rat 5 and the sheath was made by some obscure company that I forgot the name of.  Your sheath looks like it was made by the same guy.  It was pricey, but great quality!

Ontario makes good knives. My sheath was made by one of the owners of a company called Liquid Transformations in Spokane. they did some Cerakoting for me.

Finally had decent enough weather to get out to the range. Unfortunately, everything past 20yds was still buried in snow so I couldn't get to the further targets.

But was able to put around 100rds through it using a couple of types of ammo and used three different types of magazines.

First of all, this thing is a hoot! Very little recoil, crisp, albeit, heavy trigger, easy handling, and fast on multiple targets.

Function was 100% with all magazines and ammo!

Got the cheap red dot dialed in and using cheap Federal 115gr RN brass-cased bulk ammo from WalMart, got a pretty dang impressive 1 1/8" group at 20yds using a rest, but standing.

Couldn't ask for better with cheap ammo, cheap optics, and shooting in 20 degree weather...

ULEZ0DluRjeBa0wypqSYbw.jpg.728bd53e358d381a21b300f94843303f.jpg

• Like 1

The 20 degree weather helps to keep the barrel cool.  Anytime I sight in a rifle and the barrel gets warm, I stop.  Do something else, sight in another rifle if I have one, and pick up with the cooler barrel.  Also, are you married to 115 gr 9mm?  If you are, kudos, sir.  One reason to stay consistent with a grain of bullet once you are sighted in, is different grains will throw you off the mark.  I may be OCDC about this, but I am.  That is why I stay at 180gr for my 10mm, 140gr for my 6.5 creedmore, 147gr for my 9mm, 230gr for my .45ACP, etc.

8 hours ago, Moshe said:

The 20 degree weather helps to keep the barrel cool.  Anytime I sight in a rifle and the barrel gets warm, I stop.  Do something else, sight in another rifle if I have one, and pick up with the cooler barrel.  Also, are you married to 115 gr 9mm?  If you are, kudos, sir.  One reason to stay consistent with a grain of bullet once you are sighted in, is different grains will throw you off the mark.  I may be OCDC about this, but I am.  That is why I stay at 180gr for my 10mm, 140gr for my 6.5 creedmore, 147gr for my 9mm, 230gr for my .45ACP, etc.

I'm a heavy bullet guy too, and I think there are certain weights that are optimum in each caliber. I think in 9mm 124 grain gives the best balance of mass and velocity, but 147 grain is probably just as good. I've always thought 165 grains was the minimum weight for the 40 caliber but 180 grain might even be a little better. And in 10mm 180 grains is both optimum and minimum but 200 grain is good.  I like the new Federal HST 200 grain load for the 10mm but 180 grains is really optimal. and 230 grains is best for the 45 especially since even 230 grain plus +P loads are subsonic.

I used to like 200 grains in the 44 Special when I carried a Charter Arms bulldog.  But in 44 Mag 300 grains takes the cartridge to a whole other level.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, PNWguy said:

Depends on the gun.  My G35 is more accurate with 155gr, but my M&P40 prefers 180gr.

G19 prefers 115gr, Taurus G2 likes 124gr.

My 19's and 17's have gobbled up 147 grains pretty well.  But, I prefer Gold Dots.  That may make the difference.