Would you ever buy a display case handgun?

Duluth

So I bought a Glock 19 4th gen today. The only one they had was the display model. I took it home and broke it down and everything looked fine. Should I be concerned it was a display gun?

It was brand new.

Edited by Duluth

Local gun shop isn't really big enough to keep a lot of guns in stock that they don't display, so the first one sold always comes out of the display case.  Never had an issue with any of them that could be associated with being on display.  

I might be concerned if I was buying a high value gun as an investment, but a Glock?  I'd be more worried about why they are hiding it in back somewhere and not letting people see it more than anyone being able to hurt it just because it got handled by a few random customers before I got there.

• Like 1

If the store allows dry firing, it likely has some of the initial grit (if it had any) already worked out.

If they pull a gun out of back stock I always compare the two and get the one that feels best to me. It usually winds up being the one that was in the display case.

• Like 1

The last Glock I bought was a 2010 production 27 with the fry pan finish I prefer, I got it in 2015.  It was advertised as having fewer than 200 rounds through it and on examination that appeared correct. That 27 had more use than your 19 got from being in a display case.

Edited by G26S239

I bought this FN at almost half of what new price is. it was used and I don't know how many rounds went through it. Came with original case. you could tell it had been fired when tore down but no wear other than small amount of bluing missing on barrel . it functions perfect. it came with three extra mags too.

SANY3103.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

As long as it wasn't the range borrow pistol, no worries.

Around these parts,  range rentals have to use range ammo. So while they may not get cleaned very often (and the get handled a lot), mechanically they're sound and usually well broken in. No need for a twenty-five cent trigger job.

None of the many firearms that I own were purchased brand new. Much like automobiles, I prefer to let someone else take the financial hit when new, and I'll take the discount when used. That said, every thing gets the once over inspection prior to purchase. So far, I've never purchased a lemon.

Most issues with firearms are from "perishable" items any way; springs and such, and are fairly inexpensive to replace. Normal "wear and tear" if you will.

I don't mind a few worn spots or scratches on my weapons, it's a sign of use. You'll not find any safe queens here, just tools with a specific purpose.

There was a thread here (or on GT) a few years ago regarding the number of rounds one would put through a weapon before being comfortable with it as a carry piece. As I said before, inspect it, buy it, clean it, shoot the crap out of it. If it works for you, carry it. If not, safe it or sell it.

Edited by KWalrad
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

AFAIK the only guns any gun shop I've been to sell that AREN'T display guns are shotguns.  Other than that, you look at the one in the case, and if you like it that's the one you get.

Some gun shops do that but the last few new guns I bought were brought from the back after I had carefully handled the display guns. It's a practice going back decades depending on the store. In any case a display gun is an easy choice for me assuming it hasn't picked up any bad marks from drops or abuse.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:40 AM, Duluth said:

So I bought a Glock 19 4th gen today. The only one they had was the display model. I took it home and broke it down and everything looked fine. Should I be concerned it was a display gun?

It was brand new.

I don't think I've ever bought a gun that wasn't from the display case. What worries you? They're not "display models", they just regular guns in a display case. They sell the one on display, then put another one in there. They're all the same.

• Like 1

I almost bought a Beretta PX4 Storm compact in urban gray that was a floor model. Unique, last only one,  and of course has the rotating barrel. Just about to say "I'll take it " and I noticed a scratch on the slide. I had to pass, the shop wanted fool retail and they decided right there to send it back to the mother ship.

• Thanks 1