Pulling Gun at Line Cutters: Irma

light-switch

Heard it on the radio yesterday about a man pulling a gun on someone else that cut in line in front of them while they were waiting to get supplies to endure the oncoming hurricane. The only thing I found online was a link about someone pulling a gun on another car as they waited to get filled in a gas station.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article171828157.html

It got me thinking whether that could be considered justifiable: there's a terrible hurricane coming, and you're out getting supplies on which your and your family's lives may depend on in the coming days. As you wait in line to get what you need of whatever scarce supplies it is, someone cuts in front of you. If you allow them to cut, that may perhaps mean you might not get the supplies you need for survival. Would this be a situation where you would brandish a firearm?

Wow, I'm surprised this has had only one reply so far.

OP--Absolutely not!  You'd need to find a much better way to address the line cutting.

Whether you need to buy supplies or not is beside the point; the other person is not presenting a direct nor an immediate threat to your (or another innocent's) life.  You can't legally use deadly force over something that might or might not happen at some later date, or because someone does something you don't like.  Your post is scary.  Please read up or take a class on justifiable use of deadly force.  

Also keep in mind that by pulling a gun on someone under the scenario you gave, absent other major factors, the other person just might be deemed justified in using deadly force against you!  By your actions, a reasonable person probably would be in fear for his life because you have shown the ability (your gun), the opportunity (you are standing right there with him at the moment), and the intent (you intentionally pulled the gun on him) to cause his death or serious injury.  Even if you don't get arrested, brandishing a deadly weapon against someone is a dangerous thing to do.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2017 at 4:12 PM, light-switch said:

It got me thinking whether that could be considered justifiable: there's a terrible hurricane coming, and you're out getting supplies on which your and your family's lives may depend on in the coming days. As you wait in line to get what you need of whatever scarce supplies it is, someone cuts in front of you. If you allow them to cut, that may perhaps mean you might not get the supplies you need for survival. Would this be a situation where you would brandish a firearm?

There's the soylent green.......

Yeah, probably not legal. And stupid too.

Instead consider this (but don't do it):

Don't put up a fuss when he cuts in front of you. When he has his back to you just reach up and slit his throat then break his neck. Push the body out of the line and be on your way. If he had any good stuff in his basket, just put it in yours or pass it down to the people behind you.  If the police are even called, no one will have seen anything unless he was there with someone. But there will be too many witnesses that will say he committed suicide, and that his family is lying.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida law says the threat must be "imminent."  Other jurisdictions almost certainly have similar language.  No way that the presented scenario qualifies.

One of my staff members evacuated prior to Irma and came back immediately afterward.  She witnessed fist fights and a car ramming another at gas stations.  Another good reason to hunker down.

• 9 months later...

If someone pulled a firearm on me, I will view that as a serious threat and treat it accordingly.  Lack of preparedness is not considered a justifiable use of one’s firearm.

We are, once again, in hurricane season.  People that carry a firearm, in case things go badly and one is needed, should also be prepared for other catastrophes they may face. 

Many in Florida should have already purchased most of their supplies, I know water tastes a bit funny when stored for long periods of time; however, you can buy it now and it will be good for a few months.  While bread cannot be stored for long periods of time, crackers other items will serve a similar purpose if you are not able to get bread the week before.  We should already have batteries and can goods.  During hurricane season, fill up the tank in your vehicle before it is half empty.

After a week with no power, I understand having to go out for gas; some of us don’t have a safe way to store more.  Storage of gas for extended periods is not high in my list; however, when there is a sign a storm “might” come our way, that is the time to fill up enough containers for about a week.  If we are lucky and miss it, I use what is stored for our vehicles and refill them again when needed.

There is no reason to not prepare for something we know will likely happen, ahead of time.  I have lived in South Florida for over 40 years, in that time; we have never been without power for more than 4 weeks.  Who cannot prepare enough for that period of time without considering drawing one’s weapon?

• Like 1

how dire is the situation if we are standing in line?  Why do I need a gun to deal with some guy cutting in line?  There is typically a fairly large universe between zero and pulling a gun on someone. 

Honestly, I do not put much thought into outlandish or Armageddon like circumstances .  I tend to think smaller and simply follow some basic core principles which can be easily adapted to fit most situations.  A person can "what if " themselves into a corner all day long but to what end.  I ask myself some basic things when considering armed self defense action.. 

1. does this person have the genuine ability to harm me 

2.  does this person have the opportunity to harm me

3.  has this person offered anything ( verbal or non verbal action)  indicating his/her intent to harm me 

4. Can I remove myself from danger by walking away?

5.  does life threatening danger( peril) exist NOW and in this moment?

Would I brandish a firearm in the situation described in post (1)?   Of course not but that is not to say that I might not do something else to help correct the jackassery happening around me. Generally speaking, I do not believe in using a firearm as some sort of exclamation point to intimidate or threaten.  I will only introduce a firearm if I consider the need and use of it to be imminent. 

Edited by Paper Tiger