Just ordered a new cell phone.

Cougar_ml

So yeah, the USB port on my old phone shorted out.  Bought a new port to replace it, managed to destroy the phone's screen in the process.  Phone is older, Galaxy S5, and had a few quirks that were starting to annoy me, so took this as a sign that it was time to get a new phone.

Ordered a phone through sprint, wanted the toughest phone I could get because my job has me out in odd placed and working with tools a lot.  Ended up ordering the Sonim XP8.

Haven't gotten the phone yet, but I was looking over the company website and found a discrepancy.

Warranty page shows a pretty standard "not our fault if you break it, we only cover manufacturer defects" type coverage.

On a different page on their site they show their "rugged performance standards", one of which said the phone has a 3 year "if you manage to break it we will fix it for you" comprehensive warranty.

I sent them a message asking which warranty was the one that was actually true, as I had just purchased the phone.  

Naturally, they took a full day to get back to me, with a response of "Thank you for finding this problem with our website, we have now fixed the difference" and the 3 year "comprehensive" warranty just says the basic "we cover manufacturer defects for 3 years" crap.

Sent them a message letting them know that I am very unhappy that I purchased this phone and that the website blatantly lied about what was going to be covered at the time of purchase, and they changed what the coverage is provided.  Been a couple hours since it shows they read that message, obviously the person who responds to the messages isn't very high in the chain of things and has to go talk to someone else that can actually make decisions.

No real point to this thread, just venting about a company that doesn't seem to stand behind their product now as much as they apparently used to.  I'm hoping they will get back to me with something about "since you bought while we were saying it had this coverage we'll honor it" but not really holding my breath.

The question is, if they get back to me and say "nope, just the limited warranty" is it unduly rude of me to post publicly on their page about the change in actual protection, or should I just be a good little sheeple and be quiet?  I know I'm not the only one that saw the comprehensive warranty as others have commented about how they feel protected by it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

So yeah, the USB port on my old phone shorted out.  Bought a new port to replace it, managed to destroy the phone's screen in the process.  Phone is older, Galaxy S5, and had a few quirks that were starting to annoy me, so took this as a sign that it was time to get a new phone.

Ordered a phone through sprint, wanted the toughest phone I could get because my job has me out in odd placed and working with tools a lot.  Ended up ordering the Sonim XP8.

Haven't gotten the phone yet, but I was looking over the company website and found a discrepancy.

Warranty page shows a pretty standard "not our fault if you break it, we only cover manufacturer defects" type coverage.

On a different page on their site they show their "rugged performance standards", one of which said the phone has a 3 year "if you manage to break it we will fix it for you" comprehensive warranty.

I sent them a message asking which warranty was the one that was actually true, as I had just purchased the phone.  

Naturally, they took a full day to get back to me, with a response of "Thank you for finding this problem with our website, we have now fixed the difference" and the 3 year "comprehensive" warranty just says the basic "we cover manufacturer defects for 3 years" crap.

Sent them a message letting them know that I am very unhappy that I purchased this phone and that the website blatantly lied about what was going to be covered at the time of purchase, and they changed what the coverage is provided.  Been a couple hours since it shows they read that message, obviously the person who responds to the messages isn't very high in the chain of things and has to go talk to someone else that can actually make decisions.

No real point to this thread, just venting about a company that doesn't seem to stand behind their product now as much as they apparently used to.  I'm hoping they will get back to me with something about "since you bought while we were saying it had this coverage we'll honor it" but not really holding my breath.

The question is, if they get back to me and say "nope, just the limited warranty" is it unduly rude of me to post publicly on their page about the change in actual protection, or should I just be a good little sheeple and be quiet?  I know I'm not the only one that saw the comprehensive warranty as others have commented about how they feel protected by it.  

If the warranty is what's stated.  It's good for others to know.

I just got a piece of crap replacement battery for my cell from Yishda.   the web site says it's compatible with my phone.  I put it in the phone and its says it's not compatible and will not function with it.  I complained to the company and they say to stuff it.  Now I have one that works and nothing but ill will towards a company that doesn't care.

• Like 2

Phone arrived today, Sprint hadn't even given out tracking information for it yet, so was a little bit of a surprise.

Registered it through the Sonim website, got a response that my 3 year comprehensive warranty started.  Still waiting for the one guy to get back to me with someone from legal that can explain their warranties to me.  

comparing it side by side with an LG G5 inside a lifeproof case, overall about the same size except the Sonim is thicker by about 3/16 inch.  The Sonim is also 12 oz, as opposed to 7 for the LG.

Surprisingly enough, it came with very few bloatware apps.  Once I removed a couple sprint apps and the uber apps that came on it, everything was good.  Very happy with it so far.

had it unplugged for an hour at one point, hasn't fully charged yet, but battery level didn't drop at all during that hour with mild use.  My old phone and the spare I'm using both drop 5-10% an hour with use and the poor signal quality here.  

• Like 2

24 hours after unplugging the phone it's still at 80%.

It showed about 10% drop in reading after restarting it a few times.  Very poor signal where I live, my old phone (with a new OEM battery in it) would barely make it 24 hours here, and wouldn't have signal in most of the house.  Overall pretty happy with it thus far.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, Cougar_ml said:

Their web page may have been the only proof that existed regarding their false advertising.  Now it is gone.  They have hidden the fact that they lied.  Maybe you can look at an Internet archive site and go back a week or maybe a month and capture a snapshot of their page.   They probably still won't honor it, but that's your best shot at pointing out the discrepancy. 

Try https://archive.org/web/web.php

• Like 1

Congrats on the new phone!

What @minervadoe said- I was just coming in here to ask if you screen shot the old warranty before you stirred the hornet's nest.

Companies these days aren't honorable like they were in the past. Nobody has integrity anymore. "Thanks for your money, now STFU." seems to be the new normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Registered it through the Sonim website, got a response that my 3 year comprehensive warranty started.  Still waiting for the one guy to get back to me with someone from legal that can explain their warranties to me.  

https://web.archive.org/web/20180513115223/http://www.sonimtech.com/index.php/products/our-standards

Here is snapshot of their warranty page from January 10th, 2019.  It very distinctly states:

3 Year Comprehensive Warranty

Sonim will even cover accidental damage of the phone for the duration of 3 years

3-Year Comprehensive Warranty

https://web.archive.org/web/20180513115223/http://www.sonimtech.com/index.php/products/our-standards

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

Thanks, I downloaded it to be on the safe side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Moshe said:

I have an Apple, before they created the latest abominations.  I am good with mine in its otter box until it falls apart.

I've just never been much of a fan of apple's "we know what's best for you" policy for all of their products.  That and things like 1 gig or larger updates on things that are supposed to be music players.  I suppose they are good for people that want easy solutions to their needs, but not a lot of choices.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in the phone industry these days.  Products are designed to last only until the next model comes out, then a lot of companies seem to be sabotaging their previous products to entice customers to upgrade.  The brand I went with doesn't have a huge lineup of models, and come out with newer versions years apart from each other.  The XP8 is the newer version of their XP7, which was released in mid 2015, and still being sold today, as well as several other models from that time frame.

Only time will tell if this holds up, but not many customer reviews complain about the phone not being as tough as the company claims, and being tough was the top of the list for things I wanted.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 4:28 PM, Cougar_ml said:

Sprint coverage and performance even with 4 or 5 bars is not as good as it used to be.  Verizon or AT&T provide better coverage and connectivity when I compare them in Houston.

24 hours after unplugging the phone it's still at 80%.

It showed about 10% drop in reading after restarting it a few times.  Very poor signal where I live, my old phone (with a new OEM battery in it) would barely make it 24 hours here, and wouldn't have signal in most of the house.  Overall pretty happy with it thus far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

I've just never been much of a fan of apple's "we know what's best for you" policy for all of their products.  That and things like 1 gig or larger updates on things that are supposed to be music players.  I suppose they are good for people that want easy solutions to their needs, but not a lot of choices.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in the phone industry these days.  Products are designed to last only until the next model comes out, then a lot of companies seem to be sabotaging their previous products to entice customers to upgrade.  The brand I went with doesn't have a huge lineup of models, and come out with newer versions years apart from each other.  The XP8 is the newer version of their XP7, which was released in mid 2015, and still being sold today, as well as several other models from that time frame.

Only time will tell if this holds up, but not many customer reviews complain about the phone not being as tough as the company claims, and being tough was the top of the list for things I wanted.

I read reviews too.  The only reason I got a private Apple, is because the Government in its infinite unwisdom decided to put us on Apple Phone leashes, and I don't trust the Government, even when I was working for them.  You see too much how the sausage is made.  I would see guys try to take advantage of the unlimited talk time and use it for their personal stuff.  I figured eventually, like the guys that got fired in the USBP for using the official G-Credit Card for anything but official business getting their nuts in a sling.  I knew I had to learn the ins and outs of the damn phone (I have learned more from my 13 year old daughter more than anything else).  I started with pager, a duty flip phone, and finally the Apple monstrosity.  So, I have always kept an honest accounting, even though the Government does not.  For instance on my move over 10 years ago, when you had to fill out your MI&E guys would laugh at me for putting down the exact amount used.  I told them, you do what you want to do, but I making an honest accounting with receipts, so it does not come up in future and bite me in the ass.  So, I have an unlimited plan on my personal phone, and so does the family.  The only reason I have an Apple.  Not that I love the company, or a fanboy, etc.  I just understand it better than the rest, because I had to.  If you couldn't access your e-mail, especially when you were an Acting Supervisor, all hell could rain down on you from above.  It generally did anyway, but you better able to read those instructions day and night and be in compliance.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

159fa82fd4a525b7a99fa16701e9b2cf200bd5bc-1.thumb.jpg.8ce8f31930522025620a3ae0568782af.jpg

I haven't used it a whole lot this past week because I've been sick, it's just been sitting on the table.  As I've said before, not the best signal here, so that's probably making it less than it could be, but still, a full week on a single charge is awesome.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
I read reviews too.  The only reason I got a private Apple, is because the Government in its infinite unwisdom decided to put us on Apple Phone leashes, and I don't trust the Government, even when I was working for them.  You see too much how the sausage is made.  I would see guys try to take advantage of the unlimited talk time and use it for their personal stuff.  I figured eventually, like the guys that got fired in the USBP for using the official G-Credit Card for anything but official business getting their nuts in a sling.  I knew I had to learn the ins and outs of the damn phone (I have learned more from my 13 year old daughter more than anything else).  I started with pager, a duty flip phone, and finally the Apple monstrosity.  So, I have always kept an honest accounting, even though the Government does not.  For instance on my move over 10 years ago, when you had to fill out your MI&E guys would laugh at me for putting down the exact amount used.  I told them, you do what you want to do, but I making an honest accounting with receipts, so it does not come up in future and bite me in the ass.  So, I have an unlimited plan on my personal phone, and so does the family.  The only reason I have an Apple.  Not that I love the company, or a fanboy, etc.  I just understand it better than the rest, because I had to.  If you couldn't access your e-mail, especially when you were an Acting Supervisor, all hell could rain down on you from above.  It generally did anyway, but you better able to read those instructions day and night and be in compliance.

Holy cow! In what agency are you employed?

I'm in the DON, and while it's not puppies and rainbows, I'd doesn't seem to suck as bad as what you're describing.

Not only should you blast them, where you can, you should contact Sprint with your concerns, since the phone came through them.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, Cougar_ml said:

I don't have a whole lot of faith in the phone industry these days.  Products are designed to last only until the next model comes out, then a lot of companies seem to be sabotaging their previous products to entice customers to upgrade. 

I agree with you on that one.

I have already decided that when my current phone becomes unusable due to lack of OEM support, I will be looking for options other than a smart phone.  I only use mine as a phone anyway.

• Like 1