It tastes like crick water

ARP

I was listening to a local radio station here in the last few weeks and the subject of bottled water came up. I have a well, the water is somewhat soft, in that it is softer than the local foo foo township city water. That being said my water has a lot of mineral in it, mainly iron, that if not treated will stain everything red. So it runs thru a treatment that uses air to remove the iron before it is moved to a tank and stored and used throughout the house. Under my sink I have a triple reverse osmosis system that further treats that water and runs it thru a carbon filter that is supposed to give it some taste. My fridge has the water/ice maker on the door and it has a filter, so not as heavily filtered as the reverse osmosis system and as a result it has some taste to it.

Growing up, we lived sort of out in the country, we played in the woods and fields that surrounded myself, cousins and friends houses. There was a sizeable creek that ran thru the area, big enough to fish, swim, raft, explore, etc. My aunt/uncle/cousins had property that bordered the creek and there was a big mowed field that we would play all sorts of sports there growing up. Very inventive with invisible players because there may have only been 5 or 6 of us to play a game of mushball or 3 on 3 football......the creek, we would always stop at some point during the game and drink water from the creek. who knows what the hell was in that water, it had a distinct taste to it that tasted like mineral water. I grew up accustom to drinking well water and city water tastes like pool water to me. Chlorine taste, non mineral distilled taste.

I carry bottled water with me while traveling. I tried to do the recycle a plastic bottle and fill with my tap water, what I found was that I would lose track of when the bottle was used and cleaned or actually getting the bottle clean and would find funk growing in the cap of the plastic recycle bottle, so it would get tossed. And also could not offer water to someone, would you want a plastic water bottle that was already opened and refilled? I know I would not. I had a college cross country national meet trip and one of the kids was using the same water bottle to hydrate from. Got sick the day before the meet, speculation was that the lucky water bottle was unsanitary.

Back to the radio station, they liked Evian water, said it has mineral taste to it, not distilled. Voss is another, supposed to be glacial water, although Voss is more about the shape of the bottle and the image that it is the water you want people to see you drinking. The bottle is a clear glass cylinder with gray simple graphics and gray screw on cap. That was a description I once read from their website. Unsure of the taste of it. The other day I saw a 6 pak of Evian in Walmart, so I picked it up to give it a try. Took several gulps of it and yep, tastes like crick water.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ARP said:

I was listening to a local radio station here in the last few weeks and the subject of bottled water came up. I have a well, the water is somewhat soft, in that it is softer than the local foo foo township city water. That being said my water has a lot of mineral in it, mainly iron, that if not treated will stain everything red. So it runs thru a treatment that uses air to remove the iron before it is moved to a tank and stored and used throughout the house. Under my sink I have a triple reverse osmosis system that further treats that water and runs it thru a carbon filter that is supposed to give it some taste. My fridge has the water/ice maker on the door and it has a filter, so not as heavily filtered as the reverse osmosis system and as a result it has some taste to it.

Growing up, we lived sort of out in the country, we played in the woods and fields that surrounded myself, cousins and friends houses. There was a sizeable creek that ran thru the area, big enough to fish, swim, raft, explore, etc. My aunt/uncle/cousins had property that bordered the creek and there was a big mowed field that we would play all sorts of sports there growing up. Very inventive with invisible players because there may have only been 5 or 6 of us to play a game of mushball or 3 on 3 football......the creek, we would always stop at some point during the game and drink water from the creek. who knows what the hell was in that water, it had a distinct taste to it that tasted like mineral water. I grew up accustom to drinking well water and city water tastes like pool water to me. Chlorine taste, non mineral distilled taste.

I carry bottled water with me while traveling. I tried to do the recycle a plastic bottle and fill with my tap water, what I found was that I would lose track of when the bottle was used and cleaned or actually getting the bottle clean and would find funk growing in the cap of the plastic recycle bottle, so it would get tossed. And also could not offer water to someone, would you want a plastic water bottle that was already opened and refilled? I know I would not. I had a college cross country national meet trip and one of the kids was using the same water bottle to hydrate from. Got sick the day before the meet, speculation was that the lucky water bottle was unsanitary.

Back to the radio station, they liked Evian water, said it has mineral taste to it, not distilled. Voss is another, supposed to be glacial water, although Voss is more about the shape of the bottle and the image that it is the water you want people to see you drinking. The bottle is a clear glass cylinder with gray simple graphics and gray screw on cap. That was a description I once read from their website. Unsure of the taste of it. The other day I saw a 6 pak of Evian in Walmart, so I picked it up to give it a try. Took several gulps of it and yep, tastes like crick water.  

I believe that most people buy the name and popularity of the water brand.  Few know anything about the water.

I watched a documentary on Bottled Water.  They went to a particular distributor and "filmed" the whole process.  It was well water in the NE USA.  The bottler's claim to fame was that they said they filtered everything out of the water.  It had little to no "taste".  He said if it had a taste he would lose customers.  The bottler also said that most people could put their local water in bottles but it wasn't as "Attractive" to them.

It's like selling Ice to Eskimos.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I believe that most people buy the name and popularity of the water brand.  Few know anything about the water.

I watched a documentary on Bottled Water.  They went to a particular distributor and "filmed" the whole process.  It was well water in the NE USA.  The bottler's claim to fame was that they said they filtered everything out of the water.  It had little to no "taste".  He said if it had a taste he would lose customers.  The bottler also said that most people could put their local water in bottles but it wasn't as "Attractive" to them.

It's like selling Ice to Eskimos.

I used to work with a guy that had the opportunity to go into the bottled water industry right when the whole bottled water thing took off. The water plant was going to located and use the water from an Aquafur near a place called Cambridge Springs, PA. He would have been a multi millionaire by now as the product has done very well. but he said, "naw, it will never work. People pay money for something they can get for free?" Cambridge Springs was a place that people from all over the country used to come and bath in the water from the spring, thinking it had theraputic qualities.

I did a bit of label reading the other day on all the water product sold at Walmart. I buy the Aquafina brand because I get 32 for the price of 24 Dasani bottles. If I recall correctly, all used the reverse osmosis process and then add back in their blend of flavor minerals. Some do nothing at all, so you are basically drinking distilled water. The Evian water, it has taste. Like crick water.

Edited by ARP
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, blackjack said:

If you ever get a case of giardiasis, aka "beaver fever", you'll never drink "crick water" straight from the "crick" again. Don't ask me how I know...

I had "beaver fever" as a young man. It didn't matter where I drank.

• Haha 3

My grandparents on my mother's side were really dirt poor.   They lived in a mobile home in a very isolated area that was all brush and sugar sand.  The land wasn't worth anything to anyone, that's why they lived there.   Eventually, long after, the whole area became residential homes at the outskirts of the city.

The had a shallow well that had so much Iron in it, everything it touched was Red.  It looked and smelled like she had been soaking her cigarette butts in the water for a week.  I guess you can get used to anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blackjack said:

If you ever get a case of giardiasis, aka "beaver fever", you'll never drink "crick water" straight from the "crick" again. Don't ask me how I know...

Considering it was somewhere in the range of 45-50 years ago, no one was concerned with it. We were in that water all the time in summer, swimming and playing mostly. No one that I recall ever got sick. Now I'm aware of the risks, then whogas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

Ever had sulfur water? Depends on how much sulfur is in it, it can taste from good to horrible.

I once had an apartment on a cliff,  that had been blasted to make a road below.

The sulfur-water was biblical.  The cold tap produced undrinkable water with a smell...

the hot water invoked The Devil.  Showering was a gag-inducing act of necessity.  You couldn't cook with it or wash clothes in it.

I stiffed the landlord and jacked the place up for lying to me like that.

• Like 1

we only drink  Iceland spring water , and it is proven to come from where he stated ,  city water sucks and i dont trust what they put in it ,  people say buying water is stupid ,  but even crick water you are buying with power to run a well pump  or city water .  

7 hours ago, blackjack said:

Indeed.  Learned that back in the early 80s.  A cheap filter will prevent that 100%.

28 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

You want polio? That's how you get polio.

Enjoy those crutches Gimpy.

Only in Afghanistan, Nigeria, an Pakistan.

14 hours ago, KWalrad said:

You want polio? That's how you get polio.

Enjoy those crutches Gimpy.

Was vaccinated back in the 60's. Family went to the local hs after church and ate sugar cubes that had the vaccine on it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

On my last goat hunt in the Kenai Mountains, I was using ice from an ancient glacier in my Clown Oil. (Crown Royal). Good stuff. I'll be heading up there agaib this fall. The old man can't stay away from that place.

You're the one melting all the glaciers?!?

I'm sending your login name to Greenpeace.

• Haha 1

In middle / high school,  we had a special forested place down by some railroad tracks.  It had a cement-walled,  crik fed containment pond next to the tracks.  It's where we went to hide and light bonfires and drink beer and jump off rope swings.

The water was the most dirtiest, polluted, scuzzy, black, stagnant, catfish and carp infested algae swamp ever.

We loved it.

(If you were just lazily floating out there,  the carp would actually strike and suck your hand or foot into it's mouth)

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

(If you were just lazily floating out there,  the carp would actually strike and suck your hand or foot into it's mouth)

Fish head?

Kind of like innertubing nekkid down the river and having the fish nibble on your hemmorroids....

(Only different.)

• Haha 1

When I had the last system installed about 3 years ago, I was borderline as to whether I needed a softner. The water is softer than city water, but a softener would have removed all of the residual iron content that the treatment system did not remove. I passed on that softener.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:08 PM, janice6 said:

My grandparents on my mother's side were really dirt poor.   They lived in a mobile home in a very isolated area that was all brush and sugar sand.  The land wasn't worth anything to anyone, that's why they lived there.   Eventually, long after, the whole area became residential homes at the outskirts of the city.

The had a shallow well that had so much Iron in it, everything it touched was Red.  It looked and smelled like she had been soaking her cigarette butts in the water for a week.  I guess you can get used to anything.

Your post made me think of recent discovery I made about strange looking natural springs you can find around my parts. They look like a chemical spill and the pond formed down stream is just as horrid looking. I came across a term called "Bog Iron" that partially describes what is going on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

DcP3l6wVQAAHH6R.jpg.25af6423f521338454aaaf0a5e1c8274.jpg

• Thanks 1