Is there a frozen pizza that doesn't disappoint?

geofri

Is there ANY frozen pizza that is decent???

Closest pizza shack is Domino's which I haven't had for a LONG time.. and don't really like.  Been craving pizza for weeks, decided to splurge today and didn't want to drive far. 

Was gonna cost me $22.00+ for one xlrg pizza.. Couldn't bare to blow that much money, and ended up going to the grocery store, grabbing mushrooms, onions, banana pepper rings(because they never have enough good topings!), and a frozen Digiorno.  I haven't not spruced up a frozen pizza in years. Do people actually choke them down OEM/stock??

My main two complaints,

1. They all seem to have a similar taste/flavor. Ever notice that??? A bit salty.. hard to describe.. hints of the same taste in $1. personal no-name brand crap, and $10 pizzas. 
  2. The crust! Directions always say bake on rack no pan. I cut the roof of my mouth on that hard crunchy crust every time! and then usually I burn my mouth shortly thereafter.

Frozen crust is never even close to takeout pizza. the heck. 

Took my mom years.. but she finally perfected making pizzas from scratch shortly before I moved out and away... Guess I gotta start myself. 

1. Domino's used to suck.  They are great now if the local restaurant isn't failing.  Get coupons off their website and save a bundle.

2.  If you want a frozen pizza to not suck, your oven probably won't cut it as is.  Get a pizza stone and know enlightenment.

• Like 1

honestly  hunt brothers sold at some gas stations are pretty good and cheap and no charge for toppings , you can get all  none.   but yeh  they mostly all suck . 

best pizza ever was here in the 80ties  called  MR  Gattis    

Last frozen pizza I ate was from Walmart. A Sam's Choice stuffed crust 5 meat pizza.  Crust was decently soft, plenty of cheese in the outer crust.  I think it was $6 if I recall correctly.

5a239d45-8b0c-4d09-9ca8-f8e77e37ca38_4.c988462d68aa349ea234d29181e803c9.jpeg.06ac9ac38fc930e2427c595e818be801.jpeg

Other than that I used to love the old totino's party pizzas.  My favorite way to cook them was get the cast iron pan nice and hot with just a little butter on it, toss the pizza on the hot pan for a minute before putting it into the oven.  The newer square ones just don't fit the pan very well.

• Like 1

It's not a question of "best," but a question of "least worst."

DiGiorno multi-meat pies are a good start. let it thaw slightly before putting it into a preheated oven. While it's thawing, add extra toppings to taste, and cover with a layer of shredded mozzarella. Gotta keep a pretty precise eye on the clock- there's about 2 minutes of perfection before the crust gets too crispy.

• Like 1

The crust is the big issue.  Most use self rising flour which makes them suck right off the bat.   Cook them after freezing and you get a large hard crappy crust.  Yeast and fresh is king in pizza crusts. 

Buddies pizza here in Dearborn sells their pies half cooked and frozen.  You just pop them in the oven to finish and they are great.  That's probably not too common though.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:01 AM, gwalchmai said:

ALDI has some decent choices, and they're cheap. But yeah, you're not gonna close your eyes and think you got take-out from a real pizza place.

Forgot about ALDI when I posted. If one was closer I would have gone there.  I think those are the best frozen I've had! 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, Cougar_ml said:

Other than that I used to love the old totino's party pizzas.  My favorite way to cook them was get the cast iron pan nice and hot with just a little butter on it, toss the pizza on the hot pan for a minute before putting it into the oven.  The newer square ones just don't fit the pan very well.

You ever work in a video store? ;)

3 cups of bread flour

2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1/2 cups of water

1 tablespoon of good olive oil.  Don't be a cheap ass.  Buy the good stuff.

Mix it up, drizzle with good olive oil (and I mean GOOD olive oil.  Spend 8 or 10 dollars on a bottle and thank me later),cover, and let rise for an hour.

Punch it down, and cut it in half, and you have two crusts.  Wrap in plastic wrap, and store it in a bowl in the fridge.  Overnight or for two weeks.  Or whatever

When you're ready, clear off the kitchen table, sprinkle it with flour and roll out your crust big enough to comfortably  cover the 10 1/2-12" cast iron skillet that you're going to buy.

Oil the skillet with that top shelf olive oil, drape it with the dough, and pinch in the crust.  Set it on the stove to rise while your oven heats.

Pre-heat your oven as high as it'll go.  Mine's 550.

Take it off the oven and dress your dough with sauce, no more than two toppings, (a little goes a long way), and cheese.  Sprinkle with oregano.

Bake on the bottom shelf for 12-15 minutes.

it should serve 4 normal humans.

Edited by jame
  • Like 1