New Glock 19 Gen 4 Failure to Feed Issues.

Duluth

I took my new Glock to the range for the first time yesterday after cleaning and lubing. I was firing Fiocchi 115 grain ammo. It wasn't ejecting/feeding at all. I switched to Fiocchi 124 grain fired off 200 rounds and it worked flawlessly. Then I tried Magtech 115 grain. That worked just fine. Then I switched back to the Fiocchi 115 grain and it worked fine. I think I'm going to stick to 124 grain ammo.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I used all three mags. All the 124 worked perfectly. It was just the 115 at the start failed. I manually cycled the first three mags and switched to 124. Maybe a tight spring?

I put around 500 rounds through it. All three of the mags failed at first. Switched to 124 and it worked fine. Went back to 115 and they worked fine.

Edited by Duluth
  • Like 1

If it was mine, with how you described the issue, I'd fire off a few more boxes of the Fiocchi 115 just to make sure, and if it still works with it, I'd not be concerned.

Sometimes things are just a little tight to start out and parts need to get a little wear on them before they function smoothly together.

Give it until 4 or 500 rounds, after that if it has more than a single failure to feed or eject at a time then you'll want it checked out by the factory.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Sometimes things are just a little tight to start out and parts need to get a little wear on them before they function smoothly together.

Yup.  Sometimes a little break in time does wonders for a gun.  My Glock 19 came with a gritty trigger that even seemed to have a gap in the middle of the pull.  It did not concern me and a I dry fired it a bunch and then took it to the range.  After about 100 rounds, that trigger was as smooth as any of my Glocks that have had their trigger cleaned up. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

If it was mine, with how you described the issue, I'd fire off a few more boxes of the Fiocchi 115 just to make sure, and if it still works with it, I'd not be concerned.

Give it until 4 or 500 rounds, after that if it has more than a single failure to feed or eject at a time then you'll want it checked out by the factory.

What Cougar said.  Though I have never had a problem with a new Glock, if the problem was only with the 115 gr rounds of a specific brand and they later started working fine the action just needed to be broken in a bit.  Shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Citra47 said:

What Cougar said.  Though I have never had a problem with a new Glock, if the problem was only with the 115 gr rounds of a specific brand and they later started working fine the action just needed to be broken in a bit.  Shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

Agree. I bought a gun show, used G-19/4 that even still had the factory gold-ish grease in it..BUT it never failed in any way with any ammo..cheapo 115 to expensive 90g Xtreme Defender..think it's just getting a a wee bit broken in. Also bought a new G17/4...never had any issue with anything...

• Like 2

Thank you for the posts.

Sounds like it just needed to be broken in. Just a side note; a friend of mine was using the same batch of ammo in his Ruger SR9C. He has never had a failure to feed but had two ff's using the same ammo. Maybe it was a combination of needing to break in and weak ammo. I've read on other forums that 19 4 gen like 124 grain better than 115.  

I'm going to the range next week. I'll run both 124 and 115 through it and give you an update. It's frustrating have a new gun go click when you expect it to go boom.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

I have 4's.  But, I feed them either Winchester White Box or 147gr Gold Dot.  You might be having an ammo issue.  If you have a problem with all ammunition you might have a bad magazine, or need the feed ramp polished.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, Cougar_ml said:

I just got back from the range. I put a couple of boxes Fiocchi 115 through it. Not a single failure. It looks like it just needed to be broken. I put 400 rounds of 124 and they all worked too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duluth said:

I just got back from the range. I put a couple of boxes Fiocchi 115 through it. Not a single failure. It looks like it just needed to be broken. I put 400 rounds of 124 and they all worked too.

Glad to hear it.  I personally don't trust a carry firearm until it has at least 500 trouble free rounds through it.  Sounds like you're there.

• Like 2

Just now, Cougar_ml said:

Glad to hear it.  I personally don't trust a carry firearm until it has at least 500 trouble free rounds through it.  Sounds like you're there.

Yeah. I think you're right. I probably have around 1,000 rounds through it. The only issue was  at the very beginning. I'm confident with it now. 

I have around 3,000 through my G42. I've never had a single issue with it and I ran all sorts of different ammo through.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Duluth said:

Yeah. I think you're right. I probably have around 1,000 rounds through it. The only issue was  at the very beginning. I'm confident with it now. 

I have around 3,000 through my G42. I've never had a single issue with it and I ran all sorts of different ammo through.

Same, I have 2 G42s..never any malfunction on either..cheap, bulk ammo to expensive, any case material, any weight..Same with my G17, son's G17, son's G43 and other son's G45..