Telemarketers and robocalls

Dric902

Caller Id, an answering machine (that all your friends know you are using to screen calls), and

Digitone ProSeries Call Blocker - Call Block All Unwanted Robocalls, Backlit Display, Block Names or Numbers, 1,000 Numbers Virtual Memory, Last Call Remote Entry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N45UW7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51Lz4F2UAZL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2

I just thought I hated telemarketers when I had a house phone. Since I got rid of that, and just have a cellphone, I hate them even worse. That thing is a device for the convenience of me, my friends and family. Not a tool for sales people to bother me with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it.  If it's important, they'll leave a msg.  Then I'LL decide if I want to kill call them back or not.  And I'll decide if I'm going to block them then, too.  I was getting too many stupid, "Hi, this is customer service from someplace your just went to/used/whatever and we'd like to ask you a few questions about how you feel about our service..."  How 'bout "Your service was fine til you started wasting my time with these stupid phone calls, if I had a complaint about it I would have made it already."  Gah.  Now I have to call the nimrods trying to sell me a water softener back... They won't give me a damn quote on the phone, they want to come out and waste my time with a 45 minute long well water quality test, and then spend 30  more minutes trying to upsell me on a filter and nine million other things I don't want, don't need, and will refuse to buy because they wasted my time.  

• Like 4

Mr. Number is sorta a "community" app.  Any call that gets thru, you can block it and report it as spam.  That's how the list gets longer on blocked calls.  I love it because I get to block all the robo calls from the bastards that call simple because my area code and the first 3 numbers of my phone number are the same as their crap number...they target numbers like that.  Gives me a feeling of REVENGE!!!:angrysoapbox:

5 hours ago, Ricordo said:

4 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Like another post mentioned, you can take a look at   https://www.nomorobo.com/

Has a 2.1 star rating on App Store

robokiller has 4.6 and still doesn’t stop enough of them. But it does have answerbots that are fun and tweak the telemarketers.

Im on call and wind up sleeping weird hours, day or night. But I have to keep the phone on.

when they start waking me up two or three times, it pisses me off.

Got a call the other evening from a guy saying he just had a call from my number for a really low interest rate for a credit card.  Reported it to Pa. AJ the next day.  Lady there said it's become very popular and FCC is looking into it.  Sure does make me feel better knowing the Feds are handling it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Has a 2.1 star rating on App Store

robokiller has 4.6 and still doesn’t stop enough of them. But it does have answerbots that are fun and tweak the telemarketers.

Im on call and wind up sleeping weird hours, day or night. But I have to keep the phone on.

when they start waking me up two or three times, it pisses me off.

I had that problem once.  After the third call, I got my referee whistle, you know, the kind you can hear in the nosebleeds?  ‘Cause they even record the robot call’s.  For some reason, I don’t get to use it much anymore.  ?????

Hawk 

I used to like messing with them but even that get old after a while.  got so bad I had the land line taken out, was going to anyway. get a few on the cell but I don't answer it if I don't recognize the number. I also replaced the land line with magic jack. if you've never heard of it, it's worth checking into. 35 dollars a year and can call anywhere and it's unlimited. I have never gotten a telemarket call on it and I've had it a few years now.

15 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Caller Id, an answering machine (that all your friends know you are using to screen calls), and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N45UW7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51Lz4F2UAZL._SL1000_.jpg

The problem is the "spoof" numbers, once even myself to myself.  I usually set it on Alexa and ask for angry rock and put the phone there until they hang up.  Yesterday, when they did that to me, I asked if they liked penises and hung up.  The best I can do is put a separate phone sounds for numbers I don't have in my directory.  The only problem there is when Doctor's Office's that are large with multiple phone numbers you have to look.  Like the ptosis surgery I have coming up.

Now, the home phone doesn't get nailed so much as the cell.  That seems to start up the moment the world knows you are retired and somehow gullible because you are retired.  I do find it funny when the phone tries to announce who is calling.  The NRA, always sounds like a pissed off Klingon.  "Call from the NEERRAAAAH!"

Edited by Moshe

(Nomorobo)...Has a 2.1 star rating on App Store

I have the strong suspicion that most, if not all, of the negative reviewers are not following instructions. Here's a snippet--- https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone/DO-NOT-USE-NOMOROBO/td-p/856607  Reminds me of a thread  where the OP complained that the trigger on his handgun was not doing anything. After ten or twelve replies the conclusion was that his handgun had a magazine safety and no mag inserted.

Nomorobo is not going to be 100% effective. But in my case it comes pretty darn close to that. And if one slips through I can report it for their analysis.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 1

I for one am glad that skynet is so concerned about my student loans, and my car's extended warranty.

I use MetroPCS (TMobile lite) might get a legit call once or twice a month. Metro blocks scam calls for me with my permission. No caller ID I recognize, tell it to the answering machine.

Not my idea or preference, but text messages seem to be everyone's preference lately.

Edited by Paul53

If I don't know who it is,   I don't answer!  TADA!

I give my number to NO ONE.  I get, maybe, three unknown calls per month.

Everyone whom complains about dozens of calls each day GAVE away their numbers.

"BUT IT'S A FREE APP!!  I JUST TOUCH ONE BUTTON AND THE PIZZA GETS DELIVERED!!"