Mythbusting "Glocks Aren't Accurate"

JJHNSN

That's always the case, isn't it? The Indian is more important than the arrow.

The point here though is that mechanically the Glock is more than plenty accurate. I also am convinced most people obsessing over accuracy with a handgun probably have little idea what is involved when it comes to combat accuracy and "minute of man" but think their handgun has to be some sort of precision rifle accurate.

• Like 2

To be fair, that was actually at only 18 yds.  I was told at the time that the targets were at 25yds by my dad at his range.  After shooting in my first GSSF match at an actual 25yds, I suspected that dad's range was a little off.  So, I got out a tape measure and discovered the truth.  I then posted on GT about my discovery and apologized for misleading people with inaccurate groups.  I have since fixed dad's range to be an exact 25yd range.  His 50yd targets are actually 55yds, but his 100yd and 300yd targets are pretty close.

I did shoot this target at a true 25yds with my G29, but with a Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion barrel...

IMG_20170817_163205008.thumb.jpg.a3192db2e4beae4a3a2497ef31a449fd.jpg

• Like 1

I believe this is the tightest group I've managed with my G29 so far with the factory barrel at a true 25yds.  But, I also discovered that my powder measure was wildly inconsistent so I suspect that I will be getting some much better groups in the future.

IMG_20170617_124438884.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The accuracy I've gotten with Glocks is pretty similar to what I see from other guns in the same price range.  As far as what people think about their accuracy--in my experience, pistol accuracy has way more to do with the shooter than the pistol nearly all the time.

When I took the Glock Instructors Workshop some years back, two shooters using stock Glock pistols were able to make a first round hit on a bowling pin at 50 yards.  And the folks who missed certainly weren't handicapped by equipment since everyone was using Glocks.

If you can learn to love that Glock trigger, you can pretty much get the gun to walk your dog.

Glock 34 - ten rounds - seven yards

Glock34a.jpg  

Glock 26 - ten rounds - seven yards - first time at range

Glock26a.jpg

Seven yards - Glock 21 and 1911 comparison 

1911G21SideBySide2.jpg   

Seven yards - Glock 20 1st time at range| 

10mm1stTime2.jpg    

Glock 29 - seven yards

g2910mm7yardsMed.jpg

Edited by minervadoe

The ongoing fundamental misunderstanding and misconception out there is that one must be able to put a .5" group into a threat to  stop it. In fact, the goal in a SD shooting is to make the trauma physician's or coroner's job hard. Put the rounds into a hand sized group in center mass and you are good to go. The goal is not to put the same round into every whole. More holes in the hydraulic and electrical system is the goal.

When it comes to accuracy there is:

"Precision rifle" style accuracy.
Olympic handgun shooting accuracy.

Competition "funnin/gunnin" gun game accuracy.
Video game accuracy.

Accuracy as discussed on gun forums.

Real-life combat accuracy which is the only thing most of us need care about.

If you shoot a group and can cover it with your fist at 21' or less, you are good to go.
Further? Hand sized group.

Edited by JJHNSN

• 4 weeks later...
On September 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM, JJHNSN said:

That's always the case, isn't it? The Indian is more important than the arrow.

The point here though is that mechanically the Glock is more than plenty accurate. I also am convinced most people obsessing over accuracy with a handgun probably have little idea what is involved when it comes to combat accuracy and "minute of man" but think their handgun has to be some sort of precision rifle accurate.

I really like that! Going to have to save that for later use.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, JJHNSN said:

...... The Indian is more important than the arrow.

You will be going to PC hell. That is either cultural appropriation, racism or both.  Are you talking Asian Indian, or indigenous North American? Are you either one?    Can you prove it.   If so, you are off the hook, otherwise shame on you!

What about English bowmen?

False outrage offf>  So true, the shooter is usually accuracy problem 95%+ of the time.

• 1 month later...

I have never found the Glock to be anything but combat accurate. Granted I don't know how every one rates a gun for accuracy, I only know how I do it. 25 yards rested with match quality ammunition. With the black of a 50 yard target being just over 3". A bullseye gun must shoot a smaller than 1.5" group at 25 yards to be competitive at all. So I use that as a measure for accuracy

The Glock is on par with most guns of that design, but they can all be made to shoot tighter groups with better barrels. I think they would be much more accurate with conventional rifling and the ability to shoot a lead wadcutter. 

I have never found the Glock to be anything but combat accurate. Granted I don't know how every one rates a gun for accuracy, I only know how I do it. 25 yards rested with match quality ammunition. With the black of a 50 yard target being just over 3". A bullseye gun must shoot a smaller than 1.5" group at 25 yards to be competitive at all. So I use that as a measure for accuracy

That's a good standard of accuracy for a bullseye gun, but if that's your general standard of accuracy for all handguns, you will be very limited in terms of what guns you find acceptable.

An off-the-shelf autopistol with a price of approximately $1000 or less is unlikely to meet that standard, and, based on what I see at the range and at competitions, the vast majority of shooters wouldn't be able to tell if it did.

...they can all be made to shoot tighter groups with better barrels.

Better fitted barrels, perhaps.  The actual barrel itself (assuming no obvious defects) in terms of rifling, chamber, etc., is not really a big factor in a typical locked-breech centerfire autopistol pistol accuracy.  How well it is fitted to the gun is really what matters.  There are some drop-in barrels that can improve accuracy, but that's because they are oversize in certain dimensions resulting in a tighter fit to the gun--and perhaps reduced reliability.

• Like 1

Well, it all depends on its intended use. For sd, a 4" group at 25 yards is plenty good.
I will soon be starting a G40 mos 10mm build for hunting. I am HOPING for 2" groups at 50 yards but I will be changing almost everything.

BarSto match target extended threaded barrel to be fit by a qualified gunsmith

Johnnyglock level 3 trigger group

Suppressor height co-witness sights

3.25moa RMR

Tungsten guide rod

Stainless pins

Carved 4 port Compensator

Grip resize & stipple

Still researching, so more could be added.

I plan to hunt deer and hogs with this pistol. I want the best possible accuracy at range that me and the gun can get.

Sent from a mental institution

• Like 1